It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:23

New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Feb 2021, 12:27 • #1 
This is my first wonderod and I think based on the tube, ferrules, decal, etc that it dates to about 1950 or 51. The date code on the rod is kfa which clearly is wrong since it would mean 1915. I appreciate any thoughts from wonderod experts on the board.

Post 28 Feb 2021, 19:21 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
It's good looking.
In fact it looks like it is in excellent shape. I would love to see pictures of the rod sock.
The wraps look like thread and not the fiberglass that is on some of the later rods.

I have both the 1290 and 1280T and the taper is very similar. Congratulations on the find.

If you search through old posts on the forum, you will see at least one other case of mis-stamped Shakespeares in those early years.

Post 28 Feb 2021, 19:42 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
That is a PAT PENDING rod which would make it an early one.

Post 28 Feb 2021, 20:18 • #4 
Thanks for the replies. I think the wraps are fiberglass. They are not thread. Pictures of the bag attached. Let me know if you want a different view. Navy and orange with yellow pull string.

Post 01 Mar 2021, 21:32 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I would guess it is early 50s and the wraps are interesting. The fiberglass wraps I've seen are very clearly glass yarn that wrap the guide feet and they don't take color well. I think they were originially painted. I have had to cut them off to replace some worn out guides. It took a couple of utility knife blades to do it. The rod is in such good shape, I wonder if this is just an intact paint job or if it is some sort of color preserved thread.

The sock looks similar to ones I have but looks darker in color. You found a very desireable wonderrod there. It's still not worth a ton, other than the joy you get from it. But it is one of the best glass trout rods from the 50's and one of the earliest.

Post 01 Mar 2021, 21:38 • #6 
I think it is a good paint job on the class yarn. The piece that runs under the guide connecting the wraps on the feet is clear.

Post 01 Mar 2021, 22:13 • #7 
Guide
Here's a No.1390 from May, 1949. Looks pretty much identical to yours. Same kind of wraps. Original bag and fluted tube.

Post 02 Mar 2021, 08:17 • #8 
Master Guide
Nice Wonderod !! Some things I've learned about them from reading posts from Gaddis and others is that the early models like this have a light balsa inner core that was the mandrel the fiberglass blank was made on. The fibers in these versions are all lengthwise, the spiral appearance is from the cellophane wrap that tightly wound about it during curing, not the fiber direction.

If you see any lengthwise cosmetic cracks with ugly streaks / stains, it's actually mildew in the balsa from moisture that seeped through the crack. I've found that a dab of bleach and flexing the blank can eliminate or at least reduce the staining. A followup very thin "finger rub" of Threadmaster Lite can seal up the cracks. Keep it thin.

The "Double-Bilt" hollow Wonderod versions that appeared later were made on steel mandrels and have an inner glass spiral / hoop layer that discourages any cracking.

The "floss" wraps were "resinated nylon" (according to an ad I found), and were painted. If the paint is chipped, use Testors #1104 Dark Red paint to touch them up. It's available in hobby shops.

Post 02 Mar 2021, 12:36 • #9 
Cool pictures. Thanks. And the information. The rod has a couple of small lateral cracks in one area. They are tight and I was thinking of giving them a light coat of epoxy.

New Topic Add Reply