It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 01:57

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Feb 2021, 01:47 • #1 
Emeritus
Hello Everyone,
I have been cleaning out my tackle room and I found this beauty that I bought on Ebay probably 15 years ago. I am wondering if anyone knows more about it than I do. I think the custom series were the highest level Garcia Conolon rods at the time and I think this was the predecessor to the Wulff and Ritz rods but I am really not sure. Also, I am considering selling and wondering if anyone could give me an estimated value.
The rod appears unfished to me. I have not fished it. I would not say that it is mint though but close for a 50 year old rod.
Thanks for any information

Post 12 Feb 2021, 09:03 • #2 
Piscator
Surprised nobody has commented on this yet - really nice and collectible package from the time Garcia Conolon was in the top tier of rods.
Thanks for such a nice photo presentation.

Post 12 Feb 2021, 09:40 • #3 
Sport
great looking outfit. the rod speaks for itself. the case: WOW!

Post 12 Feb 2021, 10:20 • #4 
Master Guide
http://www.realsreels.com/RodsGarcia.html
http://www.realsreels.com/rods/RodsGarc ... dstiny.jpg
http://www.realsreels.com/rods/_RodsGarcia1969_8a.jpg

Fly Rod
2731 - 8', dry-fly action, two-piece, with six gold-plated guides and tip-top, plus an Elgus genuine agate stripping guide in gold-plated stainless steel mount. Featherweight Sizematic ferrule with alignment dots. "Cushion Foam" handle, double-locking reel seat. For C, HDH, and HDF ( AFTMA 6) lines. In beautifully designed, anodized, foam-rubber cushioned, hinged aluminum case.

It looks like their lineup in 1971 was organized by:
Big Game - to take on anything that swims
Custom - most luxurious in the world
Deluxe - impeccable quality and taste
Gold - new color, classic quality
Brown - with new, rich mahogany color
Blue - solidly engineered for life
Green - quality at an economy price

I find it interesting that the foam grip was only on the most premium of their line. Per their ad copy "All Custom rods, with the exception of those designed for saltwater big game fishing, have exclusive "Cushion Foam" grips which provide a distinctive touch of elegance found on no other rod. These "Cushion Foam" grips feel like velvet, and provide a remarkably comfortable -- much more comfortable than cork -- non-skid surface, even when wet. In addition, they last considerably longer than natural cork."

Post 12 Feb 2021, 11:11 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Well, you asked so I hope you don't mind an opinion ventured. That is a gaudied up Conolon in the short-lived style of the time period when 'glass had been accepted as a norm in to-be-used fly rods, and a smaller number of true custom fly rods from small shops commanded upscale prices for refined performance and quality. Now come the larger production marketing efforts to fancy up a production rod with ornamentation in the style of 'glass spinning rods and a new grip material that today would draw terms like "game-changing" and "cutting edge" on Facebook. Kind of like a Ford Falcon with a hood scoop, big tires, and pinstriping. This didn't last much longer than foam grips on anything but the least expensive fly rods, and tasteful restraint prevailed, as it always had, in small-shop builds where "custom" or "deluxe" were not just marketing terms, and again in larger production top end 'glass rods with good fittings and conservative cosmetics. Ask yourself at the time, would you have selected that rod or a Phillipson, even if it wasn't called the Lalapalooza model and didn't come in a display box.

That makes the rod kind of an anomalie or curio that might be valuable to a very small collector niche. Otherwise, less than $100 on a good day.

If you like the look, that wouldmake it a hoot to fish with. Even in their plainest forms, those 8' 6-7 Conolons are versatile all around rods that, like others of the time period and type, perform very well.

Post 12 Feb 2021, 11:24 • #6 
Emeritus
Thanks very much to everyone for all that information. I might try to trade it and see if I can have some fun. Trade's have been working out really well for me lately. I have not fished it and probably would not. Most of the rods I fish are later.

Post 12 Feb 2021, 11:30 • #7 
Master Guide
For what it's worth (nothing?) I've also got a couple of "8' dry-fly action ... For C, HCH, and HCF (AFTMA 6) lines" rods from that same catalog. The difference being that my six stainless steel snake guides are not gold plated, and my hard-chromed stripping guide isn't Elgus genuine agate. The biggest changes, though, might be that I have a cork handle and three ferrules on my four piece B-541 rods.
http://www.realsreels.com/rods/_RodsGarcia1969_16.jpg
I found that they needed a heavy reel in order to cast well.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68278

I'm not sure what the letter after the number represents. It isn't listed in the catalog. I'd assume it's a date code, but can't be certain. My B541 has a B after it, your rod a D, and I've seen listings for Cs. Maybe my rod is 2 years older than yours?

Post 12 Feb 2021, 11:43 • #8 
Piscator
The basic taper here makes so much sense for Conolon, because it was their para taper spinning rods that made them famous in the 70s.
They were top-dollar everywhere, and offered a bargain series that was carried by discount stores like Gibson's.

As far as the EVA, it was new-tech then, and we know the marketing blurb about outlasting cork is wrong.
It wasn't until the next decade that EVA became the norm on cheap rods.

In the late 70s, EVA even became an upgrade on bicycle handlebars, and those rotting grips are hated by venerable bicycle collectors/riders.

Post 12 Feb 2021, 11:45 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Very cool in that 1970s way.I have a more subdued but well made GC in the same case.I have 4 or 5 rods by different mainstream makers that are "custom"or otherwise blinged up with gold guides etc.2 Heddons, an H-I Custom ,Daiwa Custom with fancy wraps and foam handle,Phillipson JP.Mostly gimmicks in a crowded market at the time but some are probably decent or better flyrods.My prize is the only black GC i own.8' BASS BUG rod with a tip over glass ferrule and is great at throwing bass bugs.Can throw all or most of a bass bug line with a dig popper.I love to fish this rod.GC made some really high quality stuff.I had 2 medium action spinning rods with all agate guides.Bought them in new condition.I gave 1 to my brother with a new in the box Mitchell 301 for his 50th.This was top of the line gear when we were kids and being a southpaw the hand me down gear was always awkward for him,I still have the other rod.It is fun to find as new stuff from your childhood.You might get more for that rod than you think.No disrespect WP.I sold an old hot wheels car for 500 dollars a few years ago,probably 79 cents when new,

Post 12 Feb 2021, 11:54 • #10 
Master Guide
Hersh, per their copy, the Deluxe and the Gold series fly rods were packed in the hinged aluminum case. Yours may be one of those.
http://www.realsreels.com/rods/_RodsGarcia1970_3.jpg

Post 12 Feb 2021, 12:16 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks CP.The foam inside the case was badly deteriorated and the rod is in a tube somewhere in my pile.I do believe the rod matches the # on the case tho.Staggered ferrule with a stainless? spigot.I just love the case,i traded some antique tools for it at a flea market.I could easily get by with 5 or 6 flyrods but must have 50.I just keep "finding" them.My wife who now thinks i am nuts,can now spot a flyrod by the guides among piles of junk at a flea market or eastate sale or by the skinny tubes they come in vs spinning rods.I have sold 6 reels this year so far and gifted 2 rods and reels.I have even added an clunker extra reel with a couple of sales.

Post 12 Feb 2021, 19:51 • #12 
Master Guide
Well the marketing must of worked...these rods were so well thought of in 1970, in astronaut gift tradition of the time, the Americans gave Russian astronauts these rods along with the presentation version of the Mitchell 300.

New Topic Add Reply