It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:14

New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Feb 2021, 02:06 • #1 
Sport
I m looking ay buying my second fiberglass fly rod. I am from the states living in France. I just bought a 7'6 5 weight Pierre Seyler conolon rod for 60 dollars, but have not received it from the seller. Just Came across a 7 foot 4 weight Hardy Jet hardy but the asking price is around 200 dollars. Couple questions 1. Any info on the Conolon would be helpful. I looked every where on the French forums ans all I found is that they were a artisan shop that made rods with imported blanks. 2. Is the Jet worth 200 3. As far as fishing goes will the conolon suffice for fishing or will the jet be a better rod. I am not looking at collecting just fishing them. Thanks for helping out a newb.

El Gato

Post 04 Feb 2021, 05:24 • #2 
Master Guide
Welcome to the forum.

The Jet is a fair price for that model and these are fine fly rods. Condition will naturally impact the price.

Interested to see a photograph of your Conolon when time permits.

Post 04 Feb 2021, 05:56 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I owned 3-4 Hardy JET rods several years ago and one of them was the 7'. I found it to be fairly stiff and faster action than the longer JET rods - maybe more of a 5wt if my memory serves. I liked the more moderate action of the longer ones and they were more true to weight, IMO. Here in the US $200 price is about right or maybe low if the rod is in EX condition. You don't see JET rods come up for sale often here, and especially not the 7'. I have no idea what the market price would be in Europe. For simple utility, you might want to go to a longer rod for a second rod. Unless you're fishing tiny streams, an 8' glass rod will serve you better in general. Or 8'-9' in graphite.

Post 04 Feb 2021, 06:22 • #4 
Sport

Post 04 Feb 2021, 09:53 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
That’s a pristine looking conolon. It looks more classy and subdued than many of their factory builds.

Post 04 Feb 2021, 11:30 • #6 
Guide
I have the 7' 4wt. Hardy Fibalite, which came just after the JET series. I believe the actions to be fairly similar, but think I remember reading that the JET was a bit slower. As tiptop states above, the rod is fast for glass. I enjoy mine best with a 5 weight line. And $200 is about what I paid- in nice condition.

Post 04 Feb 2021, 13:31 • #7 
Guide
There’s always a selection of Jets and their successors on eBay UK, and prices are often relatively modest. Condition varies a lot, of course. Shorter rods are rarer and generally get higher prices. Use the completed auctions advanced search option to see what they actually sell for.

I believe Pezon et Michel also used Conolon blanks. I’ve handled but not fished one (in India of all places). It felt very nice in the hand and I very much wanted to fish it. I suspect your getting very good value with the Pierre Sayler rod.

Post 09 Feb 2021, 08:08 • #8 
Sport
Rod and reels arrived. Now to find the best match. Thanks for all the info and advice.

Post 09 Feb 2021, 09:39 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for showing ! Classic appearance. Great reels!

Can't tell from the pic. Ordinarily the wraps at the ferrule would continue up over its smaller outer diameter section. Was a clear wrap used there, or is it not wrapped? Not critical, but a wrap continuing from the blank onto the ferrule is kind of an attachment failsafe. And if the ferrule does start to pull loose of the blank, a void in the wrap is created, and thus the loosening is more easily noticed.

Post 09 Feb 2021, 12:13 • #10 
Sport
it's clear wrap. The guy I bought it from changed the guides and used clear wrap of some sort.

Post 12 Feb 2021, 14:01 • #11 
Guide
Just purchased--it's on its way--a JET 9' #7 from Adams Angling for $200, which, judging from the above, is a decent price. I hope to use it for bass bugging. Seems to me that the school of thought that holds vintage fiberglass is only worthwhile at 8' and less causes us to neglect some fine longer rods; I have a Phillipson Royal 8 1/2 feet I fish with a #7 and it's a very sweet rod. Old-school bass buggers held that slower rods worked best for bugs, and I think that's still true, hence my liking for fiberglass. And am I the only one that thinks, in any size, sink-tip lines cast better with glass than graphite?

New Topic Add Reply