It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:26

New Topic Add Reply
Who made it?
Post 22 Jan 2021, 15:29 • #1 
Glass Fanatic

I got this rod about 10+ years ago. No script showing maker but has the following markings in black ink in line just above the end of the grip...7’.841.1:2 3/8oz. I can’t replicate the dots between the 7 and 841 as they are actually not periods but are mid high of the height of the numbers. More particulars...the rod is actually 7’ 3/4”, the guides are black, tiptop is blued, the spigot is solid fiberglass, the brown/maroon thread seems metallic with a reflection in light, the guide thread trim is black, the decorative thread wrap just above the script has a three wrap spiral in between two 1/2” thread sections, the stripping guide is an Allan mildrum guide with the Allan name imprinted on two of the frame supports, the reel seat hardware is aluminum with the cap Garrison style and the ring swaged. Any info you might derive from this description would be appreciated. Roy

Re: Who made it?
Post 22 Jan 2021, 18:57 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
That looks like a nice rod Roy. Has a Sceptre-like look, don't you think? ...blank and spigot color resemblance...

Post 22 Jan 2021, 20:32 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
That was one of my thoughts, but the blank is clearly phenolic resin/tobacco glass. My limited knowledge of Sceptres is they had a smooth, dark Hardy like finish. Roy

Post 23 Jan 2021, 06:35 • #4 
Guide
Many years ago I purchased several unpainted Sceptre blanks from a defunct business in Ohio , name was something like "Fisherman's Book Shelf" or something like that. They were tobacco glass. The rods Hardy made from the blanks were painted brown.

Post 23 Jan 2021, 08:45 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Lots of good pics on the site show the brown color of the Sceptre blanks, too many to select just one, so check using the search function.

Sceptre was my first thought also. One telltale is an extra "flag" reinforcing layer of cloth at the female ferrule. But that might not be visible under the wrap, nor the very, very slight increase in diameter or wall thickness there. The white spigot is another, but anybody could install a white spigot in a one-piece, cut-to-ferrule blank that came in that traditional "tobacco" brown, or a repair on a two-piece, Conolon, for instance.

The length, like all fly rod measurements, is nominal, and variations are accounted for by ferrule fit, installation of the reel seat, and any minor trimming a builder chooses to do. Uniformity (although the length may still be slightly different than the labled length) is seen in production line rods.

That is almost certainly a hobby or small shop build with markings to the builder's liking. The Sceptre blanks, like many other quality blanks of the time, were provided unlabeled except for a temporary tag or sticker.

Post 23 Jan 2021, 08:51 • #6 
Piscator
The thing is, that's such classic Brit hardware and handle configuration - my first thought is the rod was imported in that finished state.

Post 23 Jan 2021, 08:57 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah, good point. All the more reason to try a very thorough Sceptre search here that might turn one up with the same hardware. It could be that someone provided a kit with that hardware. Rods of the period were often fitted in that style, so builder's choice could explain it as well, or mimicking the look of the factory version of the same rod.

Post 23 Jan 2021, 09:04 • #8 
Piscator
Also, being in Washington state, he's so close to BC and potential importers.

Post 23 Jan 2021, 12:13 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Had to go grab my 7.5ft factory Sceptre, has that same reel seat. Only numbers on mine, other than 7 1/2 ', is 97H.
Nice rod, thanks for posting.

New Topic Add Reply