It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:34

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Jan 2021, 09:58 • #1 
Master Guide
I’ll confess I’d never even noticed a ferrule plug until I bought this Kancho T&T Heirloom 5wt stunner from Rodney Bo.
These decorative protective caps seem at once essential equipment and fine jewelry for this rod. Now I am wondering what is the history and origin of these plugs for the open ferrule sections? Was there a time when they were more common to see? Do I notice them more from the European and international builders? Are they like cuff links of the sartorial realm: not totally practical but wonderful to have as an added flash element when you are “dressing fancy”?

Last edited by DaveS on 21 Jan 2021, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post 21 Jan 2021, 10:39 • #2 
Guide
I love the uplocking /hooded/slide ring Reel Seat. Thank you for this opportunity to admire. On the other hand, I know absolutely nothing about ferrule plugs...

Best, Bob

Post 21 Jan 2021, 10:59 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
They certainly can be ornamental for display, but they also protect against dust/grit and crush damage. A very nice, if nonessential, touch.

Post 21 Jan 2021, 12:02 • #4 
Master Guide
I assumed they were to keep dirt/grit out but the crush-proofing makes sense too!

Post 21 Jan 2021, 16:03 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
My modern cane rod has them,really thought it was a nice touch and practical.

Post 21 Jan 2021, 22:53 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Very practical with metal ferrules and I have made a few from violin pegs. I don't think glass ferrules collect grit as much as metal or it may be that the plug prevents oxidation of the metal and cleans the female as it is removed, in any event my experiments convinced me that the metal ferrules work better if plugs are used.

Post 21 Jan 2021, 22:59 • #7 
Master Guide
Good to know about plugs for metal ferrules. I’ll search for some ideas for my bamboo rods. I don’t have violin pegs handy but smaller cork stops for kitchen use might do the trick.

Post 25 Jan 2021, 10:51 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
The first plugs I recall seeing were on Payne bamboo rods, I always assumed to keep dirt from getting in the female. Hardy also furnished them on their bamboo rods and I seem to recall Ron Kusse offering them upon request.

Later I saw them on Hardy glass rods and now on a few custom glass builds where I feel their purpose is more about bling than anything else.

Post 25 Jan 2021, 12:57 • #9 
Master Guide
Bling can definitely be said of my Kancho build above!

Post 25 Jan 2021, 18:27 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
There is nothing wrong with bling in my book. In my world, a pretty rod that fishes great is greater than a beater rod that fishes just as great...

In other words, I'd rather drive a Ferrari than a Kia if getting there is all that matters...

Gorgeous rod BTW!!

Post 25 Jan 2021, 20:55 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I may some how attach the plug to the sock .Otherwise it will have about the same life expectancy as nippers pliers forceps etc.

Post 25 Jan 2021, 23:27 • #12 
Master Guide
Bamboozle, thank you. I was worried about it feeling too pretty to fish, but I got over that right away and caught bass with it in my kayak. So it has been blessed. I do think it deserves some beautiful trout connections so I’ll be chasing those north Texas stockers until I can take it to the Rockies this spring.

Hersh, I have the same thoughts about losing those beautiful little plugs. Like cuff links, they seem like an awfully easy item to lose in action or misplace in between taking off or putting on. Luckily, Kancho included a special little cloth bag that matches the rod sock, so there’s an obvious place for them to go when not in use!

Post 26 Jan 2021, 08:11 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Some builders, (I believe Hardy is one of them) furnished a rod sack with a tie down flap. In that flap is a pocket to store the ferrule plugs.

If I had with rod with ferrule plugs and no place to store them when fishing, I'd just put them in the reel case of the reel I used with that rod that day.

New Topic Add Reply