It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:15

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Jan 2021, 11:28 • #1 
Master Guide
I pulled the trigger on buying this one before Christmas and it was waiting for me when I got home. Sorry if this should be added to another thread but I didn’t find any other posts that featured a 7wt sweetheart that looks like this. Blank is a pretty brown in decent shape. Cork is dirty but not pitted. Reel seat is immaculate, but the unlocking butt screw cap (plastic?) is a little scuffed up. Can anyone help me with dating it?

Listing was for Wright & McGill Eagle Claw Sweetheart 8’6” 7wt. Says model “No. SH300” The additional length indicator in metric cm makes me think late 70s perhaps? I bought it mostly because it was *oddly* paired with a very dusty original Ross Colorado 0 and I love RRs. Speaking of which I can’t find much about period when Ross made these these original zero size click and pawl reels.

Also came with a long DB Dun cordura rod/reel combo case, redolent of cigarette smoke but otherwise in decent shape.

Thank you for any help on rod or reel info. I look forward to cleaning up both, and casting the rod paired with a different reel and 7 line. Cheers.

Last edited by DaveS on 09 Jan 2021, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post 08 Jan 2021, 14:10 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
looks good- can't help you with dating the rod

Circa1990's Colorado 0 is pretty small for that set up - I like mine match with UL rods or shorter glass offerings. I'd keep in fish it it you desire a shorter lighter rod in glass for example a modern 3/4 or and older 5 wt.

Les

Post 08 Jan 2021, 16:20 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks! Yes I know that 0 is way too small for the 7. Wondered why it was set up that way but honestly, I wanted the reel as much if not more than the rod. I have other Ross reels but not a 0. Looks like this one had been gathering dust since the early 90s! I already have it all cleaned up and will use it for my 2, 3 and 4wts.
Before:

After:

Last edited by DaveS on 08 Jan 2021, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post 08 Jan 2021, 18:50 • #4 
Administrator
Based on that early ceramic stripper guide, I'm guessing the rod was built in the mid to late 70s.

Tom

Post 08 Jan 2021, 20:19 • #5 
Master Guide
Thank you, Tom! Any idea what the butt cap is made of?

Post 10 Jan 2021, 01:52 • #6 
Master Guide
Early 90s for the Colorado sounds right to me as well. Bought my Colorado 1 new from the San Mateo sportsman's expo in that time frame.

Post 11 Jan 2021, 10:55 • #7 
Master Guide
Thank you.That's fun to hear. Looks like the San Mateo Expo moved to Sacramento?

Post 12 Jan 2021, 00:00 • #8 
Master Guide
Unfortunately the Expo is long gone. Enjoyed going there for years..tackle browsing, casting competition, and chatting with like minded fishing fanatics.

Now there's the fly fishing only show in nearby Pleasanton, it's a pretty good time too.

Post 02 Mar 2021, 08:24 • #9 
Master Guide
Finally took this one out to the pond. Cleaned up the soiled cork with Murphy’s and a little elbow grease action with a Magic Eraser. Lined it up with an OS Leland 7wt and a hopper dropper setup. I enjoyed casting it; found I could shoot this line across the whole pond, especially if I stopped with the rod tip nice and high. Caught some green sunfish that put a decent bend in it. Bit like using 00 buckshot for squirrel hunting though.

I also took my Browning Silaflex 322980 along to throw with the same line and I definitely prefer casting it. Someone here in an older post wrote that this rod will have you dropping your flies onto a floating leaf just because you can. I’ll second that. I see why this period of Silaflex sticks have a devoted following. Can’t wait to fish this for bigger trout and bass, too.

New Topic Add Reply