It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:53

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Jan 2021, 20:11 • #1 
Master Guide
Fenwick or Garcia or ? FM5523 7 1/2' 5wt older fly rod. I'm guessing it's glass, but not sure as I've only seen photos of it. It looks like it has a factory decal on it, and Fenwick-flavored braided wraps on the butt section, but might be a build from a kit or blank, or maybe a Taiwan or Japanese model.

Edit: I just found an older post from 2013 that has some interesting info.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44525&p=172696&hilit=fenwick+fm5523#p172413

Post 03 Jan 2021, 20:21 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Might be daiwa?

Post 03 Jan 2021, 21:32 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
The discussion you pointed out in your edit was what I was going to point to as this looks to be from the same manufacturer. Nice rods actually.

Post 04 Jan 2021, 15:54 • #4 
Piscator
imitation is the highest form of flattery

Post 04 Jan 2021, 19:17 • #5 
Master Guide
Thanks for the replies. After reading the older thread, I'll have to give this rod a bit of fishing time.

the hersh : The mention of Daiwa is interesting. I had not thought of that possibility, but I have seen a few pics of older Daiwa brown glass rods...and they were definitely into "knocking off" other popular fishing equipment over the years.

Post 04 Jan 2021, 22:46 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
LeoCreek- i believe i owned a daiwa that had that braiding,there was a guy in my old neighborhood that made ros and had classes.A lot of local guys got into it for a while.Seems they tried to out do each other in "pimping" out their rods.Not many flyrods were built but lots of rods built on fly rod blanks and many had similar braiding .They used these rods for "perch jerking",fishing vertically for yellow perch on Lake Michigan.Considered a delicacy here.Most of the Chicago shorline is concrete faced with corrugated steel .There is a lot of rubble at the base of the walls that attract cray fish and shiners.These long limber rods were a special tool for that type of fishing and everyone wanted one.The only way to have one was a flyrod with a spinning reel or make one.

New Topic Add Reply