It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:44

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Dec 2020, 15:51 • #1 

Merry Christmas! I'm obviously new to the Board but have been enjoying surfing old posts. I actually found some relevant information for the rod I'm researching. Unfortunately, that was in a conversation had on this board in 2007. A couple of years back we had a lady bring a group of rods and reels to the shop and asked if we could help her sell them. They had belonged to her husband and he had passed away. There were several good rods and reels in the batch which we were able to sell for her. However, this one rod just sat there. As you can see in the photos, it's a Cortland Leon Chandler Custom 9' 5/6 wt. and I'm fairly certain it's never been fished. Still has shrink wrap on the grip and a tag with the serial number. It appears someone put a reel on it at some time as the reel seat is scuffed slightly. Everything else is in mint condition. The tube is scratched some. I've never even cast it but it feels pretty smooth. While I'm not a glass purist, I do have several glass rods that I fish frequently whether on small streams in north Georgia or the Madison River in Montana. If anyone has any idea of the approximate value of this rod, I would appreciate knowing. Thanks ahead of time.

Post 26 Dec 2020, 16:29 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Nice rod. Offer it here on the For Sale section and it will likely disappear quickly.

I'm not gonna venture value. Thanks for posting!

Post 27 Dec 2020, 00:38 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Jimmy Harris wrote:
[timg] However, this one rod just sat there. As you can see in the photos, it's a Cortland Leon Chandler Custom 9' 5/6 wt. and I'm fairly certain it's never been fished. Still has shrink wrap on the grip and a tag with the serial number.

It should be a nice rod, but long glass rods don't go for as much as shorter ones.
With that said, a guess as to value is $125-250, but it is really dependent on there being someone interested in it on a given day. It would probably do well on ebay if you have good pictures.

Post 27 Dec 2020, 11:49 • #4 
Thanks for the information. I had it priced at $150 in the store but it got zero interest.

Post 27 Dec 2020, 12:48 • #5 
Guide
Kind of a niche market. But the buyers are out there.

Post 27 Dec 2020, 18:42 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
A 9' 5/6wt is not a common configuration in an older rod.

Post 28 Dec 2020, 07:39 • #7 
Yes, I know. Would be interesting to know more about why it was made. I've sent a request to Cortland for more details.

Post 28 Dec 2020, 09:57 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Use the search function here and I think you'll find as much and possibly more than Cortland has handy.

These rods--the entire series--are from the apogee of the fiberglass era AND from the time when graphite rods were stretching--reaching beyond the typical lengths of bamboo and graphite rods for lighter line weights. Soon the 9' 6 weight in graphite, then 9' 5 weight and 9' 4 weight would become the common expectation.

Nine foot rods for heavier line weights--glass for steelhead, Atlantic salmon, bass--where lines 7,8, and 9 were used were fairly common, and these are more readily available used--and less sought after. That model isn't well known, but it isn't "your grandfather's fiberglass rod" like the heavyweight 9 footers people are thinking of when they write off that length.

No surprise Cortland worked with JK Fisher to see if they could produce a rod in the long light line category ("light" at the time being 5 weight). No surprise they produced one of the best long 'glass rods ever made, a benchmark even today. No surprise long light glass is of interest today, with a few makers at work to perfect the type.

Nevertheless, the market of the time went to graphite--anglers then or now might very well prefer it in a 9' 5 or 6 weight. So these, along with most fine fiberglass lines, faded, and some of the best fiberglass rods ever produced (not just this model, but similar blanks from Fisher, and, for that matter, 'glass rods from other makers) went undiscovered in their time.

For an auction sale on Ebay, I'd start it at $99.

Post 28 Dec 2020, 12:27 • #9 
Wow, thanks! This is great information. Interestingly, my first "good" graphite rod was a Double L from LL Bean that was, to my knowledge, made by Fisher.

As for auctioning it on ebay, if it's going for less than $100 I think I'll just buy it from the lady wanting to sell it and keep it for myself.

New Topic Add Reply