It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:23

New Topic Add Reply
G. Conolon 3454
Post 23 Dec 2020, 17:55 • #1 
I've tried to get some info on this old girl I picked up in an estate lot of tackle, a Garcia Conolon 3454 2 piece 8 footer made in the USA, other markings still visible are "29564" about 1/3 size of the G/C marking along with an "8", and "dry fly action". I realize that G/C made about eleventy billion rods.
I found references to the 2454 but nothing on this one. I've read that the 2 piecers were to comply with some old tourney regs now extinct. Just curious. Thank You.

Re: G. Conolon 3454
Post 24 Dec 2020, 16:28 • #2 
Master Guide
When I first saw your post I thought you were off by a number or my memory was going.. Cant offer much but if the rod is anything like the 2454 it will be a very good fishing rod.

Mine posing with a Martin 67A.

Last edited by Holdover on 25 Dec 2020, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post 25 Dec 2020, 10:05 • #3 
Master Guide
I to have a 2454 8'----nice casting 6 wt. I have been unable to find anything on this rod. Possibly a prototype model or made/sold overseas or maybe a kit??????
Gary

Last edited by midmofly on 27 Dec 2020, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Dec 2020, 15:49 • #4 

Thank You gents for the replying, I have web surfed up some details on the 2454, but nothing on this
(34 series?) one. My guess is the 8 is for the line weight here are a few shots of the rod markings and handle. Does the small 5 digit number left of the 8 have any significance? I think it is a pre "star" marked rod from what I have been reading.
Midmofly, type 2454 in the search box here for some hits on your rod

Post 26 Dec 2020, 16:39 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
The 8 just means 8 feet in length. (8'). That is a nice rod, but I'm not sure of the time period; if it has metal ferrules it may be from before the AFTMA line standards were adapted and then used regularly by most manufacturers. A guess is that the 5 digit number is a production serial code and/or identification of the mandrel used. As for the 3454. I think the first digit probably just refers to a trim level slightly higher than the 2454. This would relate to hardware, wraps, and color. If you had two side by side, you could observe if the blanks were identical but hardware and finish level slightly different.

No matter. It's not a valuable rod but it will make a darn good fly rod, just as it is if ferrules and guides are in good condition, or refinished to whatever degree you like. "Dry fly action" is kind of a marketing term, but likely indicates a "faster" action, flexing at the upper third most and gradually kicking in the middler third and down through the relatively stiff butt section. Other 8' glass of the day, including some Conolons, would have a more moderate action and would flex into the butt sooner. In the 8' Conolons, either type has plenty of guts. Just eyeballing the butt size, I'd guess that particular Conolon blank to be a 7 or 8 weight, and probably quite good with 6 through 8. Again, though, it could be identical to the various Conolon 8 footers that are about a 6 or 7 and usable with a 5.

Post 27 Dec 2020, 13:07 • #6 
Thanks for the input, here's some of he guides, but a little spar varnish I think is due soon on the thread-work that's holding up okay but showing it's age, and yep a metal ferrule, also in good shape.
I think I'll hang on to the old girl and find a better reel, but in the meantime I've cleaned up the line and am trying to rediscover my old double haul that I lost track of moving to the heavier salt water trolling and surf casting stuff years ago.

New Topic Add Reply