It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:54

New Topic Add Reply
Star fly rods?
Post 23 Dec 2020, 17:36 • #1 
Star rods in boat and spin casters are usually highly thought of, I happened to stumble upon a Star fly rod in a local pawn shop for a hundred bucks, all I remember is a black 2 piece I'd guess about 8 foot. The shop is close by so I can get more info, but jut wondered about the rod as it's the only fly rod I've ever seen from Star. Thanks

Re: Star fly rods?
Post 23 Dec 2020, 22:22 • #2 
Administrator
Welcome to the Forum!

I can't say I've heard of a Star brand fly rod before. If the rod is black, are you sure it is glass? Black was not a common fly rod color until graphite came out. Harnell was one of the few that sold black glass rods before the mid-70s.

Tell the pawn shop because it is glass the rod must be at least 60 years old and they should pay you to take it. Yeah, I'm kidding. But $100 for an unknown glass rod is too much.

If you use the forum search function, most hits for 'star' will refer to Garcia Conolon "star" rods, meaning their good, better, best grades. The rods were marked with stars on the rod label, 5-star being the highest grade.

Tom

Post 24 Dec 2020, 07:58 • #3 
I'll take another look.....Thanks

Post 24 Dec 2020, 08:11 • #4 
Piscator
before you go, search Harnell threads - if it's an 8' Harnell/Harrington blank, you may want it. John Harrington sold more blanks than finished rods.
Then barter for your best price.

New Topic Add Reply