It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:42

New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Dec 2020, 22:21 • #1 
Sport
Anybody know anything about Rain-Beau Glasline Glass Fibre fly lines? I've searched the web, but come up empty. This line belonged to my dad. It dates to 1954 when dad built up a fly rod from a blank he had purchased from Russ Peak. As I remember Peak recommended a GAF line (I still have and fish it). A friend gave him the Glasline to use for steelhead fishing. The line sank fairly well, but was stiff and cumbersome to handle. When the Scientific Anglers Hi-D tapers came on the scene the Glasline went on the shelf where it has remained.

Post 24 Dec 2020, 08:13 • #2 
Piscator
Nobody ponied up. That's coarse weave nylon, probably coated with not very stable PVC.
I definitely wouldn't fish it.
I've recovered many high grade silk braids from vintage fly reels, and trashed any with mildew or fiber damage - when I came across the type in your OP, I didn't keep (or sell) them.

Post 24 Dec 2020, 09:57 • #3 
Guide
That looks to me like a pretty interesting line. According to its advertising, there are glass fibers woven into the braid, which would account for the stiffness. It’s the first I have ever seen or heard of that.

However, I would not be as fast as my friend Bulldog to write off the value of a braided nylon line. For a few years now I’ve been using twisted or furled nylon lines with good results. Nylon has a positive specific gravity and is therefore heavier than water and naturally sinks, but it is not as heavy as silk. Some fly-fishers still swear by braided silk lines. Since nylon is denser and heavier that PVC, a nylon (or silk) line has less air resistance, which makes it a better choice for casting in the wind. It also makes for an intermediate line that will sink slowly with no dressing and float when it is dressed.

Post 24 Dec 2020, 10:45 • #4 
Piscator
Actually, a quality treated silk braid sits on the surface tension rather than floating.
I've done this before, targeting spinner fall with Tonka Prince, mastic-varnished antique silk that happened to be loaded on a DAM Effzet reel.
Also made the point before, Hemingway never fished a dry fly, but fished wets on soggy silk.

New Topic Add Reply