Fenwick FF857 Woodstream
Post 18 Dec 2020, 10:06 • #1 
Hello gentlemen,

I am quite pleased with myself today, I have just managed to acquire a
Fenwick FF857 Woodstream totally immaculate from private collection
never fished.
My questions are who fishes this model, how do you like it, any fishing stories
would be nice to hear.
And what value would you say it's worth in this condition.
I don't wish to sell it just interested to know.
Thank you

Post 18 Dec 2020, 17:06 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Hello, and welcome. Although I don't that exact model, I do have two of the older versions of I believe the same rod- the FF85 which is likely very similar. They are not my favorite rods, but, they work very well as an all around rod, it's just that personally I prefer 7.5'-8.0' over the 8.5' or longer rods.
You can read this for information of the progression of Fenwick through the years and some descriptions of various models- https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Fenwick
And a quick site search turned up several hundred pages mentioning FF857 Fenwicks, a few that might be relevant;
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57911
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59283
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60765
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8571
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10907
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45974

Value of these rods is in the fishing of them as rule, it seems they made and sold lots of them during ~20 year run and that is reflected in the resale market, not limiting just to the Woodstream years there will almost always an 8.5' Fenwick for sale on eBay. Average to excellent rods that I have watched sold from ~$50-$125 with the near mint ~$150; I don't watch them all and some may have sold higher, but... to an avid collector for the purpose of collecting there seems to be no limits.

Post 18 Dec 2020, 18:28 • #3 
Guide
Hello Yorkshire Lad. Although I do have a healthy share of Fenwick FF fly rods, which I enjoy fishing very much, I have never had the opportunity to fish the 857.
But I can share what Jim Green, Fenwick's technical director during that era thought about it:
"Green believes his FF857 model at eight and a half feet and three and seven eighths ounces is an ideal fly rod for general fishing on big trout water." ( From: Trout Tackle Two by Earnest Schwiebert).
As you may be aware, Green was also one of the world's best tournament casters of that time, so it's safe to say his words carry weight.
Sounds like you got your hands on a sweet, all-around rod, from one of America's finest.

Post 18 Dec 2020, 18:44 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Very very useful, pleasant rod, I have had a couple of em. I used one a lot on the Kootenai throwing everything from small dries and soft hackle to big weighted stuff.

Post 18 Dec 2020, 19:43 • #5 
Sport
Hi, Yorkshire lad,

I have and happily use an FF857. I'm a smallmouth fisher and use heavy to midweight streamers (wtd with 1/36 and 1/24 barbell eyes.) A 7 wt works fine, but a wf-8 is better suited to the task and the rod loves that line--nice loading/unloading feel, and good distance with no memorable wobble. I had a System 7 rod, and compared them on the stream with a 7 wt line. (GPX). The FF857 cast further than the System 7. With lighter weight flies and/or closer casts, that System 7 may be better, but in those situations I go to an FF856.

As for fishing, I don't catch a lot of big fish (13-15 inches is usually the biggest in my water), but I used to use a Diamondback 9' 6/7 graphite rod. It gave me a lot of pain in my wrist to fight those smallies. No pain with the FF857. That may be my top reason for this rod!

Oh, I had John Pretola (archfly) build me a fighting butt that I can hold onto for longer reach casts. It's a nice improvement!

Fish on!
Peter

Last edited by 1streamcaster on 20 Dec 2020, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post 20 Dec 2020, 06:42 • #6 
Thank you all for your posts, In particular.
Trev, a very informative reply.
East Branch, nice point about Jim Green I liked that.
1 Streamcaster I am not familiar with the system 7
but the interesting point about the fighting butt is a good one.
Regards to you all stay safe.

Post 21 Dec 2020, 11:59 • #7 
Sport
I have a 857 but haven't had a chance to fish with it yet.

I added a removable fighting butt. It's really easy just remove the ruber butt plug. I epoxied the threaded insert and used a 2" cork extension. I also got a threaded cap if I want to use the rod without the butt.

Post 22 Dec 2020, 20:56 • #8 
Great big water streamer rod. Not as unwieldy as one would expect for a 8’6 glass rod.

New Topic Add Reply