It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:39

New Topic Add Reply
New additions .
Post 17 Dec 2020, 16:53 • #1 
Managed a package deal from a nice seller !

First up , an 8 foot , 3 inch St Croix 7 wt. . 7 guides , and overall light wear . A Lovely feel during the wiggle test , just on the quick side of medium . Color is a bizarre shade of Pinkish-Purple-Mauve ?

Second is an 8 foot Whittemore Raven model , still has the original plastic sleeve on the handle . Seems unfished , but poorly stored , judging by a few scratches on the blank . 8 guides , stout blank - very fast action , with most of the flex being in the top half of the tip . I'll start w/ an 8 wt. on this and see what it says . From Braintree , Mass. , wondering if it is the same company that the Bamboo builder H.A. Whittemore started ?

Wanted to share a few photos , as I haven't seen either of these specific rods on here before .

D.~

Re: New additions .
Post 17 Dec 2020, 20:46 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Very cool, and nice subject for a thread. Over on the bamboo board (CFRF), there is one entiltled Got a New Rod Lately, and is many pages long, even as part 2. Here is my latest - a Barclay 7'2" 3 piece 5 weight - Chris agreed to build me this on the Lil Stiffy blank, and it turned out great aesthetically, and I can't imaging it will not become my favorite "all rounder" rod. Balances perfectly with a Hardy Golden LRH Lightweight. I've lawn cast it so far (weather permitting) with a 406 DT5, a Rio Gold WF5, 406 WF6. It handles them all great, but come Spring it needs fishing time. Rod wraps are reminiscent of the Scott G's, and reel seat wood insert is Cuban spalted mahogany.

Post 17 Dec 2020, 21:21 • #3 
I don't know if I've ever seen such a Beautiful rod before !! The grip looks oversized ? I like them on the larger side ....

Congratulations on your stunning new addition !

D.~

Post 18 Dec 2020, 07:15 • #4 
Guide
Wow, jhuskey, your new Barclay is a thing of beauty! I didn't realize riffs on the Lil Stiffy blank were an option. Enjoy that rod!

Post 18 Dec 2020, 08:20 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
The LS blank can be ordered longer than the 7ft? Nice!
I’ve cast anything from 4 weight to 8 weight lines on my LS.

Post 18 Dec 2020, 09:39 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I sure hope Chris didn't want me to keep my big mouth shut. Photos are from Chris. The grip is normal size.
Visit Chris's blog on his website for some new rod offerings - no financial interest.

Post 18 Dec 2020, 11:25 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
The OP has some interesting rods there. Let's see if we can't get back to that--any info/history. The Whittemore must be a private label trade rod, but if so, somebody can figure who made it.

Post 18 Dec 2020, 11:58 • #8 
Guide
Can’t comment on the Whittemore other than it looks like a ‘70’s rod like St Croix. St Croix produced low-mid grade rods in several candy colors in that time. I had that same 983 in blue. A solid 7wt in good length that offset some of the blank weight. It needed a few more guides but will be a great all around rod and especially good smallmouth rig. Enjoy!

Post 18 Dec 2020, 12:26 • #9 
This is all I found on the subject - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15272

Post 18 Dec 2020, 21:32 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
If you post a few more pics, someone can probably recognize the maker of that trade rod. Unless they are getting forgetful about things that far back, which I am.

Darn, I used to stop in at St. Croix in Park Falls when work took me that way about the time they were transitioning (like everybody else) into graphite. I can't get a specific memory of a model line--there was some glass still in Wisconsin general stores back then--that looked that color, but almost certainly there was.
Colors are hard to judge from digital images, not to mention with maybe 40 years weathering on them, but I think that one is somewhat faded and was more like what's shown here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65703&p=346781&hilit=Vince+Cummings+St.+Croix+River+Rat#p346781 Cummings may have had a custom color, but St. Croix probably had a product line very similar. I just can't picture it, but maybe somebody can.

In fact, if you search enough right here you may find a photo of a rod from the same Cortland series. An 8'3" 7 weight is a great 'glass configuration. I bet that one will spiff up nicely with a rubbed on, thin application of conventional spar varnish--plenty of how-to on that here as well.

Post 18 Dec 2020, 22:01 • #11 
Piscator
Whittemore was a Boston sporting goods store.
At one time they used the pound-sterling symbol for their trademark,
on the foot of this Pflueger trade reel

Post 19 Dec 2020, 16:49 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Obviously I did not get the direction the thread was meant to go, apologies for the highjacking.

Post 19 Dec 2020, 21:47 • #13 
Jhuskey -

Not a problem with me ! I'm glad you shared photos of your new addition !!

D.~

Post 19 Dec 2020, 21:55 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks sculpin65 !

Post 05 Jan 2021, 10:34 • #15 
Master Guide
I fell in love with this Kancho T&T when I first saw it. When Rodney Bo offered it I couldn’t resist the chance to acquire it. In hand it seems like a magical object from another time.

The only sub 6wt reel and line I brought with me to Mississippi for the holidays was my Ross Colorado LT lined with Monic 101 WF4. And thus underlined, it casts and fishes like a dream. Have caught bass with it and plan on targeting trout in Oklahoma, Arkansas and CO this year.

New Topic Add Reply