It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:17

New Topic Add Reply
8'6" Total H43
Post 14 Dec 2020, 00:35 • #1 
Guide
I am hoping that this rings a bell with someone. Last month, my mate Kiwiscanfly passed on to me a very good deal, a Kilwell Spiraflex Customline two piece 9 foot #8 (52-108) and a rod I have never heard of before, a yellow glass two piece 8'6" labelled Total H43. There was no AFTMA rating on the rod. I have never heard of Total fly rods and I doubt that it was made in New Zealand. A brief description, black anodised down locking reel seat with chromed reel foot bands and a single knurled screw. The grip looks similar to a Fenwick style. The yellow shaft is unground and there was no stripping guide, just one big snake guide on the butt section and four snakes on the tip section, the tip-top was a wire loop. The bindings were a pinkish orange. I didn't bother casting it, but stripped the shaft completely and rebound with a stripping guide and nine snakes and a new tip-top. I bound with Gudebrod, candy apple pink with medium brown trim. The rod is really nice to cast with a Scientific Anglers Frequency Boost WF6F, but I reckon it's a #7. I didn't take any photos before I ripped into it. I would appreciate hearing back from anyone who has heard of Total brand rods. Cheers

Re: 8'6" Total H43
Post 14 Dec 2020, 23:33 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I had never heard of Total, but a Google search brought up the Total Fishing Tackle in England. They apparently sell a wide range of fishing gear.

Larry

Re: 8'6" Total H43
Post 15 Dec 2020, 00:18 • #3 
Guide
Thanks Larry, I appreciate the information and will follow that up. The snake guides are clockwise, meaning that they are American style snakes. Certainly a budget model with only five snakes and a tip-top. It's a different rod now. I'm looking forward to using it while wading the edge of Lake Rotorua sight fishing for big browns. Cheers

New Topic Add Reply