It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:57

New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Nov 2020, 19:32 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I've been pulling rods out of storage to sort them out and I've been coming across a lot of really nice rods that we don't hear about as much anymore. I don't want to "hotspot" them, but they aren't really secrets.

I'm thinking of things that aren't Fenwick, Fisher or Phillipson. And I'm thinking about Pre-1982.

So do people have some favorites?

Here are a few that I really like. (I have multiples of these)

Silaflex 222975 and 322975. These are some of the nices 7'6" rods out there. And the 222975 is such a beautiful rod. I haven't tried the other sizes in this series. I wonder if they are just as good.

Cortland FR-2000 This is one of the nicest families of rods if you like a bit slower but still progressive action. From 7' to 8'6" all are light and pliable. There are some wonderful staggered ferrule models in there.

Narmco Conolon Fanwing. This is a 1950s rod and the only way I can describe it is fun.

Post 28 Nov 2020, 21:11 • #2 
Guide
I still fish my Browning Silaflex II 822975 that I've had since the 70's. It may be ugly with the foam rubber grip, but it casts a lot of line very smoothly.

Post 28 Nov 2020, 21:47 • #3 
Master Guide
I think mylar wraps might be needed to qualify for blue collar rod.

Post 28 Nov 2020, 21:48 • #4 
Master Guide
For sure: I’m with you on my Silaflex 322970 and a Conolon F78; “fun” is right!

Post 28 Nov 2020, 23:29 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
A yeller St Croix and a brown Denco are at the top of my list, preferred over three out of four Fenwicks and I just picked up a Herter's that I think I'm going to like. None of them have that chintzy looking mylar though, so they may not be "blue collar".

Post 29 Nov 2020, 08:35 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Actually, I misspoke. I said "Blue Collar" when I was really just thinking Vintage, mass-produced rods. The early Silaflex rods were not inexpensive rods.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 08:50 • #7 
Master Guide
I’d mention the Garcia Conolon Blue series. I really like my 2636-A 7’3” and wonder why they didn’t build that blank on other series as well. Mine is best with a 5wt. Be careful though as other 2636 alpha versions had a different heavier taper.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 09:48 • #8 
Master Guide
I have quite a few : Browning Silaflex # 22974 7'6" 4pcs. 6 wt. a beautiful rod
Browning Sikaflex 022975 7'6" 5-6 wt. smooth casting
Heddon 8453 7'6" 6 wt.
Heddon 8381 7' 5 wt. great small water rod
Garcia/Conolon 2454 8' 6 wt.
Garcia/Conolon 2025 B 8' 6 wt. a beautiful rod---great casting
There are a bunch of Wonderods----the 910 UL 7' 5 wt needs a mentioned
H & I rods are on the lower end but in the 7'6" range not bad either.

Last edited by midmofly on 30 Nov 2020, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 11:14 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Yes indeed, Silaflex 222-322970, 75, and 80 are terrific vintage rods. So are the Cortland ProCrest and FR2000 7 1/2’ and 8’ rods. The Berkley Parametric’s and any Phillipson’s in the same sizes are right in there with them. Fenwicks are talked about much more but really don’t have much over these rods except more multipiece versions. If you have one , you have a superb fishing rod that isn’t lacking in any way. If I can find any of these on the cheap, I buy them and give them to kids because I know they can enjoy them for a lifetime without needing anything more. I can’t say that about many brand new cheap rods. I’d MUCH rather buy one of these than any CGR or some of the other cheap Chinese stuff.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 12:31 • #10 
Master Guide
carlz wrote:
Actually, I misspoke. I said "Blue Collar" when I was really just thinking Vintage, mass-produced rods. The early Silaflex rods were not inexpensive rods.

Yes, agreed ... back in 1968 when I was looking for a new rod, the Fenwick and Browning Silaflex models were out of my price range, as well the premium top-of-the-line models of some other brands.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 14:11 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I'll try this a different way. If you stick to 8' or 7 1/2' fiberglass rods from the early 1960s into the mid-1970s, it is hard to find a bad one, hard to find a great one, but most will be very capable and versatile with a 6, 7, or 8-weight line. Conolon, Cortland, St. Croix, trade rods from these and other makers, and the list would go on. It would be easier, for me anyway, to name a few stinkers, and even those would have their fans.

Usually these rods of have middle of the road moderate actions. Fittings and guide spacing, might distinguish one from another within brands, but the blank is the rod, and it can always be refinished. Several of the rods already mentioned epitomize the type.

If I were to forget my rods (becoming more likely these days) and realize that an hour from home, assuming I hadn't forgotten a couple reels loaded with 6 and 7 lines, I'm confident that rather than drive back home, it would take me no more than four stops at whatever yard sale, junk/antique shop, flea market I passed to buy a '60s or '70s rod that would fish just fine for the day. For $10 or less, or maybe a 7 1/2' and and 8', two for $15. A new old stock True Temper or Eagle Claw wouldn't be out of the question, so if I needed a coffee, I'd check the first general store also. But I might have to give $19.99 for it.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 14:25 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I rather imagine that all 'glass rods of the '50s and '60s were meant as 'blue collar'; they were plastic post war merchandise produced in great numbers for the emerging 'blue collar' masses, a "middle class" that never had really existed before and that was only possible as electrification provided both well paid industrial employment and leisure time. The old school anglers, consisting of the rich, the professionals and the poachers would still be using cane and silk for years after the war. Plastic rods and plastic lines massed produced would have been meant for the masses.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 18:04 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
For sure. The postwar economic boom enabled an outdoor recreation boom. And emerging plastics technology made it more affordable. Gradually, fly fishing became more an everyman's sport, and then the Clean Water Act resulted in more and more fishable waters close to home rather than exotic/exclusive/expensive venues. And the rods suited these new anglers and new fisheries.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 18:58 • #14 
Administrator
Trev, I disagree that 50s & 60s glass was only blue collar. The original marketing pitch was about light weight and the indestructible nature of glass. The earliest Wonderods sold for $60 - in 1947! As mentioned above, Silaflex rods commanded premium prices well into the 70s. Many companies took the Sears Catalog tiered approach of Good, Better, Best. While our blue collar ancestors bought the Good rods, the Best rods were marked with gaudy prices. In the late 50s/60s glass prices came down sharply as competition increased. Soon there were so many companies that fly rods below $10 were common.

I'm seeing many of my secret favorites outed in this thread. :o

The all purpose glass rod is 8 to 9' for a 6/7 weight line (or old school HDH/HCH if marked at all). These rods can do it all - present a dry fly, swing a cast of wets, throw a small lure, drift a worm through a run, and toss bass bugs/streamers. The best of these are referenced all the time, such as the big Fenwicks, Phillipsons, and Garcia Conolons. Every glass fanatic should own a couple or a few.

To me those fun other rods were marketed in the 50s/60s despite not being all purpose. Typically these were 6' to 7'6" for an HEH/HDH line (or later inevitably marked as 6 weights). For instance, while not exactly blue collar, the Garcia Wulff 6', 7', and 7'6" models may have been the best rods ever from the very prolific Conolon operation. I think the shorter rods were designed for light fly fishing rather than all purpose angling (and maybe some company pride too). Rods like the 7' Heddons, 7'3" Garcia 2636, or 7'6" Browning 022975 were originally bargain priced, but are still fun to cast and fish. The big operations like Garcia Conolon, US Fiberglass (South Bend, Gladding, HI, Actionrod), Montague/True Temper (many, many private label rods), and Shakespeare all made nice, short, other rods worth trying if the price is right. This was particularly true after the Fenwick patent expired and they all went to tip-over-butt ferrules seemingly overnight.

Tom

Post 29 Nov 2020, 20:50 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
carlz wrote:

Narmco Conolon Fanwing. This is a 1950s rod and the only way I can describe it is fun.

I absolutely *drooled* over the one Fred re-made and sold in the forum recently. Someone got a neat rod.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 21:11 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Tom is right on. Some of those rods weren’t blue collar when they were new but are extremely good values today while rods like Garcia Wullff and Ritz rods are terrific rods but they weren’t so cheap then and aren’t so cheap even today. And not all rods were ok then. There were just as many or more stinkers then as there are today.

Post 29 Nov 2020, 23:46 • #17 
Master Guide
One 1950s-early 60s aspect that was absolutely real in the area of Penna that I was raised in - was that most "fly rods" weren't used for fly fishing. They were used for swinging bait. When I was a kid and we went trout fishing on opening day and thereafter, most guys didn't have spinning rods rather most just used fly rods. That's what we were taught.

Many old timers like my dad scoffed at the "new" reels and taught us kids to bait fish by swinging a length of line/bait/split shot from a 9' rod, augmented with another 3-4 ft of line held with your loose hand). So a 9' rod could swing out (9' of rod) + (about 6' of line from the tip) + (3' of line from your loose hand) ..... or 18' total. So, to evaluate THAT era of fly rods from THAT era's blue collar perspective requires a set of criteria from back then.

All that's fact. But now for the part some may disagree with ....... I've always felt that most guys in my area of Penna back then assumed that "real" fly rods had to be long (8.5' - 9') because they provided more reach. And therefore that vision was cemented moving forward, and still holds sway with many new anglers today regardless of the type of stream they fish in.

Post 20 Feb 2021, 23:58 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
What's more blue collar than a solid glass rod?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40390&hilit=Horrocks+Ibbotson+Buddy

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39266&hilit=SEA+MAR+Issaquah+Creek

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13968&p=135341&hilit=Ike+Walton+No.+1700#p135341

An square blanked rod too:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53209&p=239509&hilit=Panfish+Wright+McGill#p239509

Post 21 Feb 2021, 12:17 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Featherlight, I love the harlequin wraps on that square rod. That just looks like such a fun rod.

Post 21 Feb 2021, 16:20 • #20 
Guide
Herter’s, Sears (JC Higgins), Wards. Certainly supplied by already mentioned True Temper, Montague, HI, St Croix but had the reach to the Blue Collar in every corner of the country. Some hidden gems under those labels.

New Topic Add Reply