It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:18

New Topic Add Reply
Great Lakes Fly Rod
Post 23 Nov 2020, 00:04 • #1 
Sport
I bought a group of fiberglass/cane rods a few months ago. Plan to rebuild this rod for fishing for bass and add it to a South Bend I already rebuilt from the group. It is 8 1/2' long with a model number of TA 55385. I cannot find any info on it after search online. I am hoping the members here can give me some info. Here are a few pictures. Thanks for checking it out. Bill

Re: Great Lakes Fly Rod
Post 23 Nov 2020, 10:11 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Is that tip into butt ferrule, with a spigot?? Kinda different.

I have seen GL fly rods before, but can offer you nothing on them. Good luck.

Post 23 Nov 2020, 10:26 • #3 
Sport
I cannot figure out the ferrule? It is some type of spigot??? I can take some more pictures if anyone needs more. Thanks for the comment Majicwrench.

Post 23 Nov 2020, 12:55 • #4 
Administrator
I don't know anything about Great Lakes rods. Sorry.

The rod styling suggests 60s/70s, but I expect a metal ferrule on such a rod. I can't quite tell from the photos, but does the thread on the female ferrule match the rest of the rod wraps? There's no mylar under wrap there. Maybe we are looking at a metal ferrule replaced by a glass spigot? Does the spigot fit the female ferrule well?

Tom

Post 23 Nov 2020, 16:17 • #5 
Master Guide
Don't know why but that just screams "Herters" to me.

Post 23 Nov 2020, 16:24 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I had one with metal ferrules but same colors.I gave it to someone.Had 0 luck finding info on it when i had it.It had a reel and line when i bought it for a few bucks.It cast OK very soft action.My buddy wanted for a crappie rod.

Post 23 Nov 2020, 19:56 • #7 
Sport
Here are a few more pictures of the spigot ferrule. A hollow spigot in the top half of the rod. It fits tight into the butt section. The thread wraps appear to be the same but no gold mylar on the top section. I am going to strip it, paint it and have some fun with it!

Post 23 Nov 2020, 21:03 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
As a kid, I had a Great Lakes baitcasting rod & reel that I got with Plaid Stamps, probably around 1966-1967. If I remember correctly, they were a Michigan company.

Post 24 Nov 2020, 09:12 • #9 
Guide
Had to chuckle when I saw Plaid Stamps. I got to paste ours in the booklet, but we all shared the prizes. Been a while.

Post 25 Nov 2020, 22:39 • #10 
Sport
Thanks for all the comments. I will collect some "stamps" and turn it into a better fishing rod..... I remember as a small child my grandma having a book of stamps from a (store/gas station?) and putting them into a small book. Time frame would be the late 60's and I was in second grade living in Medfield, Mass near my grandparents while my dad was in Vietnam. We continued the Air Force journey to Iran next and several moves later ending up in Ohio for college. Met a girl(wife) and have been in CA for 30 years. I did some lawn casting the other day with a 6wt line and it seemed to like it. Everyone have a wonderful Thanksgiving and be safe, Bill

New Topic Add Reply