It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:01

New Topic Add Reply
Ultralight Fisher?
Post 15 Nov 2020, 20:21 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
While helping my friend Charlie go through his vast collection of rods, I kept coming back to this one. It is a 7' 2 piece rod with the name Robert Shimane on the butt shaft. Dated April, 1980, and marked as a 3 weight. Most, if not all, of my 3 weight lines are actually about 3.5 weight. With one of those lines, the rod actually felt slightly overloaded and I tended to cast wide loops. With a Barrio Small Stream WF2 which is about a 2.5 weight line the casting was much smoother. With only 8-10 feet of line out the tip I could feel the rod load, and it was casting a fairly tight loop out to about 45-50 feet. From appearance I think it is probably a Fisher blank from their ultralight series of the late 70's.

Charlie let me cast a 7' 3 weight Fisher several years ago and later said I could have it. Unfortunately he couldn't find it again. I don't remember the rod having this type of reel seat, but then again I'm getting old and have lost two sets of car keys lately, so who knows. Anyway the rod is now mine.

Larry

Re: Ultralight Fisher?
Post 15 Nov 2020, 20:59 • #2 
Sport
Nice rod and great story

Post 15 Nov 2020, 21:28 • #3 
Master Guide
I have a factory 7' 6" fisher 3wt glass. It also is slow and can throw just a leader out of the tip very nicely. I think these blanks go back to the tom morgan story of fisher stealing the stalker design. A great rod for short casts and smallish flies.
Frustrates the hell out of me lots of times missing trout on the dry fly.

Post 15 Nov 2020, 23:35 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I have a 7’6” rod built on one of those Fisher Stalker-reminiscent blanks. I think the seller described it as a 3/4 wt. but I’ve mostly used it as a 2 (it has a minimalist cork and ring seat). My experience is a lot like yours and Riffling Hitch’s; slow, focus on the stroke, small flies, and it can present gently near and out to a decent distance.

New Topic Add Reply