It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:32

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Any regrets?
Post 11 Nov 2020, 11:53 • #1 
Guide
First off and non-related......thank you to all that have served in the armed forces and currently serve.

I'm thinking of thinning down the number of rods I have; not that I have 50 rods in a corner; but definitely some I don't use hardly at all.

I've come to really enjoy the slower action of Fiberglass rods and don't really care if I can't cast 80ft. Therefore I have a couple glass 6wts I use for bass and couple lighter weights for trout and smaller warm water species. Not saying I won't buy another rod at some point; just a generalization.

But practically speaking, for those of you that have thinned your arsenal down to a few rods, have you regretted it? Does it feel better to just grab your 6wt and head to the river? Without thinking about it too much.......

Re: Any regrets?
Post 11 Nov 2020, 12:26 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I’ve thinned down to a 4,5&6... based on where I fish for two reasons... one I never think about which rod to take and two I use them so much I don’t have to make any casting adjustments as I know them so well.... with the durability of glass I’m not really worried about breaking one but if that ever happened and I couldn’t afford to replace it one of the others is close enough in line weight and length that it will be sufficient to cover the loss. Hope that helps.
Chris

Post 11 Nov 2020, 12:29 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
A recent related discussion worth reviewing: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69237&hilit=one+rod+you+regret+selling

Doing that might eliminate some repetition and sharpen the focus here to "regret" over thinning down to a few grab-n-go rods. Personally, I'm getting to where I can't just grab-and-go as often as I'd like, but no regrets that I'd still go with one of my favored 5 or 6 weights.

Post 11 Nov 2020, 13:18 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I am thinning down because it's hard to "grab and go". The rod I want is usually in some other pile.

However having rods of every type, I've realized there are just a handful of rods I need.
  • a short (7ft) glass 3 or 4wt
  • a slow action 8' 4/5wt
  • a moderate 8'6" 4/5wt
  • a fast action 9' 5wt (maybe a 4)
  • an 8' 6wt fenwick
  • a 9' 6wt (med-fast)
  • an 7/8wt glass rod for great lakes steelhead (I really like the glass action for fighting fish)
  • a 9' 8wt graphite for bombing big flies longer distances in wind.

If I want to do fishing for something that falls outside my normal category, I would be willing to buy a rod for that purpose.

However, I like collecting and casting the different types and have a vast collection of different rods. So I can't imagine getting down to this minimal set, but having 20 would be more than enough to have some choice and yet still be able to grab and go.

I think it's time to Marie Condo my rods. "Does it spark joy?"

Post 11 Nov 2020, 13:42 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Carlz pretty much nails it for me. Only differences are:

- Swap the 9x8 graphite for a 6'6" 3wt for small creeks. I don't do much big-water, big-fish hunting.
- I'm not quite ready to cull the collection just yet. :-)

Post 11 Nov 2020, 14:51 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I find myself giving rods that aren't my favorites to new fishermen, family, or friends. It is easy to do and for the rods I buy, it is not that expensive. My favorites will stay.

Post 11 Nov 2020, 15:05 • #7 
Master Guide
I just gave away 2 rods and a reel to a friend, one for him and one for his grandson. I have another one to give away when I find the right person to give it to. I do have someone in mind. Many decades ago I sold 3 rods I really regret selling.

Post 11 Nov 2020, 15:12 • #8 
Master Guide
I have some rods That I could dump but I've learned over the years that I've regretted letting go of every rod, reel or firearm I' released...even the dogs.

Post 11 Nov 2020, 22:10 • #9 
Guide
As I get older I realize I don't need all the things accumulated over the years. In the last year I took a good look at what I had and what could go. I sold my Ari Hart collection, some Saraciones, a Charlton, and a Kineya plus lots of things I don't even remember. Great for a collection but I had never used most of them. Also dumped most of my graphite rods and am slowly working my way through the glass rods. And to my surprise I don't miss any of them. Even sold a Studio Thin Line rod because again I never used it.

So the answer is no I don't regret letting any of my stuff go. They are after all just things and life is too short to live in the past, right?

Tom

Post 12 Nov 2020, 01:02 • #10 
Master Guide
Regrets... sort of? I have a tension between minimalism (cut down to just a few rods) and collector impulse (“Ooh that’s cool - I want it...”). Funny thing — in a way, I kind of regret having rods I don’t use. So I am paring them down. I am also finding that I really don’t need a rod in each and every line weight.

So I would guess that, unless you have that collector impulse, you’ll probably be fine....

Post 12 Nov 2020, 10:00 • #11 
Guide
Thanks for the insight guys. I suppose just recognizing this, is growth in a way, no matter what I sell or not.
Appreciate the philosophical discussion.

Post 12 Nov 2020, 12:20 • #12 
Master Guide
Some of you folks are an inspiration to me. I sincerely plan to reduce my number of fly rods from ~ 40 to maybe 8 to 10 at the most before too long.

Not sure if I want to take the number down any further than that...but maybe.

It's kind of like the old joke...How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb? Only 1, but the light bulb has to want to change.

Post 12 Nov 2020, 16:47 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I find that once I let something go....I don't miss it at all.

And then I can justify buying some new toy, which is always a high.

I have waaaaay too many, but with selling a few and buying a few, the gross is actually going down. I would like to think so anyway.

Post 12 Nov 2020, 19:17 • #14 
Master Guide
I was talking to my 74 year old neighbor in his garage last week, where he keeps eight of his classic, rare and completely restored muscle cars...as we walked through his house he showed me, arguably, the most comprehensive collection of rare pedal cars and toy trucks in existence...while telling me about his warehouse of 30 other classic cars and vintage auto collectibles (glass globe gas pumps, signs, etc)...humbly, I spoke of my meager collection of rods and reels...finally, I asked him if he has plans to reduce his collection before his kids have to deal with it someday....he said, "I like having this stuff, those poor kids (sarcastically)"...on a bit smaller scale, I think I'm in his camp, I like having it and looking at it...

Sandman

Post 12 Nov 2020, 23:32 • #15 
Guide
paveglass wrote:
I find myself giving rods that aren't my favorites to new fishermen, family, or friends. It is easy to do and for the rods I buy, it is not that expensive. My favorites will stay.

This.

Post 13 Nov 2020, 12:09 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
In January of 2007 I had only about 5 or 6 fly rods, all graphite. By February 1, 2007 I was the proud owner of 2 glass rods. Today I have about 30 glass rods. At this time we can actually find some glass rods in fly shops, but in 2007 if you wanted to try out a glass rod you had to attend one of the rare conclaves or just take a chance and buy one sight unseen. This is how I came to own most of my glass rods. Many of the rods I currently own were purchased in this spirit of sampling. Some of these rods have been used a lot over the years and some are rarely used. I actually have a few that have never been fished. I have been gradually trying to thin the herd of those rods going unused or rarely used. I have no regrets in getting rid of these rods as the only investment I have in them is money.

Larry

Post 13 Nov 2020, 12:48 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah, the ‘sampling’ thing Larry says above is true of me too. I have more rods now that I can realistically fish, but I’m finding its actually getting harder to let them go.

Post 14 Nov 2020, 14:23 • #18 
Guide
I too am considering of "downsizing". while enjoying (or not) my Golden Years. I'm thinking of the five premium graphites that I've not taken out of their tubes in a long while.
For the last six years I've only fished glass in 4, 5 & 6wt lines. As I age, this trend is probably going to continue.
My stable of reels are down to eight (Hardy,Hardy-made & Tibor). These I must hang onto for now, but what to do with the graphites I no longer use?

Specially now, that COVID restrictions have closed my (fly fishing/tying) teaching club for the foreseeable future. I used to sell some tackle here. There are no shows, no symposiums, no conclaves or other group gatherings. If one does not use Ebay, what other avenues are there to unload good stuff? Not to make money, just to redirect stuff.
I realize that FFR & CFRF forums do have sales & wanted sections. I've sold some tackle this way in the past. What other avenues are possible?

How about books? When I started in this game the market seemed to awash with books. There were the hard-to-get books like Bergman's Trout, Schweibert's Nymphs, or Darrel Martin's Fly Tying Methods, to name a few. I have a bookshelf full of popular instructional books that would pop up each year. What to do with them?
At a recent club sale I could not give most books away, never mind sell them.

Post 14 Nov 2020, 17:58 • #19 
Sport
A slightly different perspective maybe...instead of questioning the wisdom of your current collection and rarely or never using certain pieces, why not figure out simple and fun ways TO use them? Variety, spice, life and all that.

--Museums rotate collections and pieces, parents rotate their kids' toys--why not rotate your rods and reels? Take some time this winter to clean and inspect this year's most used rods, address any issues, and then put them away in storage. Put the seldom used rods out on your rack and commit to using them alone next season.

--Assign your rods to particular rivers and be sure to spread them out. Assign your reels to specific rods. If you are really insistent on certain go-to rods, assign them to the places you fish most often. But when you head to that river you only fish once or twice a year, don't bring the go-to rod, bring the assigned rod.

--With a few exceptions, most of my rods were made by or acquired from good friends or family, some no longer with us. Using these rods on stream brings something special to the experience. This concept makes it much easier for me to avoid spending all my time with one friend, so to speak, and spreading out the love as it were. WARNING: if you go down this path, you may end up with even more rods and likely never sell another one unless you have multiples from the same source!

--You could grab your go-to rod(s) every time just like you could eat at the same restaurant every night. But no matter how good that restaurant is, doesn't that get a little boring? Green eggs and ham, my friends. Try them, you make like them, Sam.

--My current stable of rods and reels is different from years ago. Locations, tastes, shoulders, dollars, interests--they change over time. And, like many old trends and fads, they come back again, slightly different. Maybe that is all that's going on. Maybe in a couple of years you will rekindle your interests in your neglected early Scotts and park your Ijuins for awhile.

--If you don't or can't afford to give away rods...LOAN them (knowing they may not come back in one piece or at all) or SWAP them with a friend for a season. Pay it forward.

--Does your collection tell a story? What is it and have you shared that story with anyone? Could it? Have you attempted to make a connection with or studied the history of the maker? How did s/he get into rod making? How did the design come to be? What were the goals and technology employed? What influences? Is there even more story there? In other words, is there additional value to find in your collection so that, even if neglected, you don't perceive a loss in value or opportunity.

Good luck!

Post 15 Nov 2020, 05:31 • #20 
Guide
I am a lightweight when it comes to rod collections however, I came upon 2 Fenwicks a couple of years ago(along with this website :) ) that spurred adding to the collection again. I could not afford the Fens when young but now the finances and fishing enjoyment has led to acquisition of classic Fens. I have and use many graphites but there is something about the old Fens that just make me smile. Maybe at the ripe old age of 65, I get it. I do not know.
My fly rods, a mix of glass and graphite are rotated (to justify ownership) and used as needed.
My spin rods, mostly made of glass (for fresh and the salt) total many and have been used a lot.
Each of my rods have memories attached to them. One was given to me by my mother that she acquired with S&H green stamps(you have to be of a certain age to know what the stamps are).That rod will never be sold or given away. I still fish it. I have a friend who has over 50 fly rods and uses them all. His annual goal is to fish each at least once. I know he succeeds.
His father left him a selection of the finest Cane rods from the golden era of Cane and he fishes them too. A tribute to his Dad. That my angling friends is pretty cool. That is what fly and spin rod collection is all about.

Post 15 Nov 2020, 10:57 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
motosacto wrote:
Funny thing — in a way, I kind of regret having rods I don’t use.

I missed this on the first pass. This is a great thought.

After reflecting, I categorize my rods into 4 categories. Rods for use, rods that spark a memory, my collection, rods to get rid of.

I don't have any regrets about selling the rods I have. I sold an FF755, missed it and after some searching, bought another. I am not going to sell my FF83, since rebuying it isn't an option.

If the rod's are replaceable, thinning down to 10 rods seems perfectly reasonable.

Post 16 Nov 2020, 10:17 • #22 
Guide
To me everything is replaceable, for the most part; they're just rods. I do however have favorites that I use all the time; the custom ones I had made recently.
I think I'll just hold onto the production rods I'm not using and loan them out if required. If they sit for a couple years or more I'll sell. Next time I get that urge for a production rod, I'll hesitate and maybe give that money to a local mission or etc.

Post 16 Nov 2020, 13:45 • #23 
Master Guide
No regrets yet, but I’m trying.

Post 17 Nov 2020, 17:24 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
backing1 wrote:
one I never think about which rod to take and two I use them so much I don’t have to make any casting adjustments as I know them so well....

that's my only regret about having so many rods now - believe I was a better caster, when I just grabbed the Sage LL 9' 5wt, for all trout fishing..

whenever I get a new rod, will fish it until I've caught a few fish on it at least. None of them so far have gone on the wall, just try to rotate through so no-one feels left out.. which is getting tough to do as I don't fish enough, so may be done with buying rods now.

Post 13 Dec 2020, 11:05 • #25 
Master Guide
Great topic. I’m having fun fishing new rods and I try to fish everything in my (growing) collection. Glass is definitely the preference and always seems more fun. I have a few that I haven’t caught a fish on yet, and that feels like an itch that needs to be scratched.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply