It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:40

New Topic Add Reply
Metal Ferrules w/ O-ring
Post 06 Nov 2020, 10:59 • #1 
Guide
I recently picked up a metal ferruled rod that had an O-ring on the male ferrule. It was difficult to get it seated in the female ferrule. Cleaned them, which turned out to be unnecessary as they were spotless. Still difficult to seat

It the typical for this type of ferrule?

Any tricks to theses?

Post 06 Nov 2020, 11:12 • #2 
Sport
possibly the O-ring has dried out if it is an older, vintage ferrule. perhaps replace with a newer O-ring. absolute,very last resort would be fooling with male/female id/od. how old is ferruled rod?

Post 06 Nov 2020, 11:17 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Common nuisance with this type. A new, more resilient O-ring might help. Or try it with the O-ring removed. It may fit and hold just fine that way. Clean the ferrule first as with any ill-fitting ferrule.

Post 06 Nov 2020, 11:46 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
If you install a new Oring, get a couple sizes, and get em smaller than you think you need.

Let us know what works

Post 06 Nov 2020, 11:58 • #5 
Guide
Its an A-848. Ferrule is is in near new condition and O-ring seems fine. Haven't popped it off there yet, but I'll give that a try and inspect it further.

Post 06 Nov 2020, 12:53 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Not all O-rings are alike. There are three measurements to consider: OD (outside diameter) ID (inside diameter) and radial CS (cross section) which can be effected by stretching.

I have feeling the CS on your O-ring is too fat and most likely not original. A little searching online for another size should resolve your issue. You might want to try and measure the existing O-ring to at least have a starting point or just jump in a buy a bunch of sizes and try your luck.

There are lots of O-ring size charts on the Internet which may help.

Post 06 Nov 2020, 21:40 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I have had more luck just not using the O-ring. I agree that not all o-rings are alike, and I'm sure if I had the patience I could find the right one, but in my experience, most of the metal ferrules that could use o-rings don't really need them.

Post 07 Nov 2020, 22:46 • #8 
Guide
I have an old Herter's rod with the o-ring'd ferrules. Mine is OK but I suspect that considering the concept, a 50 year old O-ring might not be within spec for "tolerance". If you have an accurate enough set of calipers you can grab expected ID and OD of the intended O-ring to replace it.

Post 08 Nov 2020, 06:16 • #9 
Guide
The O-ring type ferrule is the only ferrule I would recommend using "nose grease" on . Lubricate the O-ring and it should slide together just fine.

Post 08 Nov 2020, 10:47 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Nose grease works fine on those ferrules. It would not be a bad idea to replace the o-ring. Just take it off and bring it to the hardware store, then have the plumbing guy find you the ring that fits. Before you do that though, rub plenty of candle wax on the male ferrule and the o-ring and try to seat it. I have had those ferrules seat after waxing, when they would not fit without.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - don't give up on them.

Post 11 Nov 2020, 15:57 • #11 
Guide
Oddly enough, when I tried it the other day, the ferrules sat much more easily. Difficult the first time I tired to seat them but much easier the next. What would cause that to happen? Temperature? Humidity?

I can tell that I am missing the pop that straight metal ferrules make.

Post 11 Nov 2020, 17:18 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
The ones I am familiar with were anodized aluminum, so probably expansion and contraction affected fit regardless of manufacturing tolerance, which is probably more difficult to maintain anyhow with the surface anodize. The O-ring ("size-matic") compensated. Try a little experiment. Ice the ferrules for a few minutes, wipe them dry quickly, and try it. Let them return to the ambient temperature they were at when you had the easy fit. Try the fit at intervals as the ferrules return to that temperature.

New Topic Add Reply