It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 30 Sep 2020, 13:32 • #1 
Sport
Here's another one from the pile from the yard sale. Called ovris guy just asked me what do you want to know. We do keep archives on old products. Google didn't have much except for guys talking about them using them and a few web sites with "sold for" prices on eBay and a few others. If any of those prices are true and I get offered that I'll buy anyone dinner for a week.

Post 30 Sep 2020, 16:06 • #2 
Administrator
The Orvis boron-graphite rods were from around 1980. In general boron and boron/graphite mixtures did not catch on with the market. I have a Fenwick Boron-X and a couple of Browning boron rods. They are powerful casting machines (the line whistles as it goes by).

There are many eBay sellers asking exorbitant prices. That doesn't mean they sell at those prices. More often a buyer makes an offer and the final price is not publicized. If a rod is put up for auction and sells after several bids, that is a much sounder estimate of the market value.

As always, condition makes a difference when offering an item for sale. Factory built rods always sell for a higher price than kit built rods. Rods in tubes with the original rod bag will sell for more than an unprotected rod. Rods showing extensive signs of use sell for less than very clean rods.

Tom

Post 30 Sep 2020, 16:28 • #3 
Sport
Thank you Tom.
It has the tube and sock from orvis. And a warrentty card I found pushed down in the tube. I was just amazed at the selling history of these models selling history on eBay.

Post 30 Sep 2020, 20:09 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
So how do you like it? And what weight line is it for? The Boron rods have a following, but it seems to be a love hate relationship. The haters seem to think it was a bunch of marketing fluff.

Post 01 Oct 2020, 16:05 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
A customer of mine has a Fenwick Boron rod. Been a long time since I have seen him, might have to call him.

Pictures of Orvis rod?

Post 01 Oct 2020, 16:23 • #6 
Piscator
At a salt fly fishing expo around 2000, Steve won the door prixe, a Winston boron iix 8-wt. Except for the power, the dimensions and weight of the rod feel like a 4-wt, making it next to impossible to match with a salt reel. Very different rod from his gang of Winston IM6 salt rods.

Post 03 Oct 2020, 10:08 • #7 
Sport
It is a 3/4 WT. Very slow full flex action. Small full wells grip and cork reel seat.

New Topic Add Reply