It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:06

New Topic Add Reply
Phillipson fly rod ?
Post 20 Sep 2020, 20:59 • #1 
Sport
Hello new to the forum guys.
I have used and collected glass rods for years
I came across one this past weekend I'm lost on.
Went to a yard sale ended up spending 12 bucks on a box full of fly rods 20 in total. What I thought would be parts rods. Didn't even look thru them for the proce marked on them. Much to my surprise when I got home ended up having 6 fenglass's in mint condition and 7 phillipsons.
All mint aswell all marked except two. They are marked phillipson but don't have specs.
1) 9'1" blank with phillipson badge light brown 2 pc spignot ferrulle
2) 6'7" light brown 2pc. Short cork handle brown metal downlocking ring and cork spacer. Tip over butt ferrule tip has a small stainless steel ring at the end of the ferrell's.
Any info would be appreciated

Re: Phillipson fly rod ?
Post 20 Sep 2020, 21:29 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Pictures would help with identification. Directions for posting photos on this forum are at the top of the page on the left on the Index page. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Larry

Post 20 Sep 2020, 23:17 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
and please post some pfishing photos

Post 21 Sep 2020, 00:42 • #4 
Administrator
Welcome to the Forum!

Please post photos of the rods in question. See this thread for instructions. Photos of any markings on the rods, grips/reelseats, and the ferrules will help greatly.

Phillipson sold factory rods and blanks for 30 years. There have not been any new Phillipsons for 45 years. It is possible your two mystery rods were rebuilds or custom builds on Phillipson rod blanks.

Tom

Post 21 Sep 2020, 10:00 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
So that is 13 mint condition rods at one garage sale, all in a box, plus a few more.

I see.

Seeing just two in a box and a picture would be very good. Was that with the tubes and rod bags?

All for less than a dollar apiece.

What did the seller tell you about their history, and why do you figure the seller about gave them away?

Post 21 Sep 2020, 11:57 • #6 
Guide
One Fenglass rod in mint condition AWESOME.

One Fenglass and one Phillipson glass in mint condition Freakin' AWESOME.

13 said rods....

Some guys have all the luck.

Post 21 Sep 2020, 14:53 • #7 
Sport
The gut had no idea about fly rods. I offered him more cash. He bassiclly insisted on what I payed. Was a younger guy having a yard sale before the estate sale company was coming in.
We got to talking apparently his father was big into collecting fly rods early on and from what he said was very well off money wise.
Im trying to get label pics and handle pic to load but can't figure it out.

Last edited by Justinr6280 on 21 Sep 2020, 15:05, edited 2 times in total.

Post 21 Sep 2020, 14:58 • #8 
Master Guide
Photos, por favor.

Post 21 Sep 2020, 15:31 • #9 
Sport
Ok. Here's what I got.
1 2pc 6'7" custom built has epoxite lable but no ratings
3- 9'0" blanks light almost translucent brown color with a gold/yellow phillipson "badge" on the blank were the handle would be after built.
1- phillipson 3m rod blank 7'0" blank 5wt
1- 9'6" epoxite ef96 and phillipson is all that's written on the blank.
Last 3 are
Dfs- dry fly special hdh line 6.
These two and the 9'6" are the two I can't find nothing about.

Post 21 Sep 2020, 15:53 • #10 
Master Guide
The 9’6” is a unicorn of a rod that many of us are really curious about.
Can you work the photo uploader provided by FFR?

Post 21 Sep 2020, 16:02 • #11 
Sport
How do you mean. Again I apologize for this I am just learning the ins and outs of this site

Post 21 Sep 2020, 16:14 • #12 
Master Guide
So if you click the Add Reply button, there will be an image upload button somewhere about the top left of your screen.
Also jgestar already posted a link (ABOVE) to a thread explaining how to post photos.

Post 21 Sep 2020, 16:41 • #13 
Sport

[OK, I pulled the photos from the directory and put them in here. More in the next post. Tom]

Post 21 Sep 2020, 18:17 • #14 
Master Guide
There we go. Good work. More, please!
How many tips come with the EF96?

Post 21 Sep 2020, 18:40 • #15 
Sport
Here's another ferrules are brass. Blank is a lighter brown as you can see I hope.

Post 21 Sep 2020, 19:01 • #16 
Administrator
Justin, I moved your photos into the thread. Please take a photo break and see if I moved everything you were trying to post. From the photos you have posted so far, everything appears to be built from a blank or a 'kit'. None of the rods shown so far are factory rods. For most of it, there still isn't enough information to get an idea what you have. I'll make some guesses, but if you have more information it would help.

• 1 2pc 6'7" custom built has epoxite lable but no ratings - you have a rod built from a blank, does the rod have any markings?
  • 3- 9'0" blanks light almost translucent brown color with a gold/yellow phillipson "badge" on the blank were the handle would be after built - maybe very early Phillipson blanks? Are these the blanks with the metal ferrules?
  • 1- phillipson 3m rod blank 7'0" blank 5wt - a fly rod built from an early 70s rod blank, it could be any of the rods sold at that time.
  • 1- 9'6" epoxite ef96 and phillipson is all that's written on the blank. - a rod built from a kit because it has the correct reelseat, but the grip was modified and the thread work is 'custom'.
  • DFS - dry fly special hdh line 6 - a very early Phillipson from the late 50s

Here are the photos you want to get to help ID your rods:

First, a photo of the entire reelseat and rod grip. If you can include the ferrule from the other rod section, so much the better. This shows much about the condition of the rod and whether the pieces match the original factory style.

Second, a photo of the label, particularly including the model number. This may need 2-3 photos to show everything. These markings indicate the maker, the rod model, and suggested usage.

Third, a photo of the rod sections laying next to each other. If the rods have a rod tube or rod bag, include them in the photo. This photo shows if all the rod sections are the proper length and what is included with the rod.

Tom

Post 21 Sep 2020, 19:15 • #17 
Sport
The 9'0" yes metal ferrules

Post 07 Jul 2021, 10:12 • #18 
Sport
1 tip

New Topic Add Reply