It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:28

New Topic Add Reply
Glass spey collection
Post 03 Sep 2020, 09:16 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Last month I purchased a few blanks in a lot from a local guy who wasn’t building any more - it included a mystery white glass 13ft 8wt of unknown provenance. Could be Anglers Roost, but I thought those were all spigoted and this one is tipover. Could be McFarland, but I’m not ready to believe I got that lucky.

Anyway, in the process of puttering with the blank, I ended up getting out all my big glass Spey rods to compare and thought a photo was in order.

(Not shown are the trout/bass sizes - 10ft 5/6 James Green and Echo glass 3wt)

Post 03 Sep 2020, 10:30 • #2 
Master Guide
Is that top one a Fenwick two-hander? if so, pls give details on it.

Thanks.

Heddonist

Post 03 Sep 2020, 11:07 • #3 
Guide
Aw man Dave, color me jealous :D

Post 03 Sep 2020, 11:23 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Yep - that’s the FF1200-3. I picked it up last winter, but haven’t been able to fish it yet what with the pandemic, moving to a new house, etc.

It’s actually the rod from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68209

His pictures are better than mine. I’d been watching for one of these to show up for after I lost an eBay bidding war by $.50 three years ago, so I jumped on this one.

I’ve lawn cast it a fair bit with heads and a grass leader - it’s a really capable Spey rod. Deep bending but not too soft. Seems like it should land in the 400-450 grain range for scandi and skagit. I do wish it had a screw down reel seat rather than the double slide band (doesn’t fit quite as secure as I’d like) but it’s nothing some rubber tape wont fix. Hoping I can get it out this fall.

Post 03 Sep 2020, 14:12 • #5 
Master Guide
brockton,

Thanks. If it casts well with lines in that 400 450 gr range, it is unlikely it was originally rated as an 11-12 wt rod as indicated in the thread quoted. I know fiberglass rods are forgiving but that's a lot to ask.

What wt reel balanced it? The lack of reel seat hardware on the handle and the long fiberglass blank would make for a tip heavy rod that needs a heavy mill.

Heddonist

Post 03 Sep 2020, 14:57 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
It’s of course an inexact science, but I actually don’t think it’s that far off:
11-12 would be an overhead casting rating on the traditional single hand scale, which means 330-380 grains. If you take the (extremely loose) rule that you go up 2 line weights to find the grain weights needed for anchor point spey casting, that means a 13-14 wt single hand line, or 450-500 grains.

400-450 grains for spey casting is my guess, but I could be low. it’s hard to say until I’ve had it on water - I’ve found that spey casting on a lawn using a grass leader as an anchor can only help educate a guess as to what will actually work when water tension is involved.

For reels, yeah it needs something heavy. I have a One-pfoot tricked out Medalist 1498 that I’ve added weight to so as to balance the long glass rods. I think its around 10-11oz and its ok. Both slide bands move on the rod, so there is the option to move the reel back farther toward the butt, and the cork is really long so there’s the option to move your hand up - both of which will help balance it out.

I’m really looking forward to testing all this! Unfortunately my new hometown is a bit farther from big water than my old place, so none of the rods in the picture are going to see as much use this fall.

New Topic Add Reply