It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:58

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Fab 3wt Rod
Post 27 Aug 2020, 08:43 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
I too think the 406 #3 (I’ve got a DT3) to be slightly light. My preference is SA Trout in either WF or DT.

A ‘lawn casting line’ I really use to judge a 3 weight rod is an old Sage Quiet Taper II DT3. I still got a new in box for future fishing fun.

mrhoogly wrote:
I like the 406 4wt a lot, to me the 3wt is a bit light ....

Last edited by ibookje on 27 Aug 2020, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Aug 2020, 08:43 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Two rods I have cast over the years I found to be perfect 3wts. when members here said they were a four were a Kabuto 7’ 3wt and a black Scott 7’ 3wt. Both rods were great with a SA master series trout DT. 3.......If I buy a 3wt. and have to fish it as a four it’s out the door............Aurelio

Post 27 Aug 2020, 09:06 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
CrustyBugger wrote:
I would suggest the best ways to do it is to cast weight on both sides of the manufacturers “recommended line weight” in half line weight increments until you find the sweet-spot.

are we collecting this empirical data "grass casting"?
or actually on the trout stream catching fish?

because that matters, a lot.

Post 27 Aug 2020, 09:56 • #29 
Guide
Scott F703/2
Yomogi 703/3
Barclay 723
Dwight Lyons 703/3

Carl

Post 27 Aug 2020, 11:21 • #30 
Guide
aurelio corso wrote:
Two rods I have cast over the years I found to be perfect 3wts. when members here said they were a four were a Kabuto 7’ 3wt and a black Scott 7’ 3wt. Both rods were great with a SA master series trout DT. 3.......If I buy a 3wt. and have to fish it as a four it’s out the door............Aurelio

Aurelio, and that is exactly what I am trying to avoid in my own situation. Limited time and money.

Post 27 Aug 2020, 11:44 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
corlay wrote:
CrustyBugger wrote:

are we collecting this empirical data "grass casting"?
or actually on the trout stream catching fish?
because that matters, a lot.

I'm with you on that one too, Corlay. But it's not practical to do that with a group of guys. I only suggest this method to give clear direction for full evaluation. But like Aurelio, I don't usually pursue a rod much further if it's a full weight over or more. If I do, it better be exceptional because I probably already have rods that cast those lines well or probably better. But I live on a lake and evaluate on the water so I can roll cast, Belgian cast, etc. I also always use a yarn fly or debarbed weighted flies to evaluate how a rod performs. But fishing always has the final say on a rod.

Some perspective
Post 27 Aug 2020, 14:21 • #32 
Administrator
Perspective #1. The chart below tabulates the AFFTA line standards. There are no half line weights in that standard. The difference between a 3 weight line and a 4 weight line is 20 grains (a.k.a., 0.05 ounces or 1.3 g). That difference is equivalent to 6 feet of a 3 weight fly line. Less than a rod length.

Nobody has reported any line weight measurements (hint: it is easy to do). However, terms such as 'true', 'light', 'heavy', and 'half weight' have been used prolifically in this thread. These are just opinions when they lack empirical data to back them up. Please treat them as such.

Perspective #2. There is no such thing as a 3 weight rod. Sorry. Go to the affta.org/page/IndustryStandards website. Have a look around. There are standards for fly lines, spey lines, and reel feet. There is no standard or suggested method for rating rods. So where does that number on the side of the rod come from? The number is the opinion of the rod maker. Unlike fly lines, there is no way to back up a rod rating with measurements.

Many of us frequent this forum because our opinions vary from the mainstream of fly fishing. Within the forum, our casting styles vary, our age and muscles vary, and our available equipment varies. In particular, our favorite waters vary. Our opinions should vary too. Please understand that when you post. Cut your fellow forum members some slack.

Tom

Post 27 Aug 2020, 14:36 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
"weight is for first 30 feet of line minus level tip"

Tom - so, how is that determined?
I have a trusty Umpqua line scale to determine weights of lines that ship with reels that I buy,
but have always just measured the first 30', never accounting for a 'level tip".

Does that mean i need to get out my Verniers, and try to determine exactly where the line begins to taper?

Post 27 Aug 2020, 15:49 • #34 
Administrator
You could measure with a Vernier caliper, but fly lines are squishy. If the line maker published a tip length, I use that value. Otherwise I allow 6-12" for the tip section. The idea is to get the fused loops, needle knots, leaders, eyelets, and the like out of the measurement. With the Umpqua scale it would be difficult to get a separate measurement of the tip section. Weighing the first 30 feet is close enough, particularly if you amputate the old leader. You won't mistake a 6 weight for a 5 weight.

In America's Fly Lines, Vic Johnson indicates the decision to exclude the level tip section was arbitrary. However, when the line standard was developed, tip sections ran to 3 feet or more (the image below is from a 1957 Sunset line catalog). Modern lines typically have shorter tips based on the catalog/website information. Johnson also indicates the 30 foot length was based on the shooting heads West Coast fly fisherman were using at the time (page 107). Thirty feet was not a magic number based on average fishing conditions.

You aren't the only one with a box full of recovered lines you can't throw away. A separate discussion could be useful.

Tom

Post 27 Aug 2020, 19:51 • #35 
Master Guide
True and fine three weight rods I have known well.

Fiberglass:

Kenney 813. A very capable fly rod best enjoyed with a DT3.
Winston Stalker 6' 9" custom three sections. Fisher Winston glass feel in a small brook trout seeking size.
Custom Import 6' 6" three sections. So smooth it rivals the Winston and blank was from a respected friend.

Honorable mention from test casting but less time with:
Scott 653 casts well and has the right amount of zip to keep it interesting.
Barclay early three weight felt like a small to medium sized river match.
McFarland semi-parabolic that impressed.

Graphite:

Winston IM6 7' 6" three sections. Long time favorite for shorter graphite when brook & stream fishing.
Franke Para Delite 893P. Well crafted and a three weight fly rod for sure.
McFarland 9' 3" four sections. Unique taper and excellent for distance with most three weight lines.
Sage 389 two sections. A classic but eventually sold to pursue the flawlessly constructed Franke.

Bamboo:

A certain mid-sized 2/2 fly rod that cast amazing well and I am still hunting from the same builder.

Post 27 Aug 2020, 20:25 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
in the spirit of this thread, Ill list some great 3 wts I own, or have owned:

Studio Thin Line 7’0” 3pc
Lamaglas ‘Honey’ 7’0” 2pc
McFarland ‘Yellow Glass’ 6’3” 3pc
F.A.I.S./Caps ‘Personal’ (Right Staff) 6’8” 3pc
Tiemco ‘Bushmaster’ 5’9” 3pc
Diamondback ‘Diamondglass’ 7’0” 3pc
Kenney ‘Latte’ 7’3” 3pc

Post 27 Aug 2020, 22:45 • #37 
Master Guide
FWIW...

Kenney 733
Kenney 813
Barclay 723
Ijuin Yomogi 663

Post 28 Aug 2020, 07:42 • #38 
Guide
Corlay, I 've seen some F.A.I.S/caps rods on ebay, one was white and I think the other yellow, with an all cork grip and reel seat, is that what yours is/was?

Post 28 Aug 2020, 09:50 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Corlay, I 've seen some F.A.I.S/caps rods on ebay, one was white and I think the other yellow, with an all cork grip and reel seat, is that what yours is/was?

F.A.I.S is a "boutique maker" that specializes in exceptional custom builds on purchased blanks by other makers. (think: Matt Leiderman)

My rod's blank is a pretty, translucent lime/acid green.

Post 28 Aug 2020, 10:10 • #40 
Guide
Nice rod! Thanks for the info, I'm not sure what the rods I saw were then.

Post 28 Aug 2020, 18:14 • #41 
Guide
I don’t own much in the true 3wt category. I do own a CBarclay 7’ 3/4wt prototype that throws an SA Trout DT3 with authority. Probably my favorite creeking rod.

Post 04 Sep 2020, 16:35 • #42 
Master Guide
I forgot to mention my:
- Scott F703/3 black with blue lettering.
- Kazutomo Ijuin Yomogi 703/3.
- Lamiglas 703/2 factory built.

Lovely rods, all of them.

Post 05 Sep 2020, 11:45 • #43 
Master Guide
'Back in the day' we found the point where the taper began and the flatter, smaller, tip section ended by running the tip through a hook eye with a reasonably tight fit and pulling the tip through til it stopped. Then we had a starting point in deciding how much to cut off to both leave room for both soft presentation and smoother power transmission to and through the leader. In the early fly lines there was often quite a bit of excess tip to trim. Have not done in that dogs years with modern lines.

Post 08 Sep 2020, 16:34 • #44 
Inactive
Walt Powell had it right - label a rod for 3 or 4 line wts and tell the guy to go fish it with whatever felt best. That's how it should be done. But the marketing guys at the rod companies have the market pegged. They love to sell a guy four or five rods where one or two will do. Just be a decent caster and switch lines for different situations. I own over 100 rods and they all fish about the same. I just like them all. A few stand out but those are mostly cane. That being said - my favorite 3wt is a 7' Lamiglas built by our own Corlay. I fish it with an Orvis Superfine WF3 line. I don't have 2.5 or 3.5 lines, but I've been doing this long enough and have cast so many rod/line combos - I know a perfect paring when I cast it. Lovely rod.

Last edited by RMorrison on 09 Sep 2020, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post 08 Sep 2020, 17:50 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
Yep, I've cast quite a few recent 3 wt offerings, but still haven't found anything I like better than a Lami 7' 3wt.

Post 08 Sep 2020, 20:53 • #46 
Sport
I fish a James Green 7’3” 3wt Native Trout Series with a Bario dt3. I love it.

Post 09 Sep 2020, 09:34 • #47 
Inactive
Added some photos to my post above - such a nice rod.

Post 09 Sep 2020, 10:23 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful rod!

Post 09 Sep 2020, 12:20 • #49 
Guide
Nice rod!

Post 10 Sep 2020, 18:45 • #50 
Sport
I have been using an 8’3” Graywolf 3wt, “The Natural” and just love it. I throw a 3wt DT from 406 recommended by many on this forum, and really like the casting. It is a pretty tobacco blank and has a smooth, fun stroke that makes me grab it when I head out. I typically throw small streamers and foam terrestrials on a local warm water river.

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply