It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 02:26

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Fab 3wt Rod
Post 10 Sep 2020, 21:42 • #51 
Master Guide
I also love the Graywolf 8ft 3in The Natural. I tend to use it to fish with small dry flies and emergers with 12ft leaders but also enjoy casting Chernobyl ants on still water to whoever might be interested.
For a shorter 3wt, my Ijuin 7ft 3wt is a smooth casting dream.

Post 11 Sep 2020, 22:29 • #52 
Master Guide
My Hardy Stream is is just kind of automatic for me. Definitely casts well with a 3-wt line, and works well for trout up to 12”+. It is a great dry fly evening hatch rod. The biggest fish I’ve caught with it was a 15” or 16” rainbow. I definitely felt under gunned. Getting the fish into the net bent the Rod into a “C”.

Post 13 Sep 2020, 15:17 • #53 
Guide
James Green 8'3" Heritage Trout (I think) unsanded, I labled it a 4wt when building it but I think Mr Green sold it as a 3wt & after taking it fishing for the first time I found I liked it as a 3wt, my build weighs 3.2oz. A soft rod, I just took it out back with a Sage Quiet Taper 3DT, Cabelas 3DT & the white line is just an inexpensive 3WF, all three worked but I need to fish this rod more as its been out just the once because I do not use a 3wt on the Deschutes. Its not a big fish rod but for those who like a soft 8'+ this is a good one and its by no means a noodle.

Post 26 Sep 2020, 10:33 • #54 
Guide
Thank you everyone for your generous input into true 3wt rods, made it to 3 pages of drool worthy rods. Modern glass and 3wt seems to be alive and well.

Thanks to the extreme generosity of a board member, I am trying out a McFarland 7' 3wt this weekend.
I am really surprised by the lightness in hand, smooth flex, but yet the ability to cast beyond what I thought a 3wt could.
Right now, the only thing I would ask more of this rod is the ability to cast with a little bit of line out of the tip for in close work.

On another note, I don't think I saw one CTS rod listed in this list.
Wondering if anyone has experience with a 6' 6" CTS quartz 3wt?

Thank you again.

Post 26 Sep 2020, 14:02 • #55 
Glass Fanatic
That “one foot of line past the tip” ability was something I particularly noticed in a recent session with the Unstructured 3wt recently. In fact, choosing it that day was prompted by the appearance of this thread. And FWIW, any hesitation I had earlier about putting that rod on a “fab” list disappeared; in fact, it rocketed up the chart.

Post 26 Sep 2020, 15:32 • #56 
Glass Fanatic
I have a couple of Lamiglas rods that are labeled as 3 wts. My 6 1/2 ft rod actually casts best with a 5 wt line, while my 7 ft rod casts best with a 4 wt line. My casts are usually inside of the 30 ft standard used to rate line weights, however. In fact, I don't even own a line lighter than a 4 wt. I like a bit more diameter in the line I am fishing, just feels better to me.

Am curious to see what you settle on, let us know.

Post 27 Sep 2020, 21:54 • #57 
Sport
I built up a 7' 6" 2-piece Fisher Original graphite blank a few years ago for my wife that is absolutely the sweetest rod I have ever held. It is spot on perfect with a true-to-3-weight SA Sharkskin or level silk line. I sigh a little every time I pry it out of her hands for a few casts. A close second is a black Fisher glass 6 1/2 ft I made for myself.

Post 17 Oct 2020, 22:05 • #58 
Master Guide
So I am going back thru this thread and I think there is a real caused-by-the-industry issue — the whole “line inflation” (deflation?) thing. I feel like there is some segment of the fishing population that believes you’re a better fisherman if you (can) use lighter gear for a particular fish size. When I was a kid in the 1970’s, I recall that the “standard” rod was a 6wt. At some point it got pushed down to 5wt. And those “lighter” rods got stiffer to cast longer distances and handle bigger fish. And then line makers started blowing the AFTMA definitions to make heavier lines that would load the stiffer rods.

And now... (most) everyone is using 6wt rods and lines that are marked “5wt”. And sure enough, if you look at lines like the SA GPX or Rio Grand, they’re a half line weight (or more!) heavy. Given the line weight shift, I have to believe that many rod makers design their lighter rods in line with their heavier rods - so they’re “fast” and pair with today’s heavier lines. It’s all consistency given that they’re selling to folks who are coming from the fast 9’ 5wt (that is really a 6wt) standard.

The upshot? I do think the “true 3wt” question makes sense up to a point—at least to ask if a rod labeled 3wt was actually designed to work with 4wt (per AFTMA standards) lines. If I’m used to old-school rod feel and I’m looking for a 3wt, I don’t want a relabeled 4wt, right? Now, that doesn’t mean that a rod that casts a 3wt line well won’t also cast a 4wt well. To me, a “true 3wt” rod is one that was designed to cast a “true 3wt” line and feel right doing it.

Back to the original question - I took my Hardy Stream out yesterday. I had a good day and the rod performed well. I’m not sure it has that magical something that some rods have, but it just sort of “disappeared” and let me fish. I think that’s magic of a sort. They are discontinued now and I don’t think they show up too often, but if you find one at a good price, it might be worth a try.

Post 18 Oct 2020, 16:01 • #59 
Guide
paveglass wrote:
I have a couple of Lamiglas rods that are labeled as 3 wts. My 6 1/2 ft rod actually casts best with a 5 wt line, while my 7 ft rod casts best with a 4 wt line. My casts are usually inside of the 30 ft standard used to rate line weights, however. In fact, I don't even own a line lighter than a 4 wt. I like a bit more diameter in the line I am fishing, just feels better to me.

Am curious to see what you settle on, let us know.

I love this board!

This is the rod that I ended up with. A 7' 3wt McFarland.
I found a 2/3 Redington Drift reel to go with the rod as well.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=53937

Post 27 Oct 2020, 22:36 • #60 
Master Guide
That is a great rod you ended up with. A beautiful build too. Enjoy!

Post 28 Oct 2020, 10:22 • #61 
Glass Fanatic
Kenny 813
James Green original series 733
Scott F2 653

Post 05 Nov 2020, 15:54 • #62 
Guide
spielerman wrote:
Thank you everyone for your generous input into true 3wt rods, made it to 3 pages of drool worthy rods. Modern glass and 3wt seems to be alive and well.

On another note, I don't think I saw one CTS rod listed in this list.
Wondering if anyone has experience with a 6' 6" CTS quartz 3wt?

Thank you again.

Well it's not a 6'6" 3wt but an 8 footer CTS 3wt that I really like. Lets see if I can figure out the image deally here, it's been awhile since I've been here...

She's a fine little 3wt indeed and I can't recall exactly which line this is as it's been awhile since it's been fished. I have another minor issue (with canes...) and I have a fav. 7'6" 3/2 3wt made to a Payne taper that gives this rod some competition. They both fit well with that little Dingley, a fav. reel.

Been awhile since I've been here to the 'Glass forum but since I was just going over some really, really fine Vladan Milenkovic rods I thought I'd pop in again. Vlad makes some truly wonderful rods as many likely know...

Jeremy.

Post 05 Nov 2020, 18:34 • #63 
Glass Fanatic
Good-looking rod!

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply