It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:10

New Topic Add Reply
Fisher 2074 1/2
Post 21 Aug 2020, 09:55 • #1 
Guide
So....this baby came into my hands yesterday. First off, the rod name is just neat...never seen “1/2” used in a name. Fisher 2047 1/2. 7’6” 4 weight. Seller said he got in 1978. Looks like I need to dive into fisher history a bit more... 2nd thing about this rod....it feels just like my Phillipson EF76. Light in hand, great flex, easy to cast and in close it shines. I can’t wait to get this out to the water.

Re: Fisher 2074 1/2
Post 21 Aug 2020, 11:12 • #2 
Guide
You have a real winner and it looks to be in great shape . You may well find it to be one of the smoothest casting rods you own. I am a huge fan of the factory Fishers. I had been watching that rod and lost track of the time. Certainly glad to see it show up here. Congratulations !
Carl

Post 21 Aug 2020, 11:26 • #3 
Piscator
congrats - that's a very desirable configuration from one of the best makers ever

Post 21 Aug 2020, 12:06 • #4 
Master Guide
Great rod. I love the fisher's and those made by them. I've had quite a few from SA, Jannsen, Cortland, and built by blanks. For the most part I feel that they all have somewhat the same progressive feel that is such a sweet caster. Two were way different. The 8'6" 3wt by Jannsen and the only fisher made rod I have, a 7'6" 3wt, are like noodles. I'm sure made on the stalker mandrels or made like them as the controversy went.
I have a 7'3" 4/5wt that is the first rod I built from scratch and still love the smooth action.

Russell

Post 21 Aug 2020, 13:26 • #5 
Guide
@riffling honestly I threw a bid in at 2 min left and closed eBay down. I had “decided” to pass on it before because I don’t need another one.....yeah well the sensible side lost that battle.

Post 21 Aug 2020, 13:29 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Riffling Hitch wrote:
and the only fisher made rod I have, a 7'6" 3wt, are like noodles. I'm sure made on the stalker mandrels or made like them as the controversy went.

I had opportunity to cast this model once, and thought very seriously about buying it.
It was unlike any other strong-progressive Fisher blank that I've ever cast.
I truly regret passing on it.

Post 21 Aug 2020, 13:38 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1043&start=25#p130436

Post 21 Aug 2020, 17:11 • #8 
Master Guide
corlay wrote:
I had opportunity to cast this model once, and thought very seriously about buying it.
It was unlike any other strong-progressive Fisher blank that I've ever cast.

It is a fun rod to fish on smaller creeks and will protect as light of tippet as you can fish. It casts so lightly and presents so soft. The downside with it is setting the hook with the dryfly. I really have to be on my game with it and the dryfly or I miss a lot. The lift and hook set is telegraphed to the fly as slow as the rod. I imagine it to be somewhat similar to some of the Japanese rods from their descriptions on here.

With the Jansen rod I had you could go make a sandwich while waiting on the back cast. Also designed to protect light tippets with larger trout in lakes.

I prefer the stronger progressive action of the typical fisher.

I do not see that many Fisher factory rods, especially the lower line weights. I also wonder when the changes in builds happened. Talking about the hand writing vs the decal and epoxied wraps.

Post 21 Aug 2020, 20:23 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Wondered too, including whether the rod was a "custom built" by a local shop with more or less typical Fisher components (such as the Allan reel seat) that were also available to the rodbuilding trade and hobbyist. That would explain the handwritten labeling with the blank model number. But Fisher may have also had a small lot produced in this way. In general at the time, the marketing and distribution of light-line rods was small, plus refocusing to graphite rods. So small-batch, even leftover production, or small-shop assembly and sale of a very few would be possible. Someone who lived out closer to Fisher's prime area of distribution of complete rods for retail sale might remember, others who have or have seen several of that blank model.

Post 21 Aug 2020, 22:52 • #10 
Guide
From what I have seen Fisher factory rods were labeled like this one. They have Fisher Glass, the rod number ,length and line weight in handwritten script.
Carl

Post 22 Aug 2020, 09:07 • #11 
Guide
I understand now why people get a little giddy about fishers. I casted a blank build in this config a couple years ago at a fly shop in lanseboro, couldn’t forget the action. I couldn’t get the owner to sell it either....lol.

Post 22 Aug 2020, 09:50 • #12 
Guide
Upon further reflection/a good night's sleep....Fisher's "3-Jays" rods are factory Fisher Glass with a sticker and not handwritten script. The reel seat, grip, thread color and wrap style are the same. Whether handwritten or stickered they are smoooooth casters.
Carl

New Topic Add Reply