It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:07

New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Jul 2020, 16:40 • #1 
I have one inscribed Heddon Tubular Glass #G.T. 702 - 7 1/2 There is a marking 5.1 near the hook retainer? While I know this rod is older than myself it looks perfectly able to be used. I also opened a new rod that has never had a reel mounted that is most likly pre 1961 my birth year. the only identifiers on this rod is a sticker. Golden Gate quality fishing tackle with a number 17 stamped on it. It measures out at 8.5 feet. Any ideas?

What type of line would one use and what reels might I be thinking about? How much fish might these handle. I'd appreciate any and all info anyone might have.

Thanks and Happy fishing!

Post 28 Jul 2020, 18:58 • #2 
Administrator
Hi, Welcome to the Forum!

If you could post some photos of your rod, that would help with the identification. Also, there is a thread with images of most all of the early Heddon catalogs. Look through those to see if your rod matches the catalog info and images.

I am not familiar with Golden Gate fishing tackle.

Tom

Post 29 Jul 2020, 13:52 • #3 
Here are some pictures, hope this helps. Ron

[Please don't delete the 'timg' or 'rimg' codes or the images won't display. Tom]

Post 29 Jul 2020, 14:51 • #4 
Administrator
I thought that might be the case, but I wanted to see photos to be sure. You have a very early Heddon rod, from 1951. See this earlier thread for more info. For some reason Heddon painted the blanks with a faux bamboo look.

Your rod should have nickel ferrules. Keep them clean for the best performance.

Tom

Post 29 Jul 2020, 17:26 • #5 
Any idea about the Wt of this rod. I need to fit it with a reel and dont know where to start. It feels fairly light. I thank you for responding and look forward to getting out and fishing with it. Love the fact I can fish with my inherited rods that predate my birth. Thanks again, Ron

New Topic Add Reply