It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:56

New Topic Add Reply
My name is Breaker!
Post 28 Jun 2020, 10:20 • #1 
Inactive
Well not really. I did set a new record. I broke three Graphite fly rods in 10 months. Not bragging but I did. My budget is gone. Vacation is in a week (Green River, UT). So I ordered the cheapest fiberglass rod I could find until this vacation blows over and I can think things through a bit. I'm new to this forum and I'm awestruck that all this info is available to me. I'm also not familiar with descriptive terms and brands related to old glass and have only been fly fishing for a year.

I thought glass was dead. Doesn't look like it.

So I have two questions and I hope you'll be able to guide along:
1) The rod I bought is an Eagle Claw 7/8 crafted glass. What should I expect from it as far as casting is concerned. should I use 7, 8 or other wt line.
2) What would be a good classic and affordable fiberglas battle-axe for future use with streamers for under $100. I realize there is orient-made stuff in this category but I have strong feelings to buy American and preferably old and respected.

My target species is simple. Panfish and Pickerel. Occasionally I allow a bass onto the line but would prefer not to.

Best Regards!
Baron

Re: My name is Breaker!
Post 28 Jun 2020, 11:05 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome. Sooo many options for battle ax old rods. Buy a few dozen or more (that is my approach to the problem)

No familiar with that EC, but I would start with a cheap wf8f and go have fun. You will need to slow your casting down a bit, In short range casting (like we fish most of the time) you should find it much more pleasant that graphite.

Take pictures, we love pictures....

Post 28 Jun 2020, 11:25 • #3 
Guide
Judging by the price of EC rods they are most likely manufactured overseas but I do not know that for sure and I love bass... Have you looked at the For Sale items on this board? Lunker75 has some nice sticks for sale in your price range and welcome!

Post 28 Jun 2020, 11:26 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I've bought five or six Berkley Para/Metrics over the last year on eBay. I feel they have been one of best buys recently.

Study sold listings before you buy, so you have an idea what the price range should be.

Barry

Post 28 Jun 2020, 11:46 • #5 
Guide
I have that rod in a 3wt . It's okay but kind of clumsy feeling . Mine likes a 4wt line so yours probably will do well with an 8wt . As far as casting , I let the rod tell me what it likes . As for an older rod I cant tell you as I dont like them but I have built several glass rods and my favorite so far is the Blue Halo . I dont know where it's made and dont care , its mid priced and nice . Good luck on the Green and your search .

Post 28 Jun 2020, 12:57 • #6 
Inactive
I'm told it is terrestrial time on the Green so it will be the least demanding of casting skills. I like the backup rod I have but it is not terribly good beyond 30 or 40' and is too goodly for anything bigger than a #10 Chernobyl Ant. It is a noodle from the 60's or 70's, Wright Mcgill.
I am still Fishing with a Wye reel 6wf and a Caddis Creek Martin with 8wf as a backup.

What I intend to do is as suggested by Barry and that is to read and read and read about glass and past. I'm also in love with mid-age reels. Old enough to be sentimental I really like Battenkills and all similar from the same area.

I do believe I'm in good company and will enjoy this site for many years.
Could anyone tell me about this old 6wt. Must be a dept store model.

Post 28 Jun 2020, 13:58 • #7 
Inactive
One of the major problems I've seen when trying to compare vintage fiberglass to graphite rods is the terminology written on them. Case in point I saw an old Phillipson with 4.5oz on it and my graphite has 6wt written on it. The old phillipson Is surely more accommodating and but what weight is it, not what does it weigh. It seems that allot of old fiberglass are missing the wt rating. It would seem, in some ways, that they aren't really comparable as their actions are quite different. So how does one know if an unrated vintage rod will toss a heavy #4 streamer or only be useful for smaller panfish and trout. Modern graphite rods are well marked in their action and tips and your experience is likely to bear out those ratings.

Post 28 Jun 2020, 15:26 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Main_Page
Go brand by brand through the list in the left margin.
On older rods, two things 1) line weights were given by silk line diameter chart- http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/bamboo/
2) most anglers assumed what translates to DT7 in modern lines to be correct unless the rod was other wise marked.

Post 28 Jun 2020, 15:59 • #9 
Master Guide
A rule of thumb that works for me on vintage rods,
Seven foot and shorter: 5/6 lines
71/2’: 6/7lines
8’: 7/8 lines
This is a good starting point for rods that are old enough to not have line ratings or the letter ratings only.

Tim

Post 29 Jun 2020, 09:07 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
That's a good ballpark list. Here's another: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37931&p=124871&hilit=Outdoor+Life#p124871

In feeling out a 'glass rod as to possible line weight, try to dull expectations developed from graphite which is, essentially, stiffer and appearing to damp more readily, especially if not loaded and unloaded as in in casting.

Thus many great 'glass rods may feel "noodly" to the unfamiliar. I can't say for the E.C. rod that you have, but quite likely it is a capable 7-8 weight at the very least, and certainly fit for casts beyond 30 or 40 feet. But If the caster rushes the rod, the whole system is set to vibrating. Load with a progressive application of power, pause, progressive power on the forecast. The magic is just as Magic said above: "slow your casting down." Let the rod do the work, and it will.

Post 29 Jun 2020, 10:41 • #11 
Inactive
Thanks for reassuring me. The rod arrives tomorrow night and then Friday morning off to Utah. So I'll have little time to play with it. I know that once I put my light rod to use the whole world slows down and the sport becomes much more relaxing.
I believe that fiberglas is the direction I want to go. It will take time to re-assess my preferences in terminal add-ons and flies as well.

New Topic Add Reply