It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:49

New Topic Add Reply
Two Fenwicks
Post 24 Jun 2020, 12:17 • #1 
Sport
I've duly searched here and google so I need a bit of old knowledge. I have questions on two Fenwicks.

When I was a young man a friends father built me a fly outfit for fishing the small NorCal mountain streams. It is on a 7'2" 2 piece with a number FL 8485 F. 6 wt Any knowledge or experience on this blank? And maybe a suggestion for a reel type. It had a Martin MC78 on it which has succumbed temporarily to lots of garage corrosion. (Never used).

The second is a Fenwick FF909 I just picked up. And with my 2 hours of knowledge acquired here I bought a Martin SD910. Have I completely blown it for fly fishing stripers and salmon, or did I get my moneys worth at $100 for both?

I am retiring soon and want to try something new even though I have way too much fishing stuff now. And I want to enjoy it before I go for the good stuff. I do have a tendency to buy too much.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Two Fenwicks
Post 24 Jun 2020, 12:54 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Most factory Fenwicks are described here; https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Fenwick

Post 24 Jun 2020, 13:12 • #3 
Sport
Thanks Trev for the reply. I did see that in my research but it is no help with other than just a listing of my model #. I know the model number, but would like to know of any experience using the blanks themselves. Or the best application of them in the field. I am literally at day one of my schooling. But I'm so-so at the interwebs.

I know where I'm going to try using them and my ego can stand being told 'you're doing it wrong', but since I'm old I'm trying to shorten the learning curve. I don't have many years of mobility left to get this right, lol.

Post 24 Jun 2020, 14:28 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
The lack of comments after the rod descriptions of the longer 8-9-10-11-12 weight rods in the Wiki is because they weren't popular enough with the forum users of the day that anyone could comment, I imagine they still aren't well known. Fiberglass fly rods in lengths beyond 8'6'' are bordering on being too much of a good thing, tiresome to use.
The FF909 can't be a great deal different than my FF85 that is just 6'' shorter, about the weight and rated as 8-9 wt.; so I'd guess that it is a moderately fast strong rod useful as a bass rod, streamer rod, light salt water rod, heavy trout/steelhead rod, and a fair/good roll-caster. I'd put a 9 weight rocket taper floating line on it as a starter, I'd also use a Medalist 1498 or similar weight reel.
The FL84-5 (if that is what it is) is discussed here; viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64961
Recent build FF84-6F here; viewtopic.php?f=8&t=67811
In general the FL designates a blank rod, the 84 is the length in inches and the number following the dash is the suggested line weight- for one or two piece rods, numbers -8485 F- from your blank/kit rod don't match any that I've seen.
Instructions for loading pictures of the rods here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2353

Post 24 Jun 2020, 19:19 • #5 
Sport
Thanks again Trev. My blank is definitely labelled Fl 8485F 6wt. Spaced as shown. The letters are black block. I can't tell whether the printing was a stamp on the blank, or my buds' dad added a label (no edges can be seen or felt). There is a small black vertical mark between 84,85 just like the comma I just inserted. But no space.

The lower is put together with a Hypalon grip and a graphite lock down. There is a small 'S' shaped eyelet to hook the fly just above that, followed by a double foot guide. The upper half has 5 single foot guides followed by the tip guide. All the guides seem to be ceramic or whatever was used in late 1970's when it was made for me. It measures exactly 84" when the two pieces are together.

I am not sure which link might apply as of yet. I will get some pics up and then ask for more opinions.

Post 26 Jun 2020, 13:17 • #6 
Sport
Here are some pics. Sorry, new phone & haven't had a clear pic yet.

Post 27 Jun 2020, 16:40 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
The FF909 is a 9' 9wt (and if it is anything like the other 3digit fenwicks will be a great striper rod.
The FL is was sold as a blank and the 84 as you figured out is inches, but I'm unsure about the 85.
Let us know how it casts. You did well for your $100

Post 27 Jun 2020, 20:44 • #8 
Sport
Thank you Carlz. But if I was to tell you I have never cast a fly rod in anger, you would realize my description would be near useless. Hopefully by the end of summer I'll make some sense.

My choices for reels has doubled this week, so I will be figuring out what feels good for working the Cal Delta stripers.

Post 27 Jun 2020, 21:38 • #9 
Emeritus
I have found that the longer Fenwick rods are a bear. I do not fish any of them over 8'
Having said that, I have never cast a 909 and hope you have good results.
Anytime I need more than my ff807 I go to graphite.
Just my opinion from a long time fenwick user

Post 28 Jun 2020, 07:08 • #10 
Piscator
ribs1 wrote:
I have found that the longer Fenwick rods are a bear. I do not fish any of them over 8'...

I don't think that's specific to Fenwick - glass rods are just superseded by moderate graphite in 9' rods.
Unlike with shorter rods, you gain nothing but weight with glass at that length.
Give me a good graphite II (IM6) for 9', though I'm plenty happy with my S-glass and cane rods at 8-1/2'.

New Topic Add Reply