It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:42

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Abu Feralite
Post 04 Jul 2020, 16:35 • #26 
Guide
I was thinking of Fenwick not wanting Abu selling those rods in North America rather than elsewhere in Europe. But first to admit, I simply don't know and I'm just trading hunches.

I've appreciated the input from you all on this puzzle. The introduction of American glass into the European market before any were rolled on this side of the Atlantic appears to be a story yet to be completed - but it looks to include Conolon to Pezon et Michel and later Abu, Fisher to Hardy, Phillipson to Sharpe, and at least Fenwick ferrules (and maybe blanks) to Abu.

Post 05 Jul 2020, 01:48 • #27 
Guide
Sorry if this is already in the thread. I acquired an Abu Feralite a few months back ( for a fraction of what the rod here was asking) and have been catching trout on it. It’s a decent rod . I must confess I knew nothing of the possible Fenwick link and got it for nostalgia and because I always liked the quality of Abu in the 70’s and 80’s. Anyway I always try and do a little research and I had taken this image from Wayne’s page. I have had to resize it for posting here and hope it can be seen? and that it may add something to the thread? There is what looks like a reference to Fenwick at the top of the image, not from the Tight Lines but from Wayne’s site I think. I will post some pics of my Feralite also. The rod has an unusual distinction in that there is an engraving on the underside of the reel seat. Wayne suggested it was a personal addition but it might have mentioned something regarding patent.

[I deleted the image. That catalog scan belongs to Wayne Real. Please don't post other people's images without their permission. Photos of your rod are fine because they are your images. Tom]

Post 05 Jul 2020, 02:19 • #28 
Guide

Post 05 Jul 2020, 02:59 • #29 
Guide
Apologies Tom, never realised but duly noted.

Post 05 Jul 2020, 05:20 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Nice. Thanks for the pics. All I can say is "parafin" is spelled wrong on that sticker. So now we have to see if there is another run of Fenwicks or ABUs with paraffin stickers.

Post 05 Jul 2020, 06:38 • #31 
Sport
On my Abu rod it is also written: "parafin" but
on my Fenwick FF706-4 Voyageur its written the same - parafin!

Post 05 Jul 2020, 07:11 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Well, in British "paraffin" usually means kerosene, so that marking might indicate US origin.

Post 05 Jul 2020, 08:53 • #33 
Guide
And there we have an Allan reel seat. That’s what I thought was on the 8910 currently on eBay U.K.

Post 05 Jul 2020, 09:52 • #34 
Guide
Oh Allan is a reel seat manufacturer, I thought it was possibly an inscription :P I’ve a lot to learn! Never really thought of Abu as using others components somehow! They were the best of the best when I was a kid or that’s how we saw them!

Post 05 Jul 2020, 10:18 • #35 
Sport
Also DAM / Germany used these Allan reel seats on some of their rods.

Post 05 Jul 2020, 18:52 • #36 
Sport
Hi All,

While we await the possibility of more definitive information on the source(s) of ABU Feralite blanks, I have some information related to the discussion above.

On the topic of Allan hardware, stamped on the reel seat shown above is “des.pat. 196517”, which is a US design patent number. I couldn’t find it at USPTO, but fortunately Google has the document archived to a PDF download. The design patent is by Allan Manufacturing Company, Hicksville, NY applied for Jan. 22, 1962 and patented Oct. 8, 1963.

I was going to tell you I have a 2675 Garcia Conolon spinning rod circa 1970 assembled from a US-made Conolon blank in Canada by Huron Fishing Tackle, Inc. The "ALLAN" stamp on the line guides appears to be the same as on the reel seat pictured above. Allan Tackle Manufacturing, Hicksville, NY has a later patent for a line guide, different from the guides I have and the company name is slightly different. Anyway, that’s mooted by finding the actual design patent document (linked above).

Next, ABU's 1969 limitation, “for the time being, available in Scandinavia and Great Britain only” appears not to have held. See the 1971 Tight Lines catalog. (RealsReels.com does not have a 1970 catalog posted.)

Lastly, I don't know if this is specifically what's being referred to, but yes, Fenwick did change the decal for Feralite, to something like FERALITE® (see “Unclassified” page 7 of 41 in my USPTO link above). I can’t speak to the years for that.

John

Post 30 Sep 2021, 12:24 • #37 
Those Abu rods are made of Fenwick blanks for sure. Here is a small picture. (I am trying to get that rod for some pike fishing.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply