It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:43

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Jun 2020, 15:23 • #1 
Guide
Acquired recently, used yesterday for first time. Managed a couple of trout. Rod was robust and certainly different from other glass rods. Any info gratefully accepted. I was under the impression this was an inexpensive American Rod perhaps 1960’s? The legend on the rod says Marbou or Maubou ? Another distinction is despite being an 8’6” it only has one guide on the bottom section and this is situated near the ferrule ( which is chrome metal) . There seemed no clear evidence or sign on the section that a first rod guide has been removed?
After using it I think it would be best to fit one! TIA

Post 14 Jun 2020, 20:21 • #2 
Master Guide
Blank and wrap colours sure look Harnell to me.

Post 14 Jun 2020, 23:49 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I had similar thought. Harnell used a fish symbol though right?lll

Post 15 Jun 2020, 02:10 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
No yellow under the guide feet. Harrington did sell lots of blanks though.

Post 15 Jun 2020, 07:22 • #5 
Piscator
Harrington had to sell a lot of blanks to keep going after he and his partner split and sold Harnell to H-I/Gladding.
We already know he exported blanks to Finland.
The red wraps are characteristic Harnell - can't see the ferrule very well, but that looks Harnell.
Varmac reel seats also came from the postwar partnership, and looks like you have a nice one there.
I believe that's a Harnell 655R blank in great condition. I also think Trev has one to tell you about how it casts and fishes.
Mine are 8' and 7'6", but all Harnell rods have a characteristic para taper.

Post 15 Jun 2020, 10:46 • #6 
Guide
Thank you. All sounds promising. Thought it looked unusual and definitely worth checking out for seven and a half quid - delivery cost more actually! I am putting up some other pictures but is it safe to say this is an American rod from around the 50’s?

Post 15 Jun 2020, 12:07 • #7 
Piscator
Yes, it really looks like a Harnell/Harrington from 60s.

Post 15 Jun 2020, 12:09 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
In addition to the hardware and resemblance to a Harnell product--both suggesting 1960 plus or minus--the use of the term "tubular glass," as on your rod, or "hollow glass" and its tradename variants, also suggests a product of 1960 or so. When fiberglass was relatively new, terms like that suggested a latest technology/upscale distinction from solid 'glass rods, which were also still on the market.

Post 15 Jun 2020, 22:59 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
I believe that's a Harnell 655R blank in great condition. I also think Trev has one to tell you about how it casts and fishes.
Mine are 8' and 7'6", but all Harnell rods have a characteristic para taper.

Mine is the 9' 650R and I still haven't fished it, it lawn casts wonderful and though it isn't as line fussy as some rods, I think I'll like it best with a 9wt line. Still in moderately high water here, and I forgot to buy the vet tape to level up the grip with.
I do think the rod in above is a Harrington blank, they all have a peculiar black sheen that other black rods don't have, and the red thread seems a distinct shade as well, I've wondered if he supplied the components with the blanks in kit form because a lot of the custom rods on his blanks do have that red thread.

Post 16 Jun 2020, 18:42 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Looks cheap to me. I can see the color resemblance to the mentioned rods, but that is about it.

However, I'll be the first to say I know almost nothing about Harnell.

Might zoom on that ferrule when I get to a real computer.

Post 17 Jun 2020, 04:20 • #11 
Guide
Oh well that’s one against 3 or 4 for..... let me know if you have any further observations then majicwrench. Of course it is what it is and like majicwrench I have no experience here in relation to these Harnell rods. I can say it seems distinctive and different to my other glass rods , particularly the overall feel and finish / patina . It has also stood up very well to the rigour of obvious use and time, beyond that I am open minded but more persuaded that it is a Harnell blank.

Post 17 Jun 2020, 16:14 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I'm just making note of the fact that anybody can paint a blank black and use red thread, and that does not make it a Harnell.
But it certainly could be.

Post 17 Jun 2020, 18:40 • #13 
Piscator
Harnell blanks aren't painted black - I believe he used carbon black in the resin formulation to stiffen it.
Even my bronze-painted, H-I-made Harnell 1652 has a black-resin blank beneath the paint.
Probably noteworthy that other contributors on this thread have put in some time looking at Harnell/Harrington blanks and finished rods.

Post 17 Jun 2020, 20:11 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
So HI made black blanks too?

Post 17 Jun 2020, 22:05 • #15 
Administrator
bulldog1935 wrote:
Harnell blanks aren't painted black - I believe he used carbon black in the resin formulation to stiffen it.

There's nothing new under the sun. This would work much like Hardy Sintrix, which came out decades later. Harrington was there first!

Tom

Post 17 Jun 2020, 22:16 • #16 
Piscator
It was a wholesale move to Arizona that dissolved the Harnell partnership - the business lost money that year, the company divided, name and process sold.
Any Harnell rod made after 1965 was made in the H-I Carolina plant, which was bought by Gladding, and combined with South Bend, and Harnell eventually passed with the move to offshore manufacturing.
John Harrington continued in 1965 making his identical mandrels and blanks as he immediately moved back to California, and further well into the 90s.
A few years ago, there was supposed to be a re-start of Harrington blanks - that apparently never got off the ground.
Roy's Bait and Tackle in Corpus Christi bought and sold scads of Harrington blanks.
This has been covered in detail on the forum and doesn't take too much effort to search.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 18 Jun 2020, 06:34, edited 2 times in total.

Post 17 Jun 2020, 23:03 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Got that 650R wet yesterday; it launches a #9 Rocket nicely and bends almost to the grip with a 1 1/2# small mouth. I lawn cast it enough with a WF5 to believe it'd be a fair light line nymph rod. Six months of high water and too many rainy days has left me out of shape with bad timing, so the outing was more of an exercise and practice session in heavily pressured water than a true fishing day.
The gloss black on my Harnell is not paint, that's why I said it is different looking than other black rods I've seen, the finish is unlike any fiberglass rod I have owned. If the rod in question is in paint, I'd guess that would show it not to be a Harrington/Harnell.
Ron mentioned Harrington exported blanks to Finland and Charles Ritz mentioned Harnells being sold in Europe in the '60s, so one cropping up on that side of the ocean is likely, I reckon. And I'd bet there's no telling nor any records of how many Gladding ran off or where they sold them.

Post 17 Jun 2020, 23:21 • #18 
Guide
The rod in question is definitely not painted black. In fact the more I learn from you guys about the Harnell blanks the more convincing the case is, IMO. Thanks.

Post 18 Jun 2020, 06:26 • #19 
Piscator
thanks for your report Trev

New Topic Add Reply