It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:27

New Topic Add Reply
C-822 7'9" Wonderod Help
Post 13 Jun 2020, 13:15 • #1 
Hello all. I am new here and have thoroughly enjoyed reading through and searching for answers to questions I have had after I was given (by my uncle) his old C-822 7'9" Action Taper Wonderod with a Pfluger Medalist 1492. He definitely used this combination a lot on the river and I would love to put this to use along with my other fly rods...but it needed (and needs) some work.

After building new pawl springs for the reel, I am onto the rod itself. Only one of the guides on the butt section looks original as it still has the gold wrapping. While I have searched before posting (and I many still have missed it), I have not found a clear answer to what the guides may have originally been on this rod (snake vs stripping) and the placement. It can be fished as is but only has 5 guides (which I think is 2 few many).

Also, it seems to be rated for WF6F as an option, has anyone used a WF7F on this rod? I already have this line as an extra and was thinking of putting it on the setup (with no backing).

Thank you for any help and have a wonderful day.

Post 13 Jun 2020, 16:32 • #2 
Guide
My 7'9" FY-A 510 Wonderod has a single stripper, 5 snake guides and a tiptop. The stripper is located 30.5" from the end cap, and the first snake guide is 9.75" from the stripper. The first guide on the tip section is located 10.5 from the bottom of the ferrule. The remaining guides are 22.5", 32.25" and 40" from the bottom of the ferrule.

I also have an 8' FY 110 that has the same basic guide layout. My rods fish fine as is, but if you are going to rewrap your rod it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to add a couple of guides. I fish both of these rods with a WF7, and a 1495 Medalist. Mike

Post 13 Jun 2020, 17:14 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I have one Wonderod don't know model but 7'9" = tiptop, snakes @5", 12 1/2", 21", 30 1/2", 41", 51 3/8", Stripper 61 1/4 = 6 snakes

Post 13 Jun 2020, 18:22 • #4 
Administrator
Flydad5, Welcome to the forum!

Your rod first is in the 1965 Shakespeare catalog. There are catalog scans, including an image of your rod (click here). The rod has 4 snake guides on the tip section and a snake and the stripper on the butt section. The rod is unusual for a Wonderod as it has a black blank with gold wraps and gold foil under the wraps. If you look closely, you may be able to find the old guide locations.

You can rebuild the rod with how ever many guides and whatever wraps you wish. If the black paint is still in good shape, that rod would be a nice looking outfit if it were redone like the original.

The catalog suggests D, HDH, or 2LM lines. Most would describe those as 6 weights, or even a 5-ish weight for the HDH. But why not give it a try with a WF7? You won't break the rod and the game warden won't take your license. If you like the rod with the 7 weight, then that is the line for you with that rod.

Tom

Post 13 Jun 2020, 20:34 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Neat, a black Wonderod!

Put the number of guides on rod that it came with.

Bet a 7wt works well on it. I have a couple of 7'9" Wonderods (don't know numbers off hand) and use a WF7F on both of them.

We love pictures BTW................

Post 14 Jun 2020, 14:48 • #6 
Thank you all for the great information, this forum has been a great resource, no doubt due to the vast experience of its members.

I have to admit that I was really skeptical that this rod was weighted for 6 wt. which is why I was worried about the 7wt. line. In my mind it was more a 4 or possibly a 5 wt tops. This had to do with the way it felt compared to my more modern fly rods. I weighed the line that came off of it (on the medalist) and it was a 7 wt...which I thought strange. However, I put my old 7 wt. on and spent 2 hours casting in the yard yesterday. It felt great and I'm sure I don't have to tell any of you that this rod is different than anything I've ever used before...its so different its hard to walk away from.

As for the guides, I do plan to redo with the gold on the black while replacing the guides when I get all the needed items. The only original guide left with the gold wrapping was crushed so it will eventually need replaced too. I will try to upload some pics of it as is - and how it will be fishing tomorrow :) . That leads to my next question, I have never redone a rod before, where might I find the materials needed to do this?

I have included some pictures of the rod (if they post): just note that these are taken of the rod as is from storage above his garage...I have not done any cleaning on it yet.

Thanks again,
Cheers!

Post 14 Jun 2020, 15:26 • #7 
Administrator
You may wish to start by giving the rod a bath with some soap and warm water. The grip and reelseat look OK in the photo. The third photo shows the original stripping guide and guide wraps. The first photo shows a spinning rod guide that was added to the rod. The yellow wraps that first photo must have held a snake guide at some phone.

Does the rod still disassemble into two pieces? Is the rod ferrule still functional?

Tom

Post 14 Jun 2020, 15:35 • #8 
Yes it still breaks down into 2 pieces and that all looks to be in great condition. The spinning real guides are added throughout the length of the rod...5 total (not including tip).

Rob

Post 14 Jun 2020, 15:41 • #9 
Guide
A quick google search for fly rod components will return a number of results. I have bought components and a rod wrapper from Mud Hole, but there are certainly other vendors out there. You can find instructional videos on guide spacing and wrapping on Youtube, and you can learn a lot by browsing the Rod Building and Tackle Tinkering forum on this site. You could do the job with new guides, size A thread, color preserver (if desired), and thread finish (either epoxy or spar varnish depending on your preference). A hand wrapper makes the job easier, but you can wrap guides using a coffee mug, a book, and a cardboard box with two notches cut on the sides. This should be a fun project, and the rod will certainly cast better with new guides. In my experience, the 7'9" Wonderods make great bass rods, and I use mine to throw poppers, crawfish patterns and weighted streamers. Good luck and enjoy your Wonderod.

New Topic Add Reply