It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:15

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Jun 2020, 16:43 • #1 
Master Guide
Here's a few rods for your viewing pleasure...
Dave Lewis (Performance Fly Rods) 7'0"-#4-2pc. This is a rod from 1999, epoxy finish. An early standard build with a Bob Venneri reel seat. I remember visiting Bob at his home and picking out a few reel seats and woods... in my early days of rodbuilding. The classic brown wraps with tan tipping.

Another Dave Lewis 7'6"-#3/4-3pc. Presentation Rod. This one from 2009 with spar varnish finish. The spalted maple insert with REC hardware. Struble agate, etc. Orange wraps with burgundy tipping.

Bill Franke 8'0"-#5-3pc.
Bill was a friend who helped me get into the rodbuilding rat race. He helped with supplies, etc. Bill was a true gentleman that I was proud to know. This rod has his own hardware and rod tube hardware... this rod, in my opinion, is pure class. A standard of classic fly rods... (would of took more pics, but a thunderstorm rolled in)

Post 10 Jun 2020, 17:39 • #2 
Guide
Great workmanship displayed. Thanks for sharing Fred.

Post 10 Jun 2020, 17:43 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Bill was an acquaintance who I considered a friend from our business dealings in One-Pfoot stuff and a few hysterical conversations over the phone. I wanted one of his 7'0" 3wts more than anything and he was going to build me one but his health issues got in the way.

Sadly, he never got well enough to build me that rod and I miss him.

Those are some beautiful rods you have there!!

Post 10 Jun 2020, 18:55 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for sharing those lovely rods, Fred. Dave’s wife, Mary Lu, did the best writing I think I have ever seen on any rod. She still maintains Dave’s site which has great content: http://www.davelewisflyrods.com/ My good friend, Jay (gearboy), turned me on to Dave’s rods years ago.

Although Bill’s rods were works of perfection, I would have bought one just for his beautiful tubes. He was indeed a true gentleman and sadly missed by all who knew him. ( A photo of Bill taken at the then Allenberry Resort show at Boiling Springs, PA. He is the tall gentleman in the tan shirt in the right of the photo. You can see his wonderful rods and tubes in the rack.)

Post 10 Jun 2020, 19:33 • #5 
Master Guide
I have two of his graphite rods -- a 9' 3/4 wt and 10' 6-7wt -- that show the same quality workmanship and attention to detail. Alas none of his glass rods...

Heddonist

Post 11 Jun 2020, 04:25 • #6 
Master Guide
Fred, Beautiful fly rods. Enjoyed seeing your photographs.

Post 11 Jun 2020, 08:17 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Wonderful post Fred, and Duff, thanks for the link. Great exploring.

Post 11 Jun 2020, 08:43 • #8 
Guide
Nice rods. Have seen a couple of nice looking Bill Franke carbon rods but not cast any.

Post 11 Jun 2020, 11:49 • #9 
Guide
Fred
Thanks for the viewing pleasure.
Bill Franke 8'0" #5-3pc...pure class...a standard of classic fly rods...absolutely!
I have a 6'6" #3-2pc little brother that fits the same standard. It has Bill's black cap & ring hardware and lovely tube. The blank and threads match yours. It is a sublime casting fly rod.
Carl

Post 11 Jun 2020, 15:40 • #10 
Master Guide
Tom - Bill Franke’s brass rod tube hardware was all over the northeast. It was my standard hardware for my early fiberglass rods. I remember Bill meeting me halfway with 16 foot sections of 1-5/8” tubing strapped to the roof of his Volkswagen diesel wagon in a snowstorm.
Carl - I’m sure that 6’6” rod is a gem. The 805-3 reminds me of a Leonard 50... just a nice taper, smooth as can be. The components and build details are so well done... surely a practiced hand and an eye for detail. Bill was a master of the craft.

Post 11 Jun 2020, 17:56 • #11 
Master Guide
Beautiful rods Fred. Thank you for sharing. I don’t think I’ve seen a Bill Franke rod before but have heard the name. Looks perfect to me.

Post 11 Jun 2020, 19:33 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Lovely classic glass at its best.

Post 11 Jun 2020, 23:26 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I met Bill in person once - at the Catskills ‘Summerfest’ back in 2010-2011-ish?

I recall our conversation: We were discussing your “Brown Series”, Fred. I told him that I had just purchased the 8’0” #5 blank. Bill just raved about it. I so clearly remember him saying “that rod is a fishing machine.”

A fine compliment from one of our “lost masters”...

Post 13 Jun 2020, 13:23 • #14 
Administrator
Fred, Thank you for reminding us about Dave Lewis and Bill Franke. I never had the opportunity to meet either gentleman or own one of their rods.

Dave was a forum member for a couple of years before he passed (username Davelrods). I miss him. Like many rod builders he had very strong opinions. The text of his posts is still here, but the links to his original website, Performanceflyrods.com are broken.

Dave was the first person to point out to me that rod epoxy can cause allergic sensitization. Apparently this bit him very hard causing him to switch to spar varnish. He built a 'finishing bench' with a pair of high volume kitchen fans to draw air across the rod and out of the building. Dave's varnish work is a joy to behold. There are more varnish photos at http://www.davelewisflyrods.com/varnish/varnish.html.

Tom

Image from http://www.davelewisflyrods.com.

Post 13 Jun 2020, 14:11 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you Fred

Post 13 Jun 2020, 15:44 • #16 
Master Guide
Dave's photo journals are still accessible:

http://www.davelewisflyrods.com/journals.html

I should add that there is a bit of fishing with fiberglass content in the latter journals.

Post 14 Jun 2020, 08:47 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
jgestar wrote:
Fred, Thank you for reminding us about Dave Lewis and Bill Franke. I never had the opportunity to meet either gentleman or own one of their rods.

Dave was a forum member for a couple of years before he passed (username Davelrods). I miss him. Like many rod builders he had very strong opinions. The text of his posts is still here, but the links to his original website, Performanceflyrods.com are broken.

Dave was the first person to point out to me that rod epoxy can cause allergic sensitization. Apparently this bit him very hard causing him to switch to spar varnish. He built a 'finishing bench' with a pair of high volume kitchen fans to draw air across the rod and out of the building. Dave's varnish work is a joy to behold. There are more varnish photos at http://www.davelewisflyrods.com/varnish/varnish.html.

Tom

Image from http://www.davelewisflyrods.com.

Thanks for this - very ingenious indeed, and not wanting of good lighting!

Post 28 Jun 2020, 09:32 • #18 
Master Guide
I used to drool over Dave’s rods on his website for many years. His epoxy, and later varnish, finishing skills were off the charts. His choice of thread color combos was excellent and the color of the ink MaryLu would use to match the tipping was impeccable.

I had the pleasure of meeting Dave at the Fly Fishing Show in Somerset, NJ. He was happy to talk rodbuilding with me for 30 minutes. A true legendary craftsman as far as I’m concerned.

New Topic Add Reply