It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:36

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 May 2020, 15:45 • #1 
Guide
I just received a nice South Bend rod that belonged to the late dad of a friend. The old gentleman was a prince of a fellow, and enjoyed fishing for trout and smallmouth, but I never got to fish with him.

The rod is a Custom model 3170, 8'6", and is marked for a HCH line (I'd say 7-weight). It's the olive green blank, with the mylar tape under the green wraps, and green reel seat. The cork has the factory thumb indentation sanded in it. It is in great overall shape, and the wraps, guides, reel seat and ferrules are fine. The cork was dirty from fishing and handling use, but it cleaned up nicely.

It casts great with a WF6F line. I have not tried it with a 7 weight, but I'm sure that is probably it's happy place. I'm looking forward to trying it out with streamers as soon as the water levels go back down from our latest round of spring deluges. I think it is probably late 60s or early 70s. Do any of you folks have a closer idea on when it was manufactured?

Thanks,
Walt

Post 23 May 2020, 18:28 • #2 
Administrator
That was a nice gift. I have a shorter and older (?) 3170 that is a very pleasant casting rod. With a DT4 line. You may like your rod more with the 6 weight than a 7 weight line.

The reverse ferrule on your rod is intriguing. I don't think I've ever seen that on a South Bend before. I'm guessing my rod is older simply because of the standard ferrule setup. But given the old style line markings, I expect both our rods were made in the late 50s to early 60s.

Tom

Post 23 May 2020, 19:16 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Some makers continued with the diameter-based letter system for fly line for a few years after AFTMA swapped to the weight based numerical system, but usually a rod marked with the letter system is 1963 or before.

Post 23 May 2020, 22:28 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I had a couple SB's in a lighter green, fun rods.
I'm thinking the darker rods, like yours, were a bit later, but don't have any facts to back that up.

I've seen the ferrules like that before, gotta rack the grey matter...

Post 24 May 2020, 08:59 • #5 
Guide
Thanks y'all. The reverse ferrules were new to me, I have never seen that before.

New Topic Add Reply