It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:19

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 May 2020, 19:23 • #1 
Hi. I just got into fishing with glass rods and purchased this rod. This site has been wonderful. On the rod I bought the male side of the ferrule is an open tube. Is this normal or did they usually have a plug of some sort in them. Thanks for any replies. I have not cast the rod yet because I don’t want to cause any damage.

Post 18 May 2020, 22:43 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Here are the ferrules on an 8', 7Wt Golden Eagle. There appears to be a plug of some sort, but if it's necessary or not I don't know.
With a strong light behind the blank the plug appears to be just a little over 1/2 an inch into the blank.

Sure one of our rod builders can give you more information.

Barry

Post 18 May 2020, 22:56 • #3 
Administrator
Venerator wrote:
Hi. I just got into fishing with glass rods and purchased this rod. This site has been wonderful. On the rod I bought the male side of the ferrule is an open tube. Is this normal or did they usually have a plug of some sort in them. Thanks for any replies. I have not cast the rod yet because I don’t want to cause any damage.

Most factory rods have a soft plug in them, similar to silicone caulk. That plug keeps water and foreign material out of the rod tube. With a blank like a Golden Eagle, the plug will not provide much support during casting. You will be fine casting wise without the plug. When you get a chance, fill the male ferrule with some silicone caulk.

Of course, store the rod in a bag and tube. The open ends make a very nice nesting cavity for some bee and wasp species...

Tom

Post 19 May 2020, 06:17 • #4 
Piscator
great place to begin - at the top.
While I sometimes count my first 9' Shakespeare WondeRod, my first high-use fly rod was an Orvis Fullflex-A.

Post 19 May 2020, 09:37 • #5 
Thanks for the pic. Mine does have a plug starting about 1/2 inch in so it seems fine. I guess I am just used to graphite rods being solid at the end. Also thanks again to everyone for all the superb information here. It helped me make a list of rods and reels to use as a starting point. The golden eagle is an example. The list includes the ff79, wondered 1290 and An eponite phillipson like the ones they produced for ll bean. With reels I’ve acquired some medalists and jw young’s to start.

Post 19 May 2020, 11:51 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
jgestar wrote:
Most factory rods have a soft plug in them, similar to silicone caulk. That plug keeps water and foreign material out of the rod tube. With a blank like a Golden Eagle, the plug will not provide much support during casting. You will be fine casting wise without the plug. When you get a chance, fill the male ferrule with some silicone caulk.

Of course, store the rod in a bag and tube. The open ends make a very nice nesting cavity for some bee and wasp species...

Tom

What Tom said.

On rods I own with an open male ferrule, I take a bit of Scotch transparent tape and spiral warp it around the ferrule to keep it clean, plus I make an additional collar of tape, allowing it to extend maybe 1/4" past the end of the ferrule to act as a collar.

I squirt "some" clear RTV (100% silicone "caulk") in the open end, (no need to fill it completely) and I allow it to cure standing up for 12 - 24 hours. When it is fully cured, I GENTLY take off the tape collar and cut off the blob of excess silicone sticking out of the end flush with a razor blade. Then I take off the rest of the tape and if there is any adhesive residue on the ferrule, a rag and a LITTLE Isopropyl alcohol will remove it.

Good luck if you go that route!

Post 19 May 2020, 17:56 • #7 
Master Guide
I have a 9 ft Golden Eagle that I got in 1976. It did have plug but it fell out early on. Still use the rod with no problems.

Post 20 May 2020, 10:02 • #8 
Guide
A great DT6 or WF7 rod. You will not be disappointed .
Carl

Post 21 May 2020, 17:52 • #9 
Guide
Beautiful rods! I have an 8wt blank done up and it’s a cannon! Have fun with it!

New Topic Add Reply