It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:34

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 May 2020, 06:50 • #1 
Guide
Hi, I was aware that there were occasionally fly rods around with the name the Colonsay and Colonsay fly and as I am a frequent visitor to this island and my GGGF was born there I had been looking. I know one of the models was produced by a Liverpool company , Foreshaw, but the one that really tweaked my interest was the Colonsay Fly that seems to have been produced in a variety of weights. I read the post from 2007 , if I recall correctly, on this forum as part of my research and was very excited to learn from the knowledgeable folk that it was Hardy blanks that these rods were built on. I am also aware of the unconfirmed report that Hardy built these to increase commerce without devaluation of their brand. I have been unable to find any other information about this . Anyway I have now taken ownership of a rather nice 8ft Colonsay fly # 6 and wanted to share and ask if anyone can add to what I already have found out. I have uploaded a couple of pics. I remember reading that someone had found the real seat a little substandard and as you will hopefully see in the pics the on on my rod is missing the butt stopper and has only one ring. It was seized when I got the rod but I have carefully released it and it will take a reel securely. Where might I source a replacement butt cap/ stopper? I am due to be in Colonsay next month for an annual fishing expedition but it looks unlikely I will get due to the pandemic but I will take the rod to its ‘ancestral home’ as soon as I can and can’t wait to get among the wild brownies!

Post 14 May 2020, 06:58 • #2 
Guide

Post 14 May 2020, 11:48 • #3 
Master Guide
Had not seen one of these rods previously. Thank you for posting. Glad you found what you have been seeking. Welcome to the board.

Post 14 May 2020, 12:35 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Good find ! As for the reel seat, you might get more focused suggestions on that by making another post in the "Rod Building and Tackle Tinkering" section with closeup pics of the seat. I think it might be most straightforward to simply replace the whole seat, but with close ups, the options would be easier to identify. A butt cap to fit would be easy to acquire or fabricate if that is all that is needed, or a short fighting butt if you wanted.

Post 14 May 2020, 14:24 • #5 
Administrator
There was an earlier forum post about Colonsay fly rods. Based on the photos in that post your reelseat does appear to be missing the thread-in butt cap. Perhaps you can contact Hardy to see if they can help with finding a replacement.

Your photos show some oxidation of the reelseat. You can carefully polish off the oxidation to restore the seat, but keep it waxed to protect the metal.

Tom

Post 14 May 2020, 17:00 • #6 
Guide
Thank you for replies and information. I had read previous thread but thanks for link - I re read it. The reel seat in question is identical to one on a Craddock glass rod I have in my collection ( Craddock rods were mentioned in the older post about this rod actually) Anyway I’ve temporarily borrowed the screw in butt plug till the new ones I’ve now ordered arrive.
Here is a clearer picture of the Colonsay Fly rod along with another rod that came in the same deal. It’s a carbon custom build by S. Jarvis and seems like an ok rod ( for a Carbon !)

Post 15 May 2020, 07:28 • #7 
Guide
Another very cool rod from the annals of fly fishing! Thanks for sharing!

Post 15 May 2020, 13:32 • #8 
Guide
Argyll Trout Fisher, Colonsays are very nicely finished. I hope you get to take it ‘home’ soon. Your story makes me think I should get a Kodiak rod, having made many trips to that great island.

Can you kindly share where you sourced the screw-in butt caps?

I’m now in Wales and need a couple for some made in Scotland Daiwa’s whose butt caps had the annoying habit of working loose and falling in the water just as I was wading deep. They now lie on river beds at the extreme opposite ends of the Americas 8)

I think U.K. rod makers used a standard thread size for a long time as I tried one from an ancient greenheart rod on the Daiwas and it is a perfect fit.

Post 15 May 2020, 17:29 • #9 
Guide
Hi Mahseer, thanks for your reply. I have ordered the screw in butt caps from this company
https://www.guidesnblanks.com/ and yes I believe there is a standard screw thread size. I also really like Daiwa tackle. Anyway god willing I will get to Colonsay soon!
Tight lines,
ATF

Post 15 May 2020, 17:47 • #10 
Guide
Thanks ATF!

Post 24 Jul 2020, 16:04 • #11 
Guide

Following on from a short while ago I have acquired another Colonsay Fly Rod based on the Hardy fibatube blank. This one is also marked as a 6 wt but is half a foot longer at 81/2. There are differences - the writing on the blank is not as well executed and the guides are all bell style with the same agate bottom stripper. The real seat and cork is also different but the blank, ferule, whipping and feel of the rod are all consistent with the other ones I have seen. It is in reasonable order but think may have been given a ‘coat’ of varnish, that is evident on the blank an whipping as both appear slightly darkened in colour. It has also probably accidentally I guess had varnish go on to the line guides. I am fascinated to know more about these rods and their origins given my links to the island of Colonsay . Any additional info beyond the informative previously posted information on this forum would be most welcome and appreciated.

Post 26 Apr 2022, 11:54 • #12 
Hi, i'm new to the forum and just like to say what a fabulous resource the platform is. Thanks to these posts I have finally learned some history/background on these beauties! Thanks

Post 28 Apr 2022, 06:35 • #13 
Piscator
Welcome to FFR - always helps us for context if you edit your profile to add location.

Post 17 May 2022, 15:51 • #14 
Guide
Hi Graylingfiddler,
Welcome! That’s a couple of lovely rods there. Is the bottom one a Spinning rod?
I stumbled across some additional info about these rods. Built by Foreshaw’s of Liverpool it appears they had a couple of manufacturing premises located in the Bootle area. It appears that some of their different models were named after the premises in which they were made. The Colonsay rods being made in their Colonsay House premises in Bootle. The building still exists and is a Seafarers Mission. They had a Palace rod also that was made in a location of the same name, The Palace Warehouse also in Bootle. I think the company was wound up in the early 80’s. I also believe that some time before this they bought over E.R. Craddock rod makers. I acquired an 8ft Craddock fly rod a couple of years ago without knowing of any connection. The rod was dirt cheap and in great condition. Built on a decent glass blank and finished with agate lined tip and stripper guides.

Post 17 May 2022, 17:48 • #15 
Thanks for the welcome ATF, and that additional info. Good research!! The bottom one is indeed a lovely 2 piece spinning rod of 8ft, which also happens to have a Craddock's of Redditch bag. I guess this might suggest there could have been a period of crossover, with some Colonsays being made in Redditch too??? If I have the original bag that is :) I'll try post some more photos tomorrow for posteriety. See if we can't build up a picture catalogue of other Colonsay models out there.

Post 18 May 2022, 17:36 • #16 
Guide
Graylingfiddler, your picture of the bag and label totally nails the connection I’d say. I have a screenshot of a Foreshaw’s catalogue from the 70’s I think. It’s not really clear enough to read properly but there are a number of Colonsay Rods listed. Since my initial posts I have added a 9ft Colonsay fly rod to my collection and it’s a nice rod to use. I have the 8 ft , 81/2 ft and the 9 ft and all are used regularly. I have another similar rod again on a Fibatube blank that could be from the same maker and am waiting on another being delivered. Will share if anything interesting.

New Topic Add Reply