It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:39

New Topic Add Reply
Hardy glass- info?
Post 27 Apr 2020, 13:36 • #1 
Sport

These are two photos from the bamboo board. The member who posted PM'ed me after I advised him to join FFR, saying that his account would not activate. I am posting these here for him; he wants info on its history. I tried to use the search function, but was not able to find anything on yellow Hardy glass; only found the Fibatube and Fibalite rods in black and brown. Any info?

[ What do you not understand about no PostImages!? ]

Sorry Tom! That was the original server they were on. I just hit "Copy Image Link" and pasted it over.

Last edited by samsonboi on 27 Apr 2020, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Hardy glass- info?
Post 27 Apr 2020, 14:33 • #2 
Account activated :P

Really looking forward for Something about this rod.

Post 27 Apr 2020, 17:37 • #3 
Administrator
The rod is from before Hardy and Fisher got together. I have seen almost no information on the pre-Fisher made Hardy rods. According to Fiberglass Fly Rods by Vic Johnson, the blank may be a Sportex from Germany. Based on the reelseat and ferrule I would guess the rod was made in the late 50s.

There was a reason Hardy switched to Fisher made rod blanks in the mid 60s. Sportex was not yet as advanced a rod builder. Now Sportex has a much better reputation. By the early 70s, the Fisher created Hardy rod factory was a legend.

Tom

Post 27 Apr 2020, 19:52 • #4 
Sport
So it's not a good rod then, or is it just not AS good?

Post 27 Apr 2020, 20:28 • #5 
Administrator
I've never touched a Sportex based Hardy rod, so I don't personally know how good or bad they are. There is little to no knowledge of them in the US. I also don't know the details of the Hardy - Sportex contracts. Hardy may have been looking for a new supplier anyway.

Hardy thought the Fisher blanks were good enough that they initially had them air freighted from the US. Then they paid Fisher to design, build, test, and ship an assembly line to Britain. Fisher used flexible spigot ferruled blanks, which were an innovation compared to conventional metal ferruled blanks. So Fisher was ahead of Sportex on the technology side of things.

Tom

Post 27 Apr 2020, 21:34 • #6 
Thanks alot! Just bought them and kinda fell In love with that rod. Surely its 'cause its fiberglass that makes it Feel different for me.

Post 28 Apr 2020, 09:23 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Crookkis. You can judge the quality and condition of the hardware just as you would for a bamboo rod, understanding that, especially at this time, 'glass was a less costly alternative to bamboo. It's not going to have the highest grade reel seat, for example, but it will hold the reel just as well. Same for the ferrules. I don't see the length but would guess it is 7 1/2' or 8' for a midweight line. Don't know if the number 6 represents Hardy's own model designation or if they were relatively early to implement the U.S. initiated AFTMA numerical line weight codes. I'm hoping one of our European members or at least somebody with a stack of Hardy catalogs can find more info, and you could tell us the length, action-type, and, at least based on feel, approximate lineweight.
rods
Not surprised you are enjoying it. I'll venture a guess that, like many midlength-and-weight fiberglass rods of the late 1950s and throughout the 1960s, it is very serviceable, with a moderate action and self-loading feel, comfortable to cast if the rod is allowed to do the work. In the fiberglass wheelhouse around 7 1/2 to 8,' there were many "good" rods, distinguished more by fittings than basic performance. In a sense, it was easy to make a "good" one, and hard to make a bad one unless the fittings were really cheaped out, which isn't the case with the Hardy. Of course it was hard to make a "great" one, which is why Hardy went to the Fisher benchmark jgestar described.

Hope to learn more about Sportex.

Post 28 Apr 2020, 11:11 • #8 
Sport
By the color and the coarse glass material this could be a Sportex blank.
I do have a customized rod with this kind of blank. It is 2,4m long, class 5/6 writen on it, but more a 4/5. Not sure, if sportex.
Very interessting on this rod: It is made like a modern rod - tip over butt section, like the brown Fenwick rods.
The old Norris and DAM glass rods are usely a bit darker in color, more reddish-brown and have the same coarse structure of the material. But I do have also Norris glass rods for spinning/bottom fishing with a simular color.
But these rods used to change there color by the time, sunlight, and became lighter.
This is well vissible, when I rebuild those rods. Under the windings the blank was much darker.
My "probably" sportex rod has a deep flexing but without a lot of wobbeling, the tip rests pretty fast.
A later sportex glass rod of the 70s, red blank, modern glass material, a "Fly Star 5, FL2601", is awful to cast compared to the older modell.
Dont want to write to much about sportex, as this is not the question of this post.

I just learnd, that Hardy used blanks of other companys, didnt know that before.

Post 28 Apr 2020, 12:33 • #9 
Yes it Is 8" and it Feels like #4/5.

Someone sold this on "finnish ebay" and i couldnt resist To buy it. There were also ogden smith, harnell and two Wonder rods. Not on the Best shape but still. At least this Hardy Is In good shape.

Is there any value on this?

Im really grateful for all of the comments.

Post 28 Apr 2020, 18:57 • #10 
Administrator
Crookkis wrote:
Yes it Is 8" and it Feels like #4/5.

For people that grew up fishing with graphite rods, glass often feels 'lighter' or more flexible. An 8 foot rod from the late 50s is probably a 6/7 weight, not a #4/5. Try it with several different line weights and see which is best.
Crookkis wrote:
Someone sold this on "finnish ebay" and i couldn't resist To buy it. Is there any value on this?

Whatever you paid is the value of the rod. Does this rod have 'additional' value to collectors? Not that I am aware of.

Tom

Post 28 Apr 2020, 19:04 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
The value may well end up as the money you paid for it. Personally, I've not seen a Hardy rod with the "hand on rod" logo... but then, I'm a bit of a piker maybe. Certainly not a bad rod, cast it, and see what you think of it. If you like it, keep it.

Post 29 Apr 2020, 00:34 • #12 
Thanks! I just started fly fishing a year ago after my soccer-career ended. I think that im not the Best To judge how good this Is etc. Maybe i put it on storage for 5 More years and see what happens.

Sorry for my short replies. Im from Finland and its not that easy To write in english.

Post 29 Apr 2020, 02:25 • #13 
Sport
I just browsed through my older Hardy and Sportex katalogs.
My 1960 Hardy doesn´t show any glass rod. In the 1963 they offered 1 Modell in painted mint green. My next katalog is from 1973, it shows the well knon brown fibalite rods.
The Sportex katalog from 1954 shows 10 glass fly rods, but they start at 2,55m (8,37 ´). But this does not mean, that they might not have produced different blanks for other companies.
My next Sportex katalog is from 1976, the fly rods then are of total different material.

The above shown rod is strange for me. I do have older Hardy split cane and greenhart rods, that all shows "Hardy" markings on the metal parts at the butt.
This rod here looks like a home made rod for me, even so the "hand on rod" logo looks "original", proffesional. I do know the "hand on rod" so far only from their reels.

By the way, a few jears ago, there were fake chinese made "Hardy" Bamboo rods on the market, with strange writings on it, so anyone with some knowledge could recognise them as fake.
Ok, I can´t imagine, that chinese would fake "old" glass rods, but who knows?

Post 29 Apr 2020, 02:42 • #14 
Above the logo Is a text on Red font that says "regd trade mark" and text below the logo i cant see Else but theres words hardy and glas..

Post 29 Apr 2020, 14:43 • #15 
Sport
I found a simular looking Hardy spinningrod, about the same blank color and also black writing.

https://www.thomasturner.com/shop/rare- ... -with-bag/

Post 24 May 2020, 09:23 • #16 
Sport
I just received my Hardy Anglers Guide 1965.
Here, Hardy offered a cheaper range of rods, made of split bamboo or glass.

The material of the bamboo they called "Neocane" - compared to their usually "Holokona" bamboo.

They offered one range off glassrods made of "Neoglass", (their better range material they called "Glaskona") : the "Ben Hope". It came in 2 length, 8´ and 8´9´´, both in class 6.
The pictures in the catalogue are only black and white paintings, no colours to see. But they show probably black writings.
The pictured rod shows 8+1 Ring, but you don´t know if this is the shorter or the longer version.
The shorter rod weights 4 oz/ 115gr, the longer one 4 3/4 oz / 135gr.

Reinhard

Post 26 May 2020, 01:35 • #17 
Thanks a lot! This Is 8'.

So at least this Is a rod that wont come To hands too often. Maybe i need To get those couple of rings To get fixed To get rust Off...

Post 26 May 2020, 06:07 • #18 
Guide
This looks to me like a Glaskona or Neo-Glas rod, and so blank. With the “hand on rod” logo, probably the former. These were marketed for a couple of years each in the early- and mid-1960s respectively, so are of interest in historical terms, with Hardy looking to get into the glass market to expand their market position.

I have got the Neo-Glas Ben More spinning rod with an identical-looking blank. It is no lightweight, being an 8 1/2 ft rod for spinning for salmon and pike; casts from 3/4oz to probably 2oz, so a bit heavy for most Rapalas. But a genuinely nice rod to fish, and bomb-proof.

I would make three comments about these early Hardy glass rods:

1) the “Neo-” and “Glas” pre-fixes (Glaskona, Neo-Glas, Neo-Cane) were IMHO Hardy’s euphemisms for lower-priced, entry models. You can see that on the fittings and finish compared to cane rods of the same vantage. Luckily they realised that this was a dead end in marketing terms!

2) the difference between the Neo-Glas and Fibalite JET blanks and rods is night and day. I also have the 7ft 5/6lb Fibalite spinning rod: Hardy really raised/restored their game with the move to Fisher blanks, and the standard of cork, fittings and finish were massively improved.

3) I would be really surprised if it was not “true to weight”, and so a 6-weight. But remember that, certainly in the UK, rods were always specified for a double taper (floating) line; if there was any sort of dual rating (even implied), it would be DT-6F/WF-7F. But, in those days (and into the 1970s, when I hung around Hardy’s Pall Mall shop a bit as a kid!), anything below a 6-weight would have been considered unusually light, and exceptionally difficult to obtain a line for.

Enjoy fishing your rod, and let us know how you get on with it.

Post 20 Oct 2020, 17:32 • #19 
Guide

Here is a Sportex rod from the 60’s as far as I know.

New Topic Add Reply