It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:43

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Mar 2020, 09:02 • #1 
Hi everyone I’m new here. I’ve never been in one of these forums so please be patient with me. Name is Russ. I have a new old rod that was given to me from a friend. The rod a Garcia Conolon four star squared cork 7’. I cleaned it up just like new. The line weight says HCH or HCF which tells me it’s a 7 weight but was wondering if 6 weight might work better. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time

Post 29 Mar 2020, 09:07 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Russ
You can always try WF6 or 6.5, but the 7WT line will load it deeper, and depending upon your taste in how you like a rod to flex trying a 7.5WT line might work well too.

Experiment and tell us what you think.
BTW does the Conolon have a metal spigot ferrule?

Les

Post 29 Mar 2020, 09:21 • #3 
Thanks Les for the info. Yes it does have a stainless spigot. I’ve tried a WF7 and it seems to load it maybe to much. I realize that this rod is a fast action rod as well.

Pic of barn find

Post 29 Mar 2020, 11:10 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I have the 8ft version of that rod and love it, one of my favs. Did it come with that Medalist?? Score.

6 or 7 weight, whatever turns your key.

Post 29 Mar 2020, 12:45 • #5 
Hi thanks, the Medalist I bought on eBay. I restored it. It’s the second Medalist i restored. Seems to pair up good with the rod for balance and time period correct.

Post 29 Mar 2020, 14:06 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Nice find; nice reel match.

I'm sure that rod, like many of its type, will work well with either weight, and I'm not sure which might be better. Nevertheless, one point to think of: if your feel has been developed on graphite rods, a 'glass rod, especially of that vintage, may feel "loaded too much." Relax and let the rod do the work, using a progressive application of power; don't rush the rod. You will enjoy it more with whichever line you prefer, but give the 7 another try if not previously familiar with the feel of a 'glass rod as it loads.

Post 29 Mar 2020, 14:48 • #7 
Thanks for advice Wrlpool, the truth is I started on fiber rods at the age of 12 in 1972. My first rod and I still fish it is a South Bend Classic III. That’s what I like about fiber rods. I only have one graphite but don’t use it :) Here’s a pic of a oldie but goodie

Post 29 Mar 2020, 15:02 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
The best line weight for Conolons is all over the place. I have two very similar rods, a gold one which is a solid 7/8, and a brown 4 star with the same spigot and grip which claims to be a #7, but is definitely better with a 6wt. The rod will let you know, just ignore anything written on it or advice from anyone with "the same rod". They are seldom the same.

Post 29 Mar 2020, 18:08 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Nice South Bend. Nicely kept. Purchased with the reel as a matched outfit? The rod might even give a clue in another current discussion aimed at identifying a rod.

Post 29 Mar 2020, 19:33 • #10 
Piscator
If your planned use is to fish in close to take advantage of the short length, I'd fish a 6-wt or even 5-.
If you want to cast to the length of its capability, only the 7-wt will get there.
And agree with the great-looking combos.

Post 29 Mar 2020, 21:02 • #11 
Thanks wrlpool, its my favorite rod. Xmas gift when I was a kid. 8’ 6wt. It’s really good to talk to you guys about these old rods and how much we like collecting and fishing them

Thanks Bulldog1935 for the info. Think you’re right. That sounds about right.

New Topic Add Reply