It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:55

New Topic Add Reply
Phillipson Question
Post 19 Mar 2020, 23:28 • #1 
Master Guide
Can anyone provide the listed weight of a Royal Wand RWF70?
That would be the 7’ model with the fiberglass ferrule built on a Scotchply blank.
Thank you in advance.

Re: Phillipson Question
Post 20 Mar 2020, 06:53 • #2 
Piscator
Don't have one to look but it's probably listed as 2-1/2 oz, same as this matching LL Bean

Note I have an RWF66 and Fly Fox FF66, both marked as the same 2-3/8 oz. However, the Royal Wand is both notably lighter and more crisp.
Logic is Bill Phillipson hand sorted his blanks to grade for model.

Post 20 Mar 2020, 07:06 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Another good example/reminder: listed/marked fly rod lengths are nominal and only an approximate indication of how a rod will feel or "balance." They tell a little bit, but in isolation from other characteristics, weight distribution being just one.

Post 22 Mar 2020, 14:30 • #4 
Master Guide
Thank you both for the responses. The rod that prompted the question, a 7’ Orvis Fullflex, is clearly Phillipson; glass-ferruled with the signature “wedding ring.” In the weeks since I picked this one up, I’ve pored over old posts here, trying to work out where this rod fits into the Phillipson lineage. Originally assuming it was a Royal Wand in Orvis trim, I’m now less sure of that.
Certainly Orvis was a big enough customer that they might’ve had their own custom tapers.
Regardless — it’s a sweetheart of a rod, to be sure. If anyone has any insight as to the vintage, heredity, performance, etc. of this model, I’d be thrilled if you shared.

Post 22 Mar 2020, 15:53 • #5 
Administrator
Don't forget the Glass Wiki. It's out of date for new rods, but some of the classic rod pages are still very good. The Orvis page particularly - thank you Gaddis!

The listing for your rod indicates it showed up in the 1969-1974 catalogs. So the idea it was made on a Royal Wand blank is sound. The Golden Eagle Orvis rods were supposedly made on Epoxite blanks. Of course, without copies of the Phillipson or Orvis production records we can't be absolutely sure how many rods were made on what blanks.

I have a couple of the metal ferruled Orvis Fullflex rods and I like them. But on one the cork grip came unglued from the blank. Give your rod a good exam. Then take it out and fish the guides off it. I think you will like it.

Tom

Post 22 Mar 2020, 18:00 • #6 
Sport
Since Rick’s Rods in Denver, CO. currently owns the Phillipson company and what remains of the original stock, give Rick or his partner Marilynn a call. Just google Rick’s Rods.

Post 22 Mar 2020, 18:03 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I have a 7' fly fox that is very similar,even the wraps.My favorite all around rod.

Post 22 Mar 2020, 18:47 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I have it in both the metal ferruled predecessor and the later glass ferrule. I also have the Royal Wand. I have never taken the time to do a measurement of their actions against one another. Never felt the need since all are very nice rods. The metal ferruled version spent two full seasons in the car at the ready for impromptu outings either on the way home or while on lunch from work. All three fantastic roll casters. Definitely a different feel from the Masters which are a bit crisper.

Post 24 Mar 2020, 20:35 • #9 
Master Guide
Thanks all for the input. I just spoke to Rick and Marilyn at Rick’s Rods, and they were very helpful and gracious as usual.
Rick said that the yellow Orvis Fullflex rods were built on the “same damned blank” as the Phillipson Royal Wands of the same era. The heavier weight (3 1/8oz) listed on the the Orvis model is most likely due to the more substantial reel seat hardware; walnut spacer et al. That jibes with what’s observable on my Fullflex. Even the cork seems denser than on the Phillipson Royals and Royal Wands I’ve held.
Tom - I inspected this rod thoroughly and it’s sound as a pound. Previous owners may have given the wraps a touch of spar at intervals, which has preserved things subtly but effectively.
I’m going to fish it to the stars.
Thanks to Gaddis for the great wiki resource.

Post 28 Oct 2023, 19:49 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I weighed this example out to 2.3 (64 grams)
The C at the end - may stand for Cork handle rod
would be a different weight if 7fter factory made with seat

New Topic Add Reply