It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:49

New Topic Add Reply
What did I just buy?
Post 04 Mar 2020, 12:52 • #1 
Guide
I just received a rod that is intriguing me more than I expected it to. It's 8-1/2 feet, 2 piece, and says in very faint writing at the bottom of the now-gone label "30 8 1/2 C or D" but it could also be 80 instead of 30 if a little wear is there (and that's fully possible). I hope you can make it out. I can do some photo tweaking under better lighting if necessary but this will have to do for now. Thoughts on what rod this is? It feels like it will have a moderate to slow load under a modern 7 or 8 line. Maybe a quicker but heavy 6.

Re: What did I just buy?
Post 04 Mar 2020, 13:53 • #2 
Guide
The reel seat and grip, and winding check look Heddon-ish. Not so sure about the rest of the rod, though.

Post 04 Mar 2020, 14:43 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
My first glance said Heddon too, but then I got to thinking (I should avoid this) and it looks like a Mohawk, now if I could remember who made the Mohawk....HI?? might look through my rods tonight

Post 04 Mar 2020, 15:06 • #4 
Piscator
no question about Heddon, the fabric tape wraps, too.
I would say it's a Pal standard grade.
The C or D line rating is 7 or 6.

This is a Heddon Pal 30, 7-1/2' T taper, superprogressive tip, fast mid.

Post 04 Mar 2020, 15:29 • #5 
Guide
Excellent!! Now I know what I have. Part 2 of all this, it's missing a couple guides in the middle of the tip section; any thoughts on what to wrap/ re-wrap the guides with?

Post 04 Mar 2020, 16:36 • #6 
Administrator
toothybugs wrote:
Excellent!! Now I know what I have. Part 2 of all this, it's missing a couple guides in the middle of the tip section; any thoughts on what to wrap/ re-wrap the guides with?

The half Wells grip is unusual on these Heddon Pal rods.

First, evaluate the ferrule. Clean it well with Qtips and solvent. Keep cleaning until no more grime or dirt comes out of the ferrule. Check the fit. These rods had aluminum ferrules. When they fit up well, they work well. If the fit is sloppy and loose, you will have to replace the ferrule. If the fit is slightly loose, you can use paraffin wax to tighten it. Keep a piece of paraffin in with your fishing gear for onstream touch ups. You may be able to fish the rod for years this way.

Next, the wraps. I have not seen a spool of banded thread with that color combination. Even if you found a spool, the wraps on your rod have aged for 65 years. You won't get a color match. You can tint your color preservative or varnish. But an exact match of the old wraps will be, um, difficult.

I would replace all the wraps with new. These wraps get brittle with age. A hard bump will fracture them. If you replace two now, you will be replacing another shortly. I have one of these rods on this spring's 'to do list'. I will replace all the guides and wraps (my ferrule is in good shape).

If you must have that same wrap pattern start with the light tan thread. Use a brown Sharpie or Pantone marker to add darker brown bands to the thread, a couple of inches long. You will have to experiment to get the variegation pattern that you want. It could possibly be done with separate tan and brown threads, but it will be a stressful job.

Tom

Post 04 Mar 2020, 16:39 • #7 
Glass Fanatic

Above are pictures of a HI Mohawk

Post 04 Mar 2020, 17:06 • #8 
Guide
jgestar wrote:
The half Wells grip is unusual on these Heddon Pal rods.

But very common on Heddon cane rods.

Post 04 Mar 2020, 17:53 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I have two old Heddons with that grip.

Post 05 Mar 2020, 07:36 • #10 
Guide
I figured I would need to do a total re-wrap. That's fine, I'd much prefer to have all the wraps match as closely as possible. And the ferrule's great - it pops better than most of my cane rods! But yes, you are correct in that the wraps will be an interesting challenge. I'll do some homework and post shots when the refurb is done.

Post 05 Mar 2020, 11:17 • #11 
Master Guide
The thread to rewrap this rod is probably still available. I would just search the usual sources.

Post 05 Mar 2020, 11:43 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Even if you can't match the original thread--personally, I don't see any reason to--you can refinish that rod with new components and a better level of finish than originally. At the very least, all new guides.

New Topic Add Reply