It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:50

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Feb 2020, 15:35 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I haven’t used graphite rods much since the glass bug bit. They have their good features, but I find their fast, tip flex action to lack the fun feel of a glass rod, both for casting and playing a fish

One thing they are is light. Too often, however, the weight advantage is negated by length and the swing weight is no better or worse than the glass counterpart. A glass rod at 7-8 feet offers a nice flex and some self-loading for close in casts which few graphite rods offer.

Recently, I worked casting into my therapy from elbow replacement surgery. I wanted to start with the lightest rod I could find, and looked for a short graphite rod. I found one, a Proberos 7 ft. 3/4 wt direct from China for $27, free shipping. "What the heck, it’s worth it just to see what on earth they send".

The rod came in a couple of weeks, in a sock, wrapped in bubble wrap, no tube, miraculously intact. Decent wraps and guides, good cork and a big ugly solid all metal reel seat. I expected it would actually require a 5-6 wt line, but a first wiggle it had a nice soft deep flex, and really low swing weight. Butt heavy with that reel seat, but it had the light tip I wanted, and worked fine with a 3 wt line. The more I cast it, the more I liked it. No harsh impact like my stiff, fast graphite rods, just smooth, flexy casting. I figured it could stay. At 22” (four piece) it would become a rod to put in my backpack when Tenkara fishing, or taking on the paddleboard, where a short cheap rod is just the ticket.
I liked it enough to check out the 5-6 wt rod. Another $26, this one came intact in a cardboard box. It not only had the same nice flex, more of a 5 wt than a 6 wt, amazingly, it had the same diameter blank as the 3-4 wt rod! I can mix and match to make a 4 wt rod which is more tip flex or deep flex. While I was on a roll, I picked up the 7-8 wt. By then they were up to $39.99 on ebay, and $65 on Amazon. It is has a fatter blank, but is certainly no 8 wt, seems be a 6-7 wt and It will go on the paddleboard for the bass lakes .

As my elbow got stronger, I started casting bigger rods, and two weeks before I was schedule to leave for Argentina, was casting 9’ six weight rods pretty well. I wasn’t sure how I’d hold up casting all day though, so when I packed, I tossed those light compact Proberos rods in my carry-on bag.

I used then a fair bit down there. One day I was resting up the arm for a long day on a raft, and used the 3-4 wt rod on a smaller, willow choked stream. The short rod and easy loading was great for working flies under the branches. Another day I was fishing a small stream with the Tenkara rod and dry flies. After lunch I switched to the 3-4 wt for a change of pace and arm rest. The rod was fine, but when we found some big plunge pools below some falls, it really paid off. In my pack was able to put the Tenkara rod, the Proberos 3-4 rod, and the top three sections of the 5-6 rod. I put it together as a 5-6 and cast a Possie bugger into the pool. That worked rather well:

I thought about posting this in the "graphite rods with glass soul" or "rods for the the back of the truck" threads. What can I say, they are cheap, they are not stiff clubs, they work. I saw a few back on ebay for $27. Hard to go wrong.

Post 27 Feb 2020, 16:29 • #2 
Sport
Great find. There are *so many* very good inexpensive rods out there in this day and age....catch being that without recommendations such as this.,... you spend quite a bit overall trying find them. Appreciate this feedback.

Post 27 Feb 2020, 18:26 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Looks a heck of a lot like my 7ft 3/4wt Eagle Claw Granger XG IM7 graphite rod that I bought 15 years ago for about $35. it's a wonderful caster. I should have bought a second one when I had the chance.

Post 27 Feb 2020, 18:40 • #4 
Guide
Overall Maxcatch rods are great also . I have a 10' 2wt a 6'6" 2 wt a 10' 3wt and a few others . All good rods . I build on Aventik blanks and they are great also . Just MHO .

Post 27 Feb 2020, 20:48 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah, I like the Aventik glass rods:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60848

Post 27 Feb 2020, 23:34 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Nice find!

Post 28 Feb 2020, 10:43 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Newfydog,
Despite the fact that I own a lot of very nice glass rods, I am always a sucker for a cheap rod. After you mentioned that rod in your Patagonia Unsupervised thread, I just had to look that rod up. I found one on Ali Express for $21.11 and ordered it. It did take them two weeks to process the order, but finally shipped it yesterday. Probably be another couple of weeks before it arrives. Will probably take it to the Texas clave in April along with a bunch of glass rods.

Larry

Post 28 Feb 2020, 15:40 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Good job Canoeman! It will be interesting to see what you and others think of it. I think it is a rod a lot of graphite lovers would be disappointed in, but the glass crowd will appreciate.

A friend recently claimed you should assume a decent rod to be near $1000. Hmmm...., seems you can catch plenty of fish without spending that...

One encouraging note, I've found cheap graphite rods frequently snap like a twig. I've put these through some pretty good paces without that happening.

Featherlight----good to see you chime in. My "short cheap rod on the paddleboard" has been my 6'6" 3/4 Featherlight, with a 5 wt line. These will have to compete for that spot.

Post 21 Mar 2020, 11:02 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
So, an interesting follow-up. I really like the action of the 7' 3/4 wt rod. I saw they also have a 9' 3/4 wt., also about $30. Ordered that one, and it actually came in a cardboard tube.

Stiff, pretty heavy, no way in hell is it a 3/4 wt. In short, it is everything I expected the 7' rod to be only to be was shocked and pleased by how nice it was.

I went to cast it, starting with a 6 wt line. Seemed a little underlined! Maybe I'm spoiled after a day of casting my Steffen 3/4. Just for a control, I put the 6wt line on my Winston graphite rod and it felt great. I then put on a Sci. Ang. 7/8wt bass taper line, because I thought the only place for this beast would be bass fishing from the paddleboard, where sooner or later I'll lose or break the rod. It cast that line pretty well. It might have been a bit heavy when I had 70 feet of line out. My all time over-lining record.

New Topic Add Reply