It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:44

New Topic Add Reply
Lamiglas S Question
Post 14 Feb 2020, 21:39 • #1 
Hello, new here and looking for information on the Lamiglas S products.

Back in 1977 or 1978, I picked up a fly rod blank from the old Steckler and Tibor fly fishing shop in nearby Stoneboro, PA. A fellow I worked with at the time built the rod for me and my memory (plus notes made at the time) indicate it a standard production run 7 1/2 foot 5 weight.

However, I always wondered why the rod blank has no markings whatsoever as to manufacturer, length or recommended fly line weight?

Was this common with their products?

Re: Lamiglas S Question
Post 14 Feb 2020, 22:27 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Common with several makers of the time. I think Lami was one of them; there were other lami models that came unlabled, but not sure about the S-glass. Realize that the builder may have removed a decal or label or placed a component or wraps so as to cover it.

Post 15 Feb 2020, 12:36 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I bought many Lami blanks back in the day, (70's) and they all came labeled. Some of the fine print like model # was easily removed, but the"Lamiglas" was on pretty good.

Pictures of rod would help. If not labeled, what makes you think it is a S glass?? Time frame is about right.

Post 15 Feb 2020, 16:34 • #4 
Appreciate the responses to date.

My practice at the time was to build a homemade rod tube (if not supplied) and mark it with the blank info, builder and where purchased. Therefore I'm pretty sure it was sold to me as a Lamiglas S and although it's been too many years - don't ever recall markings on the blank.

Although the buy date wasn't recorded, I only worked with gentleman who put it together for me during 1977 -1978, but there's the chance it was older store inventory.

Just tried to add a couple photos to the thread using my phone, but after 15 minutes can't seem to get it done and need more time to sort that out. The glass color is a chocolate brown, just a shade lighter than a Fenwick FF756 I have from the early 1970s.

Should photos help, I can email or text some if sent contact info via PM.

Thanks

Post 15 Feb 2020, 16:42 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Lamiglas “S-Glass” models were transluscent orange.

The “chocolate brown” blanks from that era were “LTD” models. They might also be made from s-glass, but Im not sure

Post 15 Feb 2020, 23:43 • #6 
My description may be a little off when saying a chocolate brown, being a shade lighter than a Fenwick. Does have an orange hue in brighter light.

Would really like to confirm it's an S glass and now that I think I've figured out attachments, hope these help. Are they a collectible?

Post 16 Feb 2020, 02:08 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Curious George wrote:
My description may be a little off when saying a chocolate brown, being a shade lighter than a Fenwick. Does have an orange hue in brighter light.

Would really like to confirm it's an S glass and now that I think I've figured out attachments, hope these help. Are they a collectible?

Yeah, those look like Lami S-glass to me. I’ve built several - all have been labeled, but the colours and spigots are the same.

Post 16 Feb 2020, 05:18 • #8 
Administrator
Mid 70s is about when the Lamiglas S–glass rods came to market. The blank and ferrule look right. I've seen a few of these blanks without labels, but they were produced much later. Maybe the builder didn't like the label?

Tom

Post 16 Feb 2020, 08:35 • #9 
Thanks to all for the information.

Although passing years often fade the memory, my belief is the blank had no markings. This because I initially purchased it for the builder and imagine I wouldn't have felt the need to record information on the tube that was already embossed on the rod.

Guess it'll be another of those "mysteries" that accompany me as the years progress.

Post 16 Feb 2020, 13:49 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I agree, it looks like a Sglass Lami. Bet it's a sweet little rod. Thanks for getting the pictures up!

"are they collectable?" Well, yes and no, they are a desired rod for sure, not tons of em made, wonderful fishing tools, and I am sure somebody collects them. But not really "collectable" like some old classics.

The LTD series was not Sglass as far as I know. My dad built a bunch of LTD rods, was his favorite blank to work with, I have a couple of LTD 7wts that are wonderful rods.

Post 17 Feb 2020, 09:33 • #11 
Guide
That 71/2' 5wt Lamiglas S is a very nice casting/fishing rod.
Carl

New Topic Add Reply