It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:41

New Topic Add Reply
Post 30 Jan 2020, 23:08 • #1 
First off - is this rod so valuable I should not be fishing with it(see pictures)? The patent pending and no serial numbers or logo makes me wonder if this is an early rod for the company.

So on to how this all began - I am 51 and have been fishing all my life but never picked up a fly rod. Just the other day I could not pass up on this Fenwick at our local Goodwill and it looks like I am about to expand my fishing horizons. I have little knowledge of fly fishing and I am starting this journey with just this rod so far. I will be lake fishing mostly from my kayak(19 local lakes) and I also plan to work into streams eventually(little knowledge) but I know this is going to take time as well as some error...... this is where you come in I hope.
I would like to get a good vintage reel that is new enough to give me an advantage over old equipment but not so new it is not still vintage. I know the "#8DT" double taper line is what's called out on the rod but other than that I'm clueless to what size reel or what flies to use. An 8 1/2' 3 3/4oz means nothing to me yet but most of all if this antique should be shelved and looked at I will stop right here and not look for a reel etc to go with it.

Really any help at all is very appreciated:
1) rod value
2) good reel choice
3) what species and flies or other equipment will be best w/ this rod? (trout and bass preferred)
4) where would you suggest I look for more information regarding my needs?

Last edited by New2VintageFishing on 31 Jan 2020, 00:33, edited 2 times in total.

Post 30 Jan 2020, 23:57 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
The best place for more info is this forum's search function that can be found at the top of the forum pages, all of them.

Welcome, stick around and do some homework with our Search tool.

Post 31 Jan 2020, 08:26 • #3 
Master Guide
1) rod value = check eBay for current prices for FF85 but more importantly, what they have sold for
2) good reel choice = the vintage Pflueger Medalist 1495 tops my list
3) what species and flies or other equipment will be best w/ this rod? (trout and bass preferred) = fishing for bass and large trout; also inshore saltwater fishing. The rod works great with larger flies, including streamers such as woolly buggers and clousers, and with bass poppers, gurglers, and the like.
4) where would you suggest I look for more information regarding my needs? Do a search on this forum

The rod is best to be used, so enjoy it!!

Post 31 Jan 2020, 08:28 • #4 
Piscator
Fish it.

Post 31 Jan 2020, 08:36 • #5 
Thanks so much Standman - I needed enough information to get started or not and it was very helpful. If this rod was better looked at than used I needed to know before more time and money were invested. Thanks again

Post 31 Jan 2020, 09:26 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Fenwick
The reel seat "Featherweight" was a supplier to hobbyist and OEM, so that doesn't say much about the rod. The PatPend would refer to the tip over butt glass to glass ferrules "Feralite" is my guess. Lack of serial number doesn't mean a lot either, they supposedly started with A in 1960 and didn't build any FF series ti '63 but a past discussion was about a Feralite with an "A" number- I have an FF80 that was made later than the patent approval and it bears no serial number.
Your rod is likely an early run of what became about a zillion FF85s perhaps 1962 vintage, but the value is in the fishing.

Post 31 Jan 2020, 11:45 • #7 
Master Guide
You've received good advice...

Its a very early Feralite...does it have someone's name on it? Can't make out the script in one of the photos...the first Feralite rods did not have serial numbers...

Fish it, and, look at it...it should throw big bugs well, and, it's pretty...

Sandman

Post 31 Jan 2020, 12:11 • #8 
Administrator
Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders!

You have an early factory Fenwick Feralite rod. The lettering, the grip, the diamond braid, and the Featherlight reelseat are all indicative. A photo of the rod ferrules would indicate more.

1. Rod value – it is most valuable as a fishing rod. You aren't risking a museum piece.
  2. A Medalist is always a good choice. Much depends on what line you use and what fish you are chasing.
  3. This rod is probably best with a 7/8 weight line. That is a good size for bass bug fishing and streamers.
  4. The first place to go is so your local fly shop to discuss what flies are good in your area. Figure out what lure you are using (the flies), then what line you need to get those flies to the fish. The rod and reel are picked to go with the line. In this case you have the rod already.

Tom

New2VintageFishing wrote:
1) rod value
2) good reel choice
3) what species and flies or other equipment will be best w/ this rod? (trout and bass preferred)
4) where would you suggest I look for more information regarding my needs?

Post 31 Jan 2020, 20:52 • #9 
Thanks to all for the valuable feedback. You guys made it easier to justify a new tacklebox, reel, yadda yadda yadda - YEAH!! thanks a lot hahaha. At least with all my new friends I can gear up very well.

Post 01 Feb 2020, 20:51 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Those early ones are IMHO the purtiest Fenwicks. Enjoy, and post lots of pictures...\

Oh, and a 1495 would be what that would have been fished with back in the day.

Post 28 Feb 2020, 21:15 • #11 
Ok now you got me considsring yet another addition hahaha. I have two Mohawk 8A automatics and a Mitchell 710 that looks almost new.

Post 05 Mar 2020, 18:32 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
Fish it.

Yep. There are a few of those early ones around. Several here on the board of various Fenwick models. Fish it with an old Pflueger amidst the graphite crowd...they will stare.

Post 05 Mar 2020, 19:05 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
A local junque store had a Shakespeare 8fter, nice rod, tip over butt, brown translucent glass, I picked it up and was looking at it, she said a local guide was just in and said it was nothing worth fishing, just a wall hanging piece of junk.

I got it for $2. I need to find that guy and thank him.

Post 05 Mar 2020, 19:17 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Well done. Vintage stuff is where you find it, that's for sure. There was one of those brown Shakespeares hanging in the barn where we kept a horse and pony, and it felt like a good piece to me. It was missing a couple guides and I never did get around to fixing it up and trying it. Would enjoy hearing more about it in a separate thread. Meanwhile, to borrow and put a twist on one of Maj's traditional tongue in cheek remarks, if you pay the postage on that old junker and send it to me, I'll give a dollar for it.

Post 06 Mar 2020, 09:55 • #15 
Master Guide
I agree with Bulldog. Fish it.
I would imagine the upper end for that Rod would be $175-225

New Topic Add Reply