It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:39

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Dec 2019, 07:57 • #1 
I am very new to fly fishing, and in my search for info on my grandfathers old rod, I noticed a real following for the old fiberglass poles. How do these vintage rods compare to their modern graphite counterparts?

Post 05 Dec 2019, 08:13 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Vintage fiberglass to current graphite? Night and day. Most new graphite rods are lighter, faster action, break easier, and much more expensive. It would be better to compare vintage glass to current glass.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 08:45 • #3 
Piscator
In 6' to 8' rods, glass out-performs graphite in every way.
Rather than night and day, consider them apples and oranges with different uses.
It's no accident the norm venerable glass rods were 7'6", while the norm graphite rods are 9' - it works out in the math.
You wouldn't want a 7' graphite rod any more than you would want a 9' glass rod.

The only way they can sell durable goods to people who already have them is to convince them newer is better - we have all been programed with this all our lives.

And since this also fits, one of the great success stories of this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65357

Post 05 Dec 2019, 08:49 • #4 
Guide
There are great glass rods and crappy glass rods, and there is great graphite and crappy graphite. Same with bamboo and every other material used.
Cost when new is often a good indicator of quality, but not of its castability for you.
Go to fly fishing shows in your area. They usually have casting ponds set up and tons of rods to try in every material.
I could tell you what my favorite go-to rods are, and you might buy one based on my glowing recommendation and absolutely love it or hate it.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 08:57 • #5 
Piscator
Casting is over-rated and costs more people more fish than any other activity.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 09:19 • #6 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:

Afirmative, Harry Wilson of Scott Rods used to say that a good rod needs to do 3 things well, fight the fish, fish the fly, and (lastly) cast the line (& fly).

Post 05 Dec 2019, 09:53 • #7 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:

This is the reason I miss having a "like" button on this forum.

True on several levels.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 11:03 • #8 
Piscator
I love Gary Borger's song and dance about stealth. Begins with fish psychologist types evaluating fish IQ (trout = 6, carp = 12 - if fish are outsmarting you, you have a problem).
Big fish aren't smart, big fish are cowards. Brave and inquisitive fish become fodder, and never contribute to the gene pool.

My girls learned first to catch fish.
Then I taught them how to roll-cast - the only thing I taught them.
After watching me back-cast to reach farther out, they tried it on their own - then I offered casting pointers. Girls are great at this. They never tie wind knots, never lose flies - my older daughter fished the same tellico soft hackle for two seasons - I still have the fly.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 06 Dec 2019, 10:34, edited 2 times in total.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 11:50 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:

Yes. I always read these entries on some forums about casting 60-70-100' and wonder how they mend line or even set a hook against that much slack line. Casting has it's place, but it shouldn't be the primary goal.

The comparison question is similar to how does a train compare with an airplane; each excels at what it does best. I would say that 'glass rods are much better fishing tools than casting tools and graphite (carbon) rods are better casting tools than fishing tools, in most freshwater conditions. This is a function of the length that is optimal in each material; <9' I want 'glass over graphite, >9' 'glass becomes quite heavy, so carbon is a better choice. Fortunately an awful lot of folks bought 1960-70s 'glass rods and didn't use them hard so there is a few in the market place at reasonable cost. I'm fond of rods 7.5-8' because they go under trees better and can be two pieces but still fit in the car. If I fished lakes or flats from a boat a longer rod might be desirable and carbon might be my choice. Picking a spey rod 14' long graphite would be a given just because of weight. I'd pick a 16 ounce hammer to drive a finish nail and 16 pound maul to drive a wooden fence post.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 13:02 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
You might say what old glass rod your grandfather owned, their not all created equal.

Barry

Post 05 Dec 2019, 13:12 • #11 
Piscator
His happens to be an 8'6" Howald (Shakespeare blank) marked for Pflueger.
This rod is going to be on the heavy side, but there are several places it would fish very well, including tailwaters, big western rivers, smallies.
8'6" cane is my choice for my home tailwater, and his rod would plug right in there, especially on a windy day.
We also don't know where he's from (i.e., where he fishes).
He has another thread going on the rod, so his OP is a general question.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 13:55 • #12 
Guide
I cannot recall catching a fish that I didn’t cast to first. ;)

Post 05 Dec 2019, 14:33 • #13 
Piscator
Some of my most excellent fishing memories are fish I daubed, including laying across a sloping tree trunk over Beaverdam Creek to fish, hook and land a 16" rainbow that couldn't be cast to, and daisy chains of speckled trout surfing low-tide blackwater into the beach - I love it when the fish come to me.

I've caught trout for hours on end without making more than a couple of back-casts.
One day two kids were arguing on the bank, yes, he is, no, he isn't.
Hey, are you fly fishing?
Yes.
Then why aren't you doing this? making whipping motions
If I was doing that, I wouldn't be fishing, would I.

One fall bite, caught 70 river bass in riffles and shallow runs without making a single back-cast.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 14:48 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I've caught lots of fish where I just fed line into the current and worked the fly back and forth and fed more line and repeat; tiny parr browns and and 9" brookies from willow tunneled eastern brooks with wets and nymphs, and smallmouth and rock bass from limestone piles here in the Ozarks with jigs or shot weighted streamers. Might not meet someone's idea of flyfishing but the bait was feathers on a hook.

If that Pflueger is anything like the 8'6" Shakespeare that my long ago mentor used it should be excellent at rollcasting, Jean often used the whole line when he fished our favorite "pond", in over 12 years of fishing with and around him I never saw him make one back cast.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 15:12 • #15 
Piscator
Daubing is diagrammed and praised in Curtis Creek Manifesto

Post 05 Dec 2019, 15:36 • #16 
Guide
So is guddling, but I’ve never done that either! ;)
Great book, every beginner should get a copy.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 16:18 • #17 
Piscator
seriously, they make such a big deal of long brave casting in selling rods and "necessary" pay casting instruction, then you get to the river and most fish are caught at your feet.
Unless you show up casting, and then you won't find those.
Less than 1% of the time is the cast the deciding factor in hooking a fish, while stealth is a deciding factor 100% of the time.
Curtis Creek Manifesto is written in Idiot Guide format, and I'd call it a cute book.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 17:07 • #18 
Guide
Trev wrote:
I've caught lots of fish where I just fed line into the current and worked the fly back and forth and fed more line and repeat; tiny parr browns and and 9" brookies from willow tunneled eastern brooks with wets and nymphs, and smallmouth and rock bass from limestone piles here in the Ozarks with jigs or shot weighted streamers. Might not meet someone's idea of flyfishing but the bait was feathers on a hook.

If that Pflueger is anything like the 8'6" Shakespeare that my long ago mentor used it should be excellent at rollcasting, Jean often used the whole line when he fished our favorite "pond", in over 12 years of fishing with and around him I never saw him make one back cast.

+1
Your post reminded me of my first fish on the South Fork of the Boise.
I went with a friend and since he was experienced, I followed his lead. He was focused on dry fly fishing only. As we moved from spot to spot not catching fish, in frustration I just let my line and fly drag in the river behind me, while I was thinking, "isn't this the time to be nymphing or throwing soft hackles or streamers."

Well as we walked upstream I felt the fly line wrapped around my legs. While being a newbie, I wasn't that new to know I didn't wrap the line around my own legs. Pulled up the line and a small rainbow was hooked on my drowned dry fly.

No cast required.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 17:51 • #19 
Guide
“Vintage vs. Modern rods”

I kinda like the vintage (from before the mid ‘80s) rods, except when it comes to rods made for lines below a 5-weight. That’s because they basically don’t exist. So for rods that take lines of 3-weight or lower, I prefer modern rods.

Now I will put on my football helmet and full-body armor just in case any stones come my way.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 17:57 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I have noticed the people making the championship casting, and then becoming the next great rod and line designers do it in a swimming pool type pond and stand elevated on a platform. Those cast won't work on my creek, unless they come on a high water day and stand on the bridge. No doubt some of them also fly fish but fly line casting is a different hobby than fly rod fishing.

spielerman, there is a cure for dry flies, called spit. Mud works too. ;)

PampasPete, lines below a five weight are called "running line". :)

Post 05 Dec 2019, 18:15 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
The post almost sounds like a Troll, but:

Until recently modern graphite has been trending to faster and faster (stiffer) rods. Within the past few years they have started to dial back. Recent releases such as the Sage LL and new Scott G are still a lot faster (and lighter) than vintage glass.

So basically:

Vintage Glass:
  • there are a lot of dud's and heavy rods. (there are quite a few really nice rods too, but you do have to know what you're buying).
  • excel at 8' and under (longer and they get heavy and clunky)
  • are 6wt and higher (except for a few rare exceptions)
  • are almost indestructable compared to graphite
  • are mostly 2 piece rods (multi-piece get expensive and heavy)
  • fight fish very well. The rod acts as a spring, absorbing a lot of the jarring movement that might throw or break a hook.
  • inexpensive
Modern Graphite:
  • light
  • 9' rods are the norm and the stiffer(lighter) graphite makes for good high-stick nymphing.
  • stiff: good for nymphing and casting long distances. I end up using my reel a lot more to prevent breaking fish off.
  • multi-piece: 4pc is the norm. they can fit in your suitcase.

Modern Glass:
  • Pretty
  • still less expensive than the top of the line graphite
  • have the advantages of vintage glass with benefits of being lighter, coming in lower line weights and coming in multi-piece configurations.
  • Excel in small stream (7' 5wt and under) or presentation fishing (small flies, small tippet for big fish)

And if PampasPete needed a football helmet, I think I'll need a Kevlar vest.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 18:49 • #22 
Piscator
Bowbender68 wrote:
... I noticed a real following for the old fiberglass poles. How do these vintage rods compare to their modern graphite counterparts?

it was really a simple question

ps - similar to spielerman's experience, I was guiding Kevin Townsend on the middle Guadalupe one June for an episode of KT Diaries on endemic Guadalupe bass, letting my cats whisker drag in the current while chatting with KT in his on-camera fish, and small bass were impaling themselves on my fly.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 06 Dec 2019, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 20:39 • #23 
Master Guide
@ Bowbender68 im wondering what your grandfathers fly rod is? if your still reading, i think plenty of old glass is very similar to lots of the new glass. mostly the new glass has the technology to be built lighter than the old stuff and in lighter line weights but a good vintage 6wt or a good modern 5 wt can be very similar and/or polar opposites but still sweet.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 21:15 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Quote: "I noticed a real following for the old fiberglass poles. How do these vintage rods compare to their modern graphite counterparts?"

In a nutshell, and certainly only in my opinion, there are NO glass to graphite counterparts.
VERY GENERAL COMMENTS:
Glass is glass, and wonderful in, for the sake of argument, 8'6" or shorter - the shorter you go, the more glass rods shine. Above that length, again, in general, graphite starts to gain an edge due to the length-to-weight ratio. Saltwater as a general rule, is where/when graphite performs better, at least for me.

Nobody asked, BUT, if I had to pick one rod, for everything, I'd pick a 7'6" to 8'0" 6/7 weight GLASS rod.
Panfish - check
Trout - check
Bass in rivers - check
Bass in lakes - check

More checks than minuses that is for sure. Maybe over-gunned, maybe under-gunned, but I'd be gunned beyond my abilities in most cases.

Post 05 Dec 2019, 21:19 • #25 
Guide
The Purist wrote:
I cannot recall catching a fish that I didn’t cast to first. ;)

I can recall quite a few. I've caught fish that have grabbed the point fly that was dangling in the water as I unhooked a fish from the top dropper. I've caught fish with rod in my lap while sitting down for a rest, with the line in the water. There's one spot in the stream that I fish most often that is often productively fished by what I call "trolling" -- walking upstream next to the bank with the rod held out into the stream. I've caught fish by simply feeding line downstream into a pocket below me.

And I have doubts that what Euro-nymphers do to get their lines in the water can truly be called casting, either. They still seem to catch a lot fish.

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply