It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:38

New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Dec 2019, 05:46 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Just saw this video about the new 2020 Glass Master rods from Tiemco.
The Google translation is a bit strange so I can't really make up what the explanation is of the rod designer. The video is very nice though.

I really like the brown 7.6ft #3.! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln1iuOozHao

Post 04 Dec 2019, 07:31 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Agree -- they look like they have nice action. Thanks for the link.

Post 04 Dec 2019, 18:41 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Pretty creek and I agree that the brown rod is a touch more attractive but I don't understand a gosh darn word they're say'in. :)

Post 05 Dec 2019, 18:27 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
at 2:55 in you get to see the flex. A bit faster than I was expecting. I have an earlier "builder series" Nayoto Shibuya favorite. (GM793-5 NSF) which is a great rod. I was really impressed by the finish on a "factory" rod.

I wonder how the exchange rate is going to do over the next few months. They look neat.

Post 07 Dec 2019, 10:24 • #5 
Piscator
Starting at $650, they have a "nice" price tag.

Post 07 Dec 2019, 11:44 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I just checked out Bluedun.net

There is a Campanella special edition glass rod that they are taking orders for at $550 plus what ever fees and shipping would be.
Also their glass fenwick selection seems bigger than it used to be.

But the rod that I would get if I were ordering is the Takada glass 733.

That or a 6pc Stream. But I'm selling rods, not buying rods. (If I keep saying that, maybe it will come true.)

Post 07 Dec 2019, 12:17 • #7 
Piscator
yes, but we all know the goal of selling rods is buying rods. :hat
Something I always noticed on Clark's board - when rods and reels were in discussion on the forum, examples turned up and turned around on the want ads.

Japanese rockfish (XUL salt spinning) rods are both an old and recent topic for me, recent Arroyo City trip, Susie's experience there fishing mine, and her getting Lou to buy her one of her own. Norie S seems to be the king of the current crop, with beautiful $800 examples offered. My old (now) Rockfish rods are Takamiya, and Susie's new Major Craft are both $100 rods that fit the bill perfectly.

Post 07 Dec 2019, 15:16 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Are these GM rods made in Japan or Korea?

Post 08 Dec 2019, 10:16 • #9 
Piscator
we were going to ask you. :hat

Post 08 Dec 2019, 15:13 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
The old Glass master rods were made in Japan. I would assume these are too. These are premium rods made for the home market.

Post 25 Jan 2020, 09:59 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
After a few years I finally bit the bullet and acquired a Glass Master. The Glass Master series is Tiemco's premium fiberglass rod series. The prices depending on the model is around $650-700.
It's not the new 2020 version. This is said to be a bit faster (from what I understand in the video at the top of this topic) and only available in 7.5ft. It's also a bit 'cheaper' at around $475.

The one I got is the older series with the interesting length 7.7ft #3 in four pieces. This series is no longer made so the supply will dry out soon. There's also the six piece NSF (Naoto Shibuya) version which is supposed to be very much like the bamboo rods Shibuya makes. The action is said to be very slow parabolic. Not sure if the NSF version is still made.

The action is very smooth progressive. The tip is soft allowing short casts very easy to accomplish. The blank is slightly sanded similar to the new four piece Epic blanks. The color is dark brown, similar to the 'stout' color of Chris Barclay's p-series. I really love the smaller 'Winston Stalker' grip with cork seat and ring and cap hardware.

The build quality is quite good for a factory built rod. The only thing I can distinguish from custom built rod is the quality of the cork used. If needed it's easy to replace the grip as the butt piece has no guides. The guides are probably not Snake Brand but I'm not knowledgeable enough to see if they are or if not which brand. The rod comes in a nice and light fiberglass tube. The rod weighs 2.3 Oz.

Looking forward to do some more casting and eventually fishing in a gin clear mountain stream. Maybe in the Spanish Pyrenees this spring.

Edit:
rod is made in Korea. Probably where all the big names (Hardy, Loop, etc.) are made.

Last edited by ibookje on 27 Jan 2020, 07:36, edited 2 times in total.

Post 25 Jan 2020, 10:11 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice rod! I wouldn't be concerned about the cork unless it doesn't have a good feel in the hand. As you say, it would be easy to replace anyway. Clear mountain streams -- perfect!

Post 25 Jan 2020, 11:17 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Yes streams like this

Post 25 Jan 2020, 12:44 • #14 
Guide
Nice rod and great stream pics.

Post 26 Jan 2020, 08:19 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice, ibookje!
Fortunate to have a Takada 7'0 3wt and the Studio Thin Line 7' 3/4wt. Be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

Post 26 Jan 2020, 14:51 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice. I can't wait until spring to see your fishing pictures with it.

Carl

Post 13 Oct 2022, 19:50 • #17 
Master Guide
I’m trying to figure out the casting technique? So much for keeping the rod tip straight and wrist locked, or waiting for the backcast to start to straighten out much less accelerating to a stop. Obviously it works for the angler … is that the “long leader” fishing style that you hear about from Japan?

Post 23 Oct 2022, 16:51 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
That is the long distance/drift leader technique and it is just an exaggerated technique that works well with a high swing weight/flexible rod like the NSF.

Post 24 Oct 2022, 17:27 • #19 
Master Guide
Thanks Carlz … so that is different than the “long leader” technique? I read on one of these Glass Master translations to buy an SA Finesse Japan Custom Stream line and pair it with a Tiemco finesse leader (which surprisingly is sold on Amazon). Line arrived last week and I got it spooled up on a Ryobi 255 MG. Leader shoulder be here next week and I’ll give it a try …

Post 23 Oct 2023, 13:07 • #20 
Sport
The early Tiemco Glass Masters were designed in coordination with Mario Wojnicki (and they say so on the blank) who is highly regarded in Japan for both his glass and bamboo rods. Following Mario, Tiemco worked with Naoto Shibuya to produce the NSF (Naoto Shibuya Favorite) series. Shibuya-san's family has made urushi lacquerware for generations and he saw an opportunity to bring the craft to his bamboo rods. They are incredibly gorgeous. The softer butt might result in a slow feeling rod with a standard cast, but they readily produce a "boat loop" (looks like the prow of a boat) when used as designed. There is flex above the grip, yes, but his casting is the opposite of slow. He actually applies quite a bit of energy to the cast and this is in order to turn over long leaders (16ft minimum usually, often over 20ft) with light lines (3 and 4wt) on mountain streams that are prevalent in Japan. The softness above the grip aids in pick up to get the fly vertical and behind the caster who is using a stiff, wrist-forward hand position on the back cast. Energy for the forward cast is stored easily in the flexible butt. The casting tempo is quite elevated, not slow. The Long Drift Leaders (LDLs) have tippets typically 4-6ft long and the idea is to have the tip of the main leader hit the water first before the line and then the tippet and fly lands gently in S-loops / pile with tons of slack for a drag free drift. So you get a line and leader that lays out straight yet there is still slack for the fly. It's extremely accurate and effective for his style of fishing in the videos I have seen. The results are very similar to Italian-style casting though the method is different--both heavily emphasize getting the fly on the water before the line.

Post 27 Oct 2023, 19:56 • #21 
Master Guide
Verhampshire, great insight thanks.

Post 28 Oct 2023, 09:37 • #22 
Master Guide
I’m curious regarding how these rods might compare in action to the 3 and 4 wt black Hardy Perfection rods made around 2000 or so. Anyone who has been hands-on with both have any insights?

Post 28 Oct 2023, 12:18 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
havent handled the “specialty” Glassmaster like the NSF or Mario models,
but the base model is a very nice slow-medium progressive taper. Not nearly as soft/slow/delicate as a Hardy Perfection series.

New Topic Add Reply