It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:13

New Topic Add Reply
Lamiglas FL1027
Post 28 Nov 2019, 13:28 • #1 
Guide
Hi guys!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I picked up a Lamiglas 8’6” 7 weight a while back. Wondering if anyone can tell me a bit more about this rod. I haven’t fished it yet, but it seems to be very heavy, even for a glass 7 weight.

Clearly this rod was a home build from blanks, but that’s about all I know.

Re: Lamiglas FL1027
Post 28 Nov 2019, 14:10 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Lamiglas made good stuff, when we were kids we built many rods on that same blank, steelhead, salmon, trout, bluegills, trout, carp a 7wt did it all.

Shouldn't really be much heavier than a typical 7wt. Has it got tip over butt ferrule or spigot?

It's a pretty thing.

Post 28 Nov 2019, 14:16 • #3 
Guide
It’s a tip over butt model. Looks like a nice blank. I’m thinking this would be a good streamer rod for the full chickens I throw from time to time.

Last edited by CO Glass Guy on 29 Nov 2019, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

Post 28 Nov 2019, 14:38 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I've got this as a rod blank that I hope to build this winter. Mine is 2 piece, spigot ferrule. It doesn't feel too heavy to me, compared to comparable blanks, but then hard to tell from just a blank. I will post pictures when I am finished. I'm thinking it should make a good bass rod for sure.

Yours looks like a beautiful, quality build. Let us know how it fishes!

Post 28 Nov 2019, 15:50 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
One of their standard blanks, and a good one. The epitome of an all-around 'glass rod. Long time since I handled one, but I think it will feel a bit softer and more moderate in action than Fenwick 8 1/2s for 7 weight. Not sure, but I think that blank was produced for decades. It will be comfortable and versatile to fish.

Post 29 Nov 2019, 06:48 • #6 
Piscator
I think that reel seat dates to mid-late-70s - very similar to the one on my first WondeRod.
Looks like a nice rod that someone should finally take fishing.

Post 29 Nov 2019, 12:09 • #7 
Guide
Thanks for the info, everyone!

I’m hoping to take it out next season. I may replace the reel seat and add a fighting butt over the winter (nothing wrong with it, just my preference). I think I need to add a touch more weight in the reel seat to get it to balance well and the Featherweight seat on there is light (as the name implies). I suspect that’s why it feels heavy in hand to me.

Post 29 Nov 2019, 12:14 • #8 
Guide
Driftless wrote:
I've got this as a rod blank that I hope to build this winter. Mine is 2 piece, spigot ferrule. It doesn't feel too heavy to me, compared to comparable blanks, but then hard to tell from just a blank. I will post pictures when I am finished. I'm thinking it should make a good bass rod for sure.

Yours looks like a beautiful, quality build. Let us know how it fishes!

“Bass rod” was my first thought too when I saw this rod. Living in CO, I don’t have much opportunity to pursue them though.

I look forward to seeing the build on here! Always good to get inspiration in case I ever want to rebuild it someday.

Post 29 Nov 2019, 16:14 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
To "lighten" this blank up, I plan on a downlocking reel seat to keep the reel mass in the back and then to get my hand further up the blank, a fighting butt and 7" full wells grip, so we are on the same page.

Post 29 Nov 2019, 16:23 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Those mods could certainly put the rod more to your liking, BUT an 8 1/2' 'glass seven weight can be a great all around trout/river rod just about as that one is configured. People who built them that way knew what they were doing. At the very least, give it a try as set up, using a DT 7 line and a reel in the capacity/weight range of a Pflueger 1495. A good seven weight can be startling in its ease and versatility.

New Topic Add Reply