It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:45

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Jun 2019, 08:16 • #1 
Master Guide
Just purchased this MF75-2 Sila-flex Medallion and I'm curious about the date of manufacture? Wiki page says the 1960 MF75-2 is 7'6" in length, this one is clearly 7'7" in length. Wiki also says in 1963 when Browning purchased the company the 22975 was 7'7" in length? Could this be a transitional model? Early 1963 production before Browning made changes? Any help would be appreciated, vintage glass rods are fascinating!

ImageDSC05058 by JasonBu, on Flickr
ImageDSC05062 by JasonBu, on Flickr
ImageDSC05063 by JasonBu, on Flickr
ImageDSC05069 by JasonBu, on Flickr

On right next to Browning 222975
ImageDSC05057 by JasonBu, on Flickr

She tips the scales at 4.3oz while my Browning 222975 weights 4.7oz, feels a touch lighter in the hand and grip is also slightly slimmer. Also comes with aluminum tube compared to plastic tube on the Browning.

Thanks!
Jb

Post 21 Jun 2019, 08:59 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Fly rod lengths/specs are nominal. It depends partly on the blank's manufacture and any trimming done prior to assembly, and partly on the components used in a given production run using the same blank. That probably explains the variation you noticed, which, quite likely, isn't a variation at all.

Post 21 Jun 2019, 10:14 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
That's is a silaflex "book" from whitefish press which is just a bunch of catalogs.

I don't have it here, but the mf-75 is pre Browning. I've always guessed that the length was off because they didn't factor in the ferrule length, but that's only a guess.

Yours looks great.

Post 21 Jun 2019, 10:18 • #4 
Master Guide
Carlz, each section is exactly 46" and it measures exactly 7'7" fully assembled.

Jb

Post 21 Jun 2019, 10:38 • #5 
Sport
I love those Silaflex spiral wraps.

Post 21 Jun 2019, 12:21 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Carlz pretty much explained it. The blank itself is cut into two 45" sections (90" / 7'6") The installed sizematic ferrule adds about 1" to each section. When assembled, 1" of the male is overlapped/enclosed in the 1" female, adding a total of 1" to the assembled length, 91"/ 7'7" Even these are approximate, not having the rod in hand to measure, but the "75," meaning 7 1/2' is derived from the uncut blank length. You would have to measure; I guess it could mean 7'5", with the female and male engagement length adding a 1 1/2" inches to each section of 89"/2, or 44.5 as the length of each section before the ferrule is installed. The idea is the same, and a ruler will tell you which.

Post 21 Jun 2019, 12:35 • #7 
Piscator
choice rod and excellent condition - never owned one, but heard the early Medallion were faster glass than was being offered by Conolon and Shakespeare.

Post 21 Jun 2019, 19:39 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I have the MF80-2, and my rod appears to be older than yours, though still in great shape. An old friend of mine who was a fly shop owner and guide said he had one as a young man, and it was the best roll casting rod he ever owned. I let a Master Casting Instructor try it out one time, and he was amazed at how well the old rod cast, especially on the roll cast. And I believe Ron is right, it does have a little faster action than the older Conolon and Shakespeares I have cast. The Medallion series was introduced in late 1952 and continued for several years. I can't find any reference for when they stopped production on this series, but certainly by 1970 when Silaflex was acquired by Browning. For the time it was an expensive rod, listing at $65 in 1955. The earlier models like mine had Foulproof guides and tip tops and a cork reel seat, and mine does not have Sizematic ferrules. I believe yours is one of the later models, probably produced shortly before the acquisition by Browning.

Larry

Post 02 Jul 2019, 16:34 • #9 
Sport
Hey Jasonbu,

I have a copy of A Documentary History of Sila-Flex Fishing Rods 1948-1963 edited by Todd E.A. Larson. Yes, as carlz said, it is "just" a set of catalog copies. But, for how many rod/tackle companies is such a marvelous reference available? And, there is a bit more history provided by Warren Jenks, Herb’s brother.

The January 1, 1963 Browning wholesale rod pricelist is included. On it is:

Medallion 22975 Fly 7’7” 4.1 oz

The 1962 Sila-Flex catalog has:

Medallion Fly Cutthroat MF75-2-RAF 7’6” 3.9 oz

Further, 1962 text states “new Responsive Action Fiberglas” (RAF) described as a new type of fiberglass with extra sensitivity and a smoother response to casting and fish action (a breakthrough in reinforced resin technology). Well, RAF was introduced in the 1960 catalog. Even so, that should make it possible to differentiate from earlier Medallions that go back to 1952 (the earliest blanks were up to an ounce heavier).

The 1961 Sila-Flex catalog has:

Medallion Fly MF75-2 7’6” “a glass rod with that ‘Bamboo’ feel” (a little confusing since this is in the RAF period)

In addition, 1961 describes the ferrules as having an interior taper to assure positioning (gold anodized). Could this be the Featherweight Sizematic ferrule? I have some Sila-Flex fly rods (including Medallions) in a storage unit that I haven’t looked at for over 6 years, so I don’t remember the specifics of their ferrules (I should add that to my spreadsheet). Plus, my chance at memory is overwhelmed by the many red-anodized Super-Z’s I’ve seen on my Sila-Flex spinning rods.

Anyway, hopefully this info may be somewhat helpful. Looking at this has been useful to orient me.

John

P.S. So now, I see in the 1957 catalog under the MF75-2 description, “The enthusiastic reports from every section of the country have gratified us on this softer actioned 7½ ft. Medallion.” Hmm. 1957 rods were really soft and this one’s softer. So, it may be Sila-Flex chose to keep the MF75-2 softer for some time.

Post 11 May 2020, 18:50 • #10 
Master Guide
John, here is the MF75-2-RAF (Cutthroat)

Sandman

Post 15 May 2020, 19:20 • #11 
Sport
I've had a F75-2 Silaflex I bought from Clark Davis. It was 7'8", and pretty soft. I've also had a MF80-2 Medallion RAF. The Johnson book said that the Medallion series were supposed to be noticeably lighter, but this wasn't. It was a clearer, rootbbeer colored blank that was faster in the tip, and stiffer than it should have been for the designated line weight.

New Topic Add Reply