It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:51

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Feb 2020, 12:37 • #26 
Guide
whrlpool wrote:
Well I have to say I don't understand the conundrum.

A suitable reel and line(s) are easy enough to come by, and the rod can be checked out in hand for condition and approximate performance. Depending on its personal appeal, two twenties ought to do it. Less appeal, offer to pay the recycling or landfill fee in exchange for the rod, or say you'll have to paint it to match the Dutton trout prints in your den so you'll give $25 for it. Let the seller's response decide.

Or pay a fair price and offer it to someone else as a favor.

No conundrum here; $50 is a fair price.

Please note that I'm a newbie with fly fishing and glass in particular.
I do not own any line over 6wt, and never cast any fly rod rated with this weight line, so my experience is lacking.
Looking for any insights on a rod with little information online, and even on this board to get my foundation set.

Thanks for the advice.

Post 08 Feb 2020, 20:17 • #27 
Master Guide
I thought the answer was always yes, you need it. Otherwise I’m done buying rods and need to sell a bunch off :eek :eek

Post 08 Feb 2020, 21:56 • #28 
Master Guide
Spielerman, did you buy his FF755 he had for sale too? Looked unused...I intended to buy all three (FF70, FF755, 655) from him, but got sidetracked...

Sandman

Post 09 Feb 2020, 17:18 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
I look at it as "rescuing "some of this stuff.If they want 40 i offer 20.Usually pay 25.If i decide i wont use it i resell it or lately gifting.I think people will give it a shot realizing they dont have to spend a couple hundred on a beginner out fit.They dont have to fish for trout,i show them i can trow 50feet of line so anyone can do it.That pond in the park down the street is full of bluegills bass and carp getting fat on all the crap people feed the geese and ducks.Casting a flyrod is fun ,like shooting arrows or hitting golf balls.The better you get the more fun it is.

Post 14 Feb 2020, 16:33 • #30 
Guide
Sandman,
Looks like you are in Portland.
This guy is in Star Idaho.
He told me recently the 755 was sold, trying to pick up the Harnell today if schedules allow (I tend to get sidetracked too).

Then it is off to find some DT 7 weight line.

Post 14 Feb 2020, 17:02 • #31 
Master Guide
We had worked out a shipping sale...post some photos to this thread when you get a chance...they are beautiful rods.

Sandman

Post 15 Feb 2020, 15:02 • #32 
Guide
Here you go Sandman, sorry for crappy camera photos.

Main bottom half of guide wrap was refinished and matches well. Top of cork grip is flattened on reel side of grip. Doesn't look like fished much looking at tip seismic ferrule still has all paint on it.

Is it normal to say 655 and not 655R?

Last edited by spielerman on 17 Feb 2020, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Feb 2020, 12:04 • #33 
Piscator
since they all end in R, we figure the R is just for redundant

Post 17 Feb 2020, 15:39 • #34 
Master Guide
spielerman, looks nice a nice rod for $50...

Bulldog, did you notice this one doesn't have the one piece cork like both of mine do? I'm assuming it's later production than the solid cork rods...

Sandman

Post 17 Feb 2020, 15:41 • #35 
Piscator
mine with the same reel seat has ring cork - highest grade ring cork I've ever seen

Post 17 Feb 2020, 15:45 • #36 
Master Guide
Identical to my rods other than the cork...

Sandman

Post 17 Feb 2020, 18:09 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Any that say Venice have to be from the first partnership, correct? Someone mentioned the R in the trademark, I guess with no R would be the earliest, but mine has the solid short really sharp curves in the grip and a seat much like my Denco, and the R in the trademark. Mine also has no mylar. The model number on mine is hand written, is one thing earlier than another or did these all occur during the same time?
Things I've read make me think most of the Harrington rods were sold as blanks, and given the time in production it would seem most of those were likely made in Mo. after John's death? I seem to recall one guy saying he'd bought hundreds of them (casting blanks) from Jean, but memory isn't always reliable.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply