It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:41

New Topic Add Reply
1971 Phillipson Catalog
Post 21 Feb 2019, 11:00 • #1 
Master Guide
I’m thinking some of us here would like to see this one again! Original prices included.

Enjoy,

Russ

Post 21 Feb 2019, 11:42 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Cool, thanks for that!

Post 21 Feb 2019, 12:57 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
+1 -- great look into Phillipson history.

Post 21 Feb 2019, 13:35 • #4 
Master Guide
Very nice!

And very interesting. I notice the Bamboo Dry Fly Special included an extra handle to use on the middle section to make a 6' 2" ultra light fly rod. I wonder how well this worked? Has this been done much with glass rods?

Post 22 Feb 2019, 08:57 • #5 
Sport
Always like to see their casting rod offset reel seats. Thanks for posting this.

Post 01 Feb 2021, 18:03 • #6 
Thanks for posting the 71 catalog and price sheet together.

Post 04 Feb 2021, 14:06 • #7 
Guide
Nice post. The “golden band” on the Royal Wand ferrules adds to the evidence that Phillipson supplied blanks to Farlow Sharpe for their Gold Band series (I hadn’t noticed the similar wording before) that I investigated a while back viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66181

Assuming the same blanks were used in the Royal Wand and Gold Band ranges it is interesting (to me at least) that Phillipson offered shorter rods than Sharpe, who offered longer rods than Phillipson.

Seeing Phillipson offering impregnated cane rods has me wondering whether they sourced blanks from Sharpe as part the deal?

Based in Wales, I thought I was seeing something new with the Master rods offering “half welsh cork handle”, then I realised it was a typo for ‘wells’. :)

Post 04 Feb 2021, 14:36 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
excellent, thank you..

Post 04 Feb 2021, 18:24 • #9 
Administrator
Mahseer wrote:
Assuming the same blanks were used in the Royal Wand and Gold Band ranges it is interesting (to me at least) that Phillipson offered shorter rods than Sharpe, who offered longer rods than Phillipson.
Usually companies offered rods selected from the Phillipson lineup, but exceptions happened. The noted Farlow, Sharpe is a 9'6" rod for a 7/8 weight line. Orvis sold a 9' Golden Eagle rod for a 6 weight line that I have not seen in a Phillipson catalog. In addition, Cortland sold their Crown rods with an odd metal female ferrule on the rod tip. The glass butt section fits into the ferrule. I have not seen this fitting elsewhere (except in a drawer Phillipson stock at Rick's Rods - photo below).

Mahseer wrote:
Seeing Phillipson offering impregnated cane rods has me wondering whether they sourced blanks from Sharpe as part the deal?
Probably not. Bill Phillipson ran the Granger shop before WWII and started his own cane rod shop after the war. His Peerless line of rods were impregnated cane and marketed from the 50s into the 70s when the company was sold to 3M.

Mahseer wrote:
Based in Wales, I thought I was seeing something new with the Master rods offering “half welsh cork handle”, then I realised it was a typo for ‘wells’. :)
The typical 'half wells grip' is curvy, like a Fenwick grip. The Phillipson 'welsh' style is a long taper that increases toward the rod tip. However, I can't find any references to a welsh grip that don't lead back to a Phillipson rod or catalog.

Tom

Post 05 Feb 2021, 06:29 • #10 
Guide
Dhhh....I should have searched the Forum before mouthing off about welsh being a typo. Thanks for enlightening my ignorance Tom. But never heard of this style in Wales. I will consult our local tackle collectors on what they know.

However, a wider web search did find another user of Welsh handles: the Scierra company currently offers a landing net with “a full Welsh handle” in cork, and it clearly is not a typo (though some of their retailers seem to think it is).

New Topic Add Reply