It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:22

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Dec 2018, 21:29 • #1 
Sport
Hi all. I'm new to this forum but am loving it so far. I recently posted in the "wanted" section about looking for original yellow Scott PowR Ply era glass rods. One of you awesome forum members directed me to a vintage tackle dealer in FL earlier this morning and after a couple phone calls and early-on dashed hope and broken dreams (another buyer beat me to the punch), I had given up. Then, my phone rang at 2PM this afternoon and the tackle dealer let me know that the original buyer backed out, and I was next in line. I hit the fly rod lottery, hah!

I'm now the proud owner of 2 - yes 2 - vintage Scott glass rods. I have a (2 7/8 oz) F75 - 7'6", 4-piece 5wt with gold anodized slide-band reel seat and a F84 - 8'4", 2-piece 5wt with a rose gold anodized slide-band reel seat, now in my collection, both in their original tubes. I would love some more info on these rods if anyone out there has any they could share. I'll try to post photos... we'll see. Looks like it won't let me do it from my iPad. May have to upload them later when I get back to my computer. I'm currently traveling.

Is there a gouge on interpreting serial numbers? The serial number "looks" like 73-775, as best I can tell but the first digits have almost completely worn off of the 4-piece rod, but I hope there's enough left of it to be helpful with dating it, etc. The 8'4" rod has a serial number of K84-2099.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post 30 Dec 2018, 06:20 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Nice!
Can you post some pictures of your rods?

Post 30 Dec 2018, 09:20 • #3 
Master Guide
I have an f84. It's a decent rod. The k in the serial number means it was a kit rod.

Post 30 Dec 2018, 12:48 • #4 
Sport
Hopefully this works for photos...

Post 31 Dec 2018, 09:32 • #5 
Sport
novisor12 wrote:
I have an f84. It's a decent rod. The k in the serial number means it was a kit rod.

Thanks for this info! That makes sense. The wraps and epoxy on this rod are not what I would call "Scott quality" and the threads are a different color on the upper half of the rod than on the lower section, so I can see how it would have been a kit rod. Looks like the writing may have still been done by Harry Wilson, and possibly the grip too.

Post 31 Dec 2018, 09:52 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Someone may remember--I don't although I knew a guy who built a Scott kit rod and saw it from the start as he worked on it--what state of finish the kits were supplied in. I think they may have been "labeled"/marked so they would have had HW's writing, and they may have been supplied with the grip and/or reel seat installed. Pretty sure these were packaged up from a very lean inventory as they were ordered.

Another dusty adventure in the attic I am not up for, even knowing I have FFM with advertisements--small ones in the back pages--for Scott 'glass. Somebody will have better detail anyhow.

Post 06 Jan 2021, 19:57 • #7 
Sport
whrlpool wrote:
Someone may remember--I don't although I knew a guy who built a Scott kit rod and saw it from the start as he worked on it--what state of finish the kits were supplied in. I think they may have been "labeled"/marked so they would have had HW's writing, and they may have been supplied with the grip and/or reel seat installed. Pretty sure these were packaged up from a very lean inventory as they were ordered.

Another dusty adventure in the attic I am not up for, even knowing I have FFM with advertisements--small ones in the back pages--for Scott 'glass. Somebody will have better detail anyhow.

whrlpool - if you happen to find one of those vintage Scott ads in the back of your old FFM stash, I'd be interested in acquiring a copy or two, if that's something of interest!

Post 08 Jan 2021, 12:10 • #8 
Guide
Kits had grips and reel seats installed and were inscribed with model and a serial number that began with K. A set of guides and a spacing chart were included. They went through production the same as finished rods but were pulled as needed before being wrapped.

Post 14 Mar 2023, 15:40 • #9 
Sport
Are these rods worth anything?

Thanks
Matt

Post 14 Mar 2023, 18:02 • #10 
Administrator
Early Scott glass rods? I'll tell you different answers depending on whether you are selling it to me or somebody else...

Tom

Post 14 Mar 2023, 19:20 • #11 
Sport
I should have been more specific. Early Scott’s that have the K before the model. The kit rods.

Post 14 Mar 2023, 20:52 • #12 
Administrator
Yes, they are of value. Early Scott rods were renowned for a good reason. There is no stash of early Scott blanks in a storage locker. A kit rod isn't as collectible as a factory rod, but still has the same motor inside.

Typically, for three rods in the same cosmetic/functional condition, the factory built rod has the most value, because both fishermen and collectors are interested. Unbuilt rod blanks and kits, with a known provenance, are next, because they can still be built out in whatever manner the buyer desires. Built kit rods and rod blanks rarely sell for more than the unbuilt rod blank. If the kit rod was built poorly, sometimes it can be found at a considerable discount. If your goal is simply to fish with a given rod, the kit rod can be the best buy.

Tom

Post 15 Mar 2023, 13:39 • #13 
Sport
Thanks for all of the info! I think I’ll fish it.
It’s an 8ft9in 9wt. 5oz. 2pc.
From what I can tell an early 70’s rod in great shape. Looks to have a factory handle, reel seat and butt as well as the factory writing. I’ll post some pics tomorrow.
Much appreciated!
Pics added. Also the ferrules don’t seem to go together as far as normal. I tried cleaning them and it’s still doesn’t seem to fit right. Any ideas on how far these should go in?

Post 15 Mar 2023, 14:07 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Please, please, please DO NOT force fit a spigot ferrule. Do some searching here first. Even a larger that usual gap may not be problematic if there is plenty of engagement. What is "normal" for one rod may not be for another. I'm sure someone can give an approximate range for that blank, but there will still be some + or - tolerance. If the fit is really way, way off with little engagement, look for an obstruction on the spigot, or more likely inside the blank, which could be found with a probe--something the doesn't just wipe out with routine cleaning.

A pic or two of the assembled ferrule--snug but not forced--next to a ruler would really help somebody familiar with that particular blank.

Post 15 Mar 2023, 14:25 • #15 
Administrator
Gorgefly wrote:

Also the ferrules don’t seem to go together as far as normal. I tried cleaning them and it’s still doesn’t seem to fit right. Any ideas on how far these should go in?

That is a very large gap. How much spigot length fits into the ferrule? Does the ferrule have a clear finish on the spigot?

Tom

Post 18 Mar 2023, 12:34 • #16 
Sport

It only goes about half an inch or into the female side.
See pics.

Thoughts?

Post 18 Mar 2023, 14:49 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I'm suspecting the female part has been shortened.
Are both sections equal length?

Post 18 Mar 2023, 16:36 • #18 
Sport
Yes they are equal lengths.

Post 18 Mar 2023, 22:21 • #19 
Administrator
In a couple photos it looks like the original builder extended the finish from the ferrule wrap up onto the male ferrule. The spigot ferrule should not have any finish on it.

Tom

Post 18 Mar 2023, 22:40 • #20 
Sport
I’ll look closer. Could be. What would be the best way to remove the finish if it is there?

Post 19 Mar 2023, 15:54 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
The female ferrule looks a bit odd to me.
The SF rods I owned have female ferrules with wraps all the way to the end of the female ferrules

Post 19 Mar 2023, 16:47 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Yes. That gap is excessive, and the female is not wrapped as it should be. A guess is that the rod was damaged and a hasty/careless repair was made, or started and never completed. A likely scenario was that the original length of that section was shortened after the female split at its end, which would have, or should have been wrapped. That leaves the rest of the female "fitting" as it did, but without sufficient engagement, because 1/2 inch, give or take, is now missing, the split part having been cut away. The spigot should have been replaced or refit to seat more deeply. Possibly there was damage to its fitting in the lower section as well. Runs of finish inside or on the spigot may complicate the fit. Bottom line, it was likely a sloppy amateur build or repair. It would be easy to redo for a better fit, but that's a subject to search or ask about in the Rod Building section. Personally, if a nice old Scott blank like that fell in my lap, with only that problem in the lower most ferrule, I would probably just refit with an external sleeve or coventional ferrule and go fishing. Neither way is ideal, just quicker. Others would want it more cosmetically and structurally sound, and make a more complete repair to include a good fitting spigot, wraps at the ferrules and a refinish.

Post 20 Mar 2023, 08:36 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
In a couple photos it looks like the original builder extended the finish from the ferrule wrap up onto the male ferrule. The spigot ferrule should not have any finish on it.

Tom

That looks plausible. If that's the case you will need to use extremely fine wet or dry or steel wool to remove finish - like 2000 to 6000.

Post 20 Mar 2023, 19:34 • #24 
Sport
This is a kit rod with the K before the serial number so it was not factory wrapped. Maybe it was built incorrectly from the beginning? It doesn’t look like it has been damaged.

Post 21 Mar 2023, 16:00 • #25 
Guide
That's a nice old steelhead rod from the '70s and I'm curious about the serial number. Can you list it? But the wrap on the female ferrule looks correct to me. Kit rods on old yellow Scotts came with yellow reinforcing wraps on both male (about 7/16") and female (about 1.5") with alignment dots in black. Both wraps were doubled at the end - maybe 5/16" on the tip/female and 1/8"-3/16" on the butt/male. Dots went on the double wrapped areas. If the male won't fit into the tip more than half an inch, there's something in or on the ferrule, the guide wrap was done with far too much tension, one or the other ferrule sides has been crushed slightly, or the tip has been trimmed to refit the ferrule. Or some combination of those. Worry about cracks and crushing first as that would require some work to correct. If you've cleaned both male and female and neither is crushed or cracked, try inserting the ferrule to where it won't go in any further (don't force it) then twist the male a dozen of so times quickly and remove it. You may be able to see where it's bearing or you can touch the spigot to your lip to feel where it's hot. You should also see residue of anything that's an obstruction and you can carefully scrape that away with a small round fie or dental pick. You can remove the guide wrap and see if the fit improves. If the tip/female has been shortened in an attempt to refit, you can gently reduce the diameter of the spigot with 220 grit sandpaper, twisting the ferrule between your fingers and the sand paper and going very slow. You want to keep the taper of the spigot the same as the inside of the female. Let us know what you discover.
Larry

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply