It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:53

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Mar 2023, 19:11 • #26 
Sport
Thanks Larry
I didn’t think the wraps looked weird. I don’t think the pics I posted made it very easy for people to see but you are correct, there are yellow reinforcement wraps there. I’ll do some tinkering and look into it more this weekend and post my findings. The rod is in excellent shape overall though. Doesn’t look like it was used much. Here’s a pic of the serial number.
Can you tell the age? Has the name Al Siebert on the other side.

Thanks!
Matt

Post 23 Mar 2023, 20:23 • #27 
Guide
The serial number puts it at 1975. Signature is Harry's but I probably ferruled the blank and did the grip and reel seat. Did you solve the ferrule fit problem?

Post 24 Mar 2023, 20:53 • #28 
Sport
No I will have sone time hopefully this weekend to take a look at it. Do these rods age well? Would you fish it or just put it in the college room? I live in the heart of steelhead country but must if my steelheading is with two handers. I’m a little nervous about hooking up with chrome on this old beauty. That’s assuming I can solve the ferrule issue.

So I cleaned the inside of the ferrule with alcohol and q-tips as well as the male part again with a magic eraser and alcohol and now I believe it’s fitting as it should. The gap is now 3/8 of an inch. The ferrule fits all the way to the gray mark I put in the male side in the pic I attached here.
I felt confident in testing her out once I got the ferrule to fit so I threw on a St. Aidan and a Cortland Peach WF9 and the rod casts beautifully! Very impressive. A keeper for sure!
Thanks for all of the advice everyone on the thread here!

Post 10 Jun 2023, 13:06 • #29 
Sport
Anyone know the likely value of this rod? I’m torn on it. Ferrules are fitting good. Just needed cleaning well. I love the way it casts but I don’t use single handers in those line weights. Probably keep it for collection but it won’t likely get fished.

Post 29 Nov 2023, 23:36 • #30 
Sport
Anyone know of a fair listing price for this rod? It’s super cool but I just don’t see myself fishing it much.

The rod I’m referring to is the Scott I originally posted about.

Post 19 Jan 2024, 21:41 • #31 
Sport
I’m thinking of posting this for sale but I honestly don’t know its value since it’s a kit rod. I thought I’d fish it but I really don’t use single handers in the 9wt range for anything. If I’m fishing rod weights that high I’m using my two handers. Anyone have an idea on this? Pics are above in thread. If this is not the appropriate thread for this where should I post this question.

Thanks
Matt

Post 20 Jan 2024, 14:50 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
You're best bet on value is looking at SOLD ebay listings If this was a 6wt or less, the value would be significant for a vintage glass rod. As for a 9wt, much less so. Still, probably over $200 but my guess is less than $300. Maybe less since it's a kit rod. There just aren't as many people looking for large glass rods.

I would go out, fish it once or twice and then move it on. Either it has magic in it, or not.

Post 20 Jan 2024, 14:55 • #33 
Sport
Thanks! I did cast it and loved it with a DT 9wt Peach. It s amazing how these old Scotts perform. I just know I won’t use it. I have the original tube and bag as well.
I might list it here and see what happens. I just didn’t want to list it too high.

Thanks
Matt

Post 20 Jan 2024, 14:58 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
My guess is here, it's on the lower end. We're a bunch of cheap Codgers. And picky for factory rods.

Post 20 Jan 2024, 15:04 • #35 
Sport
Once I have a chance to get it out and take more pics I’ll post it here in the range you suggested and see what happens. It has a metal reel seat and would probably make a great vintage saltwater stick. Powerful for sure.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply